If Rowand was moved...

Wanne

I've been thinking about this ever since I've been reading about Rowand being possible bait. I'm thinking for who. A few teams mentioned were the Yanks and I believe Marlins. What about if the Mets move Cameron...and KW was looking for a left hand stick...do you think the Mets would move Floyd? Just a rambling thought....but my original question...would people be ok with Pods moving to CF. I know this debate was rampant last year. Obviously his arm is much weeker (but not as week as OneDog's was).

People really get wrapped around the axle on arm strength in the outfield, but it only comes into play on a very low percentage of plays. I can see the benefit of a strong arm being a deterent from running, but I think it is somewhat overrated.

If a player can cover more ground, then he will actually catch more balls and make more outs with speed, while a weak arm will give up a couple of more advancing runners and sacrifices. So it normally comes down to the lesser of two evils.

I can see Pods in CF, but like bschmaranz said, as long as the LF and RF have some guys that will hold runners.

Rowand actually made more plays with his feet and glove than he did with his arm, so I don't think it would have that much of an impact as one would believe.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
I've been thinking about this ever since I've been reading about Rowand being possible bait.  I'm thinking for who.  A few teams mentioned were the Yanks and I believe Marlins.  What about if the Mets move Cameron...and KW was looking for a left hand stick...do you think the Mets would move Floyd?  Just a rambling thought....but my original question...would people be ok with Pods moving to CF.  I know this debate was rampant last year.  Obviously his arm is much weeker (but not as week as OneDog's was).

With the right arms around him, yes. But I don't see any LF's that we'd be likely to go after anyway. It all depends on what we gain from the scenario. I'd give a little on CF defense if we gained big in other areas.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
People really get wrapped around the axle on arm strength in the outfield, but it only comes into play on a very low percentage of plays.  I can see the benefit of a strong arm being a deterent from running, but I think it is somewhat overrated. 

If a player can cover more ground, then he will actually catch more balls and make more outs with speed, while a weak arm will give up a couple of more advancing runners and sacrifices.  So it normally comes down to the lesser of two evils.

I can see Pods in CF, but like bschmaranz said, as long as the LF and RF have some guys that will hold runners.

Rowand actually made more plays with his feet and glove than he did with his arm, so I don't think it would have that much of an impact as one would believe.

The problem with Pods is that he doesnt have an arm, and he gets bad jumps. Thats a bad mix to have in centerfield..

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
Pods should never play CF unless it's in emergency duty!

True...that's pretty much what I was thinkin too. As for what Al Lopez said...Pods' does get poor jumps in LF...and I know this sounds weird and shouldn't be the case...but it's easier to get good jumps in CF than the corners...you just have a better perspective for the ball hit, where the pitch is, the swing, etc...that's how I've always felt playing there anyway.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
True...that's pretty much what I was thinkin too.  As for what Al Lopez said...Pods' does get poor jumps in LF...and I know this sounds weird and shouldn't be the case...but it's easier to get good jumps in CF than the corners...you just have a better perspective for the ball hit, where the pitch is, the swing, etc...that's how I've always felt playing there anyway.

You're correct. Not only is easier to get a good read on the ball, but Pods has more experience and is more comfortable in CF. Still, I'd rather him stay in LF.

I never saw Anderson in the field as a minor leaguer, but I can recall him looking very average defensively with the big league club.  If he's going to be replacing ARow's glove, I hope y'all are right about him being better.

I remember the exact opposite. Anderson made a few great catches in left field and center field. I think he also made a nice throw from center field and helped rack up a double play. I'm pretty sure he was perfect in the few games he played in the outfield.