Blockbuster Move -- Boston & Florida

nitetrain8601

Beckett & Lowell for Blalock & pitching prospect.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Pitcher Josh Beckett, the Most Valuable Player of the 2003 World Series, may soon be headed back to his home state of Texas next season along with third baseman Mike Lowell.

In what could be the first step of a major housecleaning in Florida, the Marlins and Rangers are close to completing a trade that would send Beckett and Lowell to Texas for first baseman Hank Blalock and a top pitching prospect, two baseball sources said Friday night.

The deal, characterized as "well in the works," has been brokered in the past couple of days between Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria and Rangers owner Tom Hicks, an American League source said.

But both sources said the deal could fall apart because the Rangers are reluctant to part with one of their coveted pitching prospects.

The Marlins are asking for either left-hander John Danks, Texas' first-round pick in 2003, or right-hander Thomas Diamond, the team's first-round pick in 2004.

The Rangers' reluctance to part with one of those pitchers is the only obstacle in the deal, but a major one that ultimately could kill it, a source said.

The deal would send Beckett, a native of Spring, Texas, outside Houston, to the Rangers while giving Lowell a fresh start in the American League after a miserable 2005 season.

Beckett said he had heard rumors the past couple of months that he might be traded but he was not aware of the Rangers deal until he was told by a reporter late Friday.

"It hasn't happened yet,'' he said. "I think I'd rather reserve my comments until there's some validity to it.''

Beckett was the second overall pick of the June 1999 draft, but has struggled since then to stay free of injuries. He has been nagged by blister problems.

But he also has displayed fits of brilliance, with his career highlight coming in Game 6 of the 2003 World Series when he pitched a shutout at Yankee Stadium to clinch Florida's first championship since 1997.

He posted his best regular-season statistics in 2005, going 15-8 with a 3.38 ERA in 29 starts. If Beckett is traded, left-hander Dontrelle Willis would be the only returning veteran to Florida's rotation in 2006.

Blalock, the MVP of the 2003 All-Star Game, is owed $13.5 million over the next three years from a five-year, $15.25 million contract he signed before the 2004 season. It is not clear how much of that, if any, the Rangers would assume.

Blalock, who turns 25 on Monday, hit 25 home runs with 92 RBI in 2005 while batting.263. He has averaged just under 29 home runs in each of his past three seasons.

His arrival would expedite the Marlins' efforts to trade first baseman Carlos Delgado, who is owed $48 million over the next three years — money the Marlins cannot afford.

Lowell is owed $9 million each in 2006 and 2007, and Beckett, who made $2.4 million in 2005, could make at least $4 million next season.

Loria, according to one source, wanted to complete the deal before he left the country on a trip to Italy, presumably in the next week. A Marlins source said Loria was already in Europe on Friday.

Danks went 4-10 with a 5.49 ERA in 18 games, 17 starts for Class AA Frisco, Texas. Diamond went 5-4 with a 5.35 ERA in 14 games for Frisco.

The Marlins also are pushing hard to trade center fielder Juan Pierre, and the Colorado Rockies have expressed an interest in catcher Paul Lo Duca. The team is trying to cut payroll because of financial problems exacerbated by a stalled stadium effort.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...rlins_1119.html

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delgado available? I think not

If they are willing to deal Josh Beckett, who turns 26 next year, and Lowell while his value is at its lowest, for Blalock, who is solid but not spectacular, and a stud pitching prospect, then I think it shows they are clearly building around Cabrera and Delgado.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)
Delgado available?  I think not

If they are willing to deal Josh Beckett, who turns 26 next year, and Lowell while his value is at its lowest, for Blalock, who is solid but not spectacular, and a stud pitching prospect, then I think it shows they are clearly building around Cabrera and Delgado.

Well from Florida fans, I hear that they will be keeping Cabrera at 3B and moving Blalock to 1B once they move Delgado. Who knows though?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 12:20 AM)
Well from Florida fans, I hear that they will be keeping Cabrera at 3B and moving Blalock to 1B once they move Delgado. Who knows though?

I don't buy it. The fact that they are trying to move Pierre($6 mill) and LoDuca($6.25 mill) signals to me that Delgado will almost undoubtedly be a Marlin next year.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 12:20 AM)

It would make sense since cabrera is practicaly their franchise player and moving him back to his natural position wouldn't surprise me.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 12:26 AM)
I don't buy it.  The fact that they are trying to move Pierre($6 mill) and LoDuca($6.25 mill) signals to me that Delgado will almost undoubtedly be a Marlin next year.

Well moving Delgado would be easier than moving the both of those guys. Plus, that means they get to keep those guys and save a mil, rather than trading them and keeping Delgado. I think Delgado will be a Met or Oriole next year.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
Delgado available?  I think not

I don't think so and that is clearly a horrible move by the Marlins on a sidenote.

That would be foolish.  Blalock is a pretty solid 3rd baseman.

Well, if the Marlins go that route and move Miguel Cabrera to third base and put Blalock at first base, they would need another outfielder.

Rowand, Marte, and a pitching prospect for Delgado?

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)
Well moving Delgado would be easier than moving the both of those guys. Plus, that means they get to keep those guys and save a mil, rather than trading them and keeping Delgado. I think Delgado will be a Met or Oriole next year.

I don't buy it as easier. Sure, it's easier to get rid of a top 5 1Bman in the game with 3 years left on his deal, but you are not going to get market value for him.

Getting rid of a solid CFer in his contract year who had a down year last year? Very easy to get good value, especially when teams have shown interest in him. Getting rid of an overpaid catcher who is rather mediocre overall? Very easy, especially when atleast one team has shown some pretty solid interest in him as well.

No way in hell does Delgado get moved.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 05:33 PM)
I don't think so and that is clearly a horrible move by the Marlins on a sidenote.

Yeah Jon Daniels first major move as a GM is definitely a good one. They really needed a starter (maybe the prospect could be someone like Diamond?), and Lowell vs. Blalock is actually almost a wash besides the salaries.

My guess is Lowell will go back to his previous form, and this season was an aberration.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 09:51 PM)
It clearly looks like the marlins are trying to take a page out of the Billy Beane handbook--cut payroll but still stay competitive. Can't say I blame them with how few fans showed up, even when they got Delgado.

Say this trade pulls off e.g Danks is included. Florida's rotation next season could look like this;

Willis

Vargas

Olson

Moehler

Valdez

Shows how badly they need that new stadium though, and how Beinfest has a LOT of work to do.

In what could be the first step of a major housecleaning in Florida, the Marlins and Rangers are close to completing a trade that would send Beckett and Lowell to Texas for first baseman Hank Blalock and a top pitching prospect, two baseball sources said Friday night.

That to me signals that the Marlins are still trying to move Delgado, especially if this trade goes through. And who knows, maybe Cabrera isnt as good as Blalock at third and ends up going to first.

On a side note, is John Danks related to the White Sox draft pick Jordan Danks who went to the University of Texas instead of signing?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
Say this trade pulls off e.g Danks is included. Florida's rotation next season could look like this;

Willis

Vargas

Olson

Moehler

Valdez

Shows how badly they need that new stadium though, and how Beinfest has a LOT of work to do.

It would like the A's minus Hudson and Mulder, and power arms. The marlins must be counting on their offense carrying them.

I really like Hank Blalock and Larry Beinfest is one of the five best Gm's in the sport, but you CANT trade Beckett. He has had health issues but he can win you a ring. They will rue the day they let this guy go. This is a no-brainer for pitchign-starved Texas. Danks and Diamond will likely both be good but Beckettology is a number one starter

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
I really like Hank Blalock and Larry Beinfest is one of the five best Gm's in the sport, but you CANT trade Beckett. He has had health issues but he can win you a ring. They will rue the day they let this guy go. This is a no-brainer for pitchign-starved Texas. Danks and Diamond will likely both be good but Beckettology is a number one starter

Texas has been pitching-starved for quite awhile.

They can't seem to develop good pitching.

You'd think that they would check themselves and adjust their scouting and minor league pitching coaches.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 06:18 AM)
That to me signals that the Marlins are still trying to move Delgado, especially if this trade goes through.  And who knows, maybe Cabrera isnt as good as Blalock at third and ends up going to first.

On a side note, is John Danks related to the White Sox draft pick Jordan Danks who went to the University of Texas instead of signing?

He is the older brother and a stud pitching prospect. He's a major reason why Danks opted for college. His family is financially secure so he really didn't have to worry as much about the money aspect.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
you guys are absolutely nuts if you think the Marlins are going to trade Beckett with two more years left of arbitration.

I don't buy any of this garbage.  The Marlins are looking to cut payroll, but aren't going to dump everyone not named Cabrera or Willis to do so.

We aren't speculating. Its the report going around throughout the media. It sounds like its got a lot of backing too and there are some baseball people quoting that its looking like a likely deal.

That said, its not a done deal. Even if the Fish deal for Blalock, am I the only one that wouldn't be shocked to see him moved again. Florida isn't going to want him, I assume he's due a pretty big raise/long term deal and if he is already signed to a long term deal I'm guessing they won't want to pay him.

If they trade Beckett for a bat they are idiots.