Walk The Line

sox4lifeinPA

Solid Film... MUCH better than "Ray".

Phoenix is great, but probably won't win the oscar. They should probably revoke Jaime Foxx's after watching "Stealth". :bang

Reese Witherspoon is cute as usually, and doesn't bog things down.

*spoiler*

They only show up until like 1968, which I think misses some other key things in his life, but maybe we can expect a part II where he hangs with Billy Graham, and a part III where he turns into Darth Vader.....

a couple a things I forgot about the night....

the 20 something couple that pretty much had sex two seats down from me.

The high school kids who kept getting up and leaving every 20 minutes way down in front.

the college girl that was text messaging on her phone to a friend constantly through out the movie.

and this was the 1030pm show. didn't get out of there til 1. I usually choose that show because it weens out the rejects. Now that's not even sacred anymore. The world is going to pot.

Johnny Cash is the man. Period.

In Don Zmuda's book about Andy Kaufman (an entertaing read, BTW), he talks about doing a show at the Grand Old Opry. There was a older man in reading glasses sitting at a table in the wings, doing paperwork. Zmuda and Kaufman assumed that he was the Stage Manager or something. The intercom announced, "Johnny Cash, you're need on stage." All of a sudden the "Stage Manager" got up, took off his specs, ran his fingers through his hair, and he was Johnny Cash. To Zmuda and Kaufman it was magical

This was possibly the best film I've seen this year, and Phoenix did one of the best jobs of acting I have seen in my life. You forget who he is. This is a solid, entertaining picture, with great music throughout, and great acting. I implore everyone to see it.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 06:47 PM)
It was the best film so far, I just hope the barrage of bio-pics up for oscars last year don't hurt Joaquin's chances. He really was great.

I think the fact that Foxx didn't get it last year will hurt his chances. I just don't see the Academy giving a white guy an Oscar for doing the same sort of role that a black guy didn't win for last year.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
I think the fact that Foxx didn't get it last year will hurt his chances.  I just don't see the Academy giving a white guy an Oscar for doing the same sort of role that a black guy didn't win for last year.

Foxx did win an Academy Award for best actor in 'Ray'...

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
I'm a huge country music fan, so I'm going to see this.  I was talking to my friend yesterday who's a big fan of bands with names like Most Precious Blood and The Black Dahlia Murder, and even he wants to see this.  My point is that almost everyone likes a little Cash.

Most Precious Blood is pretty good, I saw them in January in Boston when they opened for Rise Against. Black Dahlia Murder is bad though. And to make this post relevant, I too like Mr. Cash mostly for the fact that he had concerts at Folsom and San Quentin.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 08:26 PM)
Foxx did win an Academy Award for best actor in 'Ray'...

He very well might have. I've just had a rough day -- stupid b**** can't figure out red lights = stop so I got rearended so hard that my car isn't driveable (she hit my car so hard, it hit another car in front of me from the sheer force) I might not be able to get a rental since I'm under 25 and if I can't get a rental, that means I have to quit my job (because my job is driving around for a paper) Not to mention that thanks to Thanksgiving and the extent of the damages that will take an assload of time to fix (bent in chassis, rear fender f***ing gone from the car, trunk is really f***ed up, front end damage as well), I may get my car back in a month depending on when the adjuster can approve the fixing. No car = walking in the winter for a couple miles to get groceries etc. So it has been a glorious day of dealing with police, insurance companies, dumbass b****es that should be euthanized and being sore as everloving Hell and having to visit the doctor to make sure there was no internal damage (And I might have to go for a CT Scan as well tomorrow) To say I'm pissed off is to say that Stalin's regime might have purged a couple people.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. Does anybody remember the title of the song in the movie where Cash called June Carter out on stage and prompted her to sing a duet that she didn't want to because she had recorded it with her recently divorced husband?

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 11:33 PM)
I have a question.  Does anybody remember the title of the song in the movie where Cash called June Carter out on stage and prompted her to sing a duet that she didn't want to because she had recorded it with her recently divorced husband?

I think Times A Wastin' is what you're talking about.

Great movie, probably my 2nd favorite of the year behind Cinderella Man. Phoenix deserves at least an Oscar nomination for his performance.

QUOTE(The Bones @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 01:02 AM)
I think Times A Wastin' is what you're talking about.

Great movie, probably my 2nd favorite of the year behind Cinderella Man. Phoenix deserves at least an Oscar nomination for his performance.

Thank you, that's the one. Can't find it though..