Gload to Padres?

Al Lopez Ghost (old)

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Nov 20, 2005 -> 08:56 AM)
I posted this in the White Sox Weekly thread, but I thought it probably should have gone here. Ed Farmer during the show yesterday said he had heard from a friend that Gload was gonna sign with the Padres. Now, I won't miss him, but somebody's gotta play first for us.

Unless the Sox released him, I do not believe Gload is a free agent.

You guys are all basing your opinions on Gload being sure to be tendered a contract... But he obviously pissed some people off in this organizion... He's this off seasons Kelly Wunsch and I wouldn't be suprised at all to see him let go... The Sox have no real use for him... and it's hard to imagine Ozzie even wants him on the team considering how he was treated during the season...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 06:28 AM)
You guys are all basing your opinions on Gload being sure to be tendered a contract... But he obviously pissed some people off in this organizion... He's this off seasons Kelly Wunsch and I wouldn't be suprised at all to see him let go... The Sox have no real use for him... and it's hard to imagine Ozzie even wants him on the team considering how he was treated during the season...

I've never understood what Ozzie has agaisnt Ross. When you come right down to it, if Ross was a full-time starter, he would probably have a better average than most of the guys in our line-up. That being said, I still don't want him starting for us, but as a back-up 1st baseman who can play outfield if necessary, he's a good bench player.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)

Actually the truth is we dont know what the deal was with Gload. But the organization said that he couldnt throw the ball from the OF positions and if that was true we dont need a backup 1B. Konerko plays most games so all Gload would be is basicly a late inning defensive replacement and with how Ozzie likes to use the bench thats not good enough.

Dont jump to conclusions so fast unless you know something the rest of us dont.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
The SOX have to juggle the 40 man roster to protect some of their young talent from the Rule 5 draft.  Gload might be one of the guys to go in that effort.

The deadline for setting the 40 man has come and gone. We've protected everyone except Fabio Castro. We should be good.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 06:28 AM)

Pissed some people off, or is it that the organization sees no real use for him in the future?

out of curiosity, does anyone know where wunsch is these days? is he even in the bigs anymore?

QUOTE(timotime @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
out of curiosity, does anyone know where wunsch is these days? is he even in the bigs anymore?

He was pitching for the Dodgers and doing fairly well last season...until he hurt himself walking down the stairs in the bullpen and missed the rest of the regular season.