Hunting Discussion...

I know these damn Chicago citizens arent outdoorsmen and women but whitetail hunting season is here and I am pumped. I'll be heading out to the Upper Peninsula Wednesday for 5 days of whitetail gun-hunting action! Heads, have you been out in the field yet? Anyone else going hunting???

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 20, 2005 -> 11:26 PM)
That's pretty much bulls*** and what about women? I know quite a few gals who enjoy deer hunting and 4 that live in the city.

Generally is the key word. The majority has never picked up a fishing pole and most couldn't tell you what the difference between A-Bolt and Lever action rifles are. Anyways, do you hunt/fish?

Season started here.

Too warm still.

Too expensive. A decent lease will set you back $2,500 and up per rifle. No public hunting to speak of. No friendly farmers that are begging you to take deer off their fields.

Ferrel hogs are fun, but most just trap them. I am planning an archery trip for hogs early next year.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 05:58 PM)
I know plenty of hunters in the Chicago area.  Plenty of people in this area hunt, I dont understand why you think its a fact that Chicagoans arent outdoorsman, SF1?

Opportunities for hunting near home are non existent for city dwellers. Chicagoans (the city proper) have a huge opportunity for fishing in their backyards. But, as a percentage of the population, you will find more hunters in rural and semi-rural areas than on the 25th floor of a downtown condominium. That isn't to say there are not anti-hunters in Manhattan, Illinois and avid hunters in Manhattan, New York.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)
Have you gotten out yet or did someone else shoot the doe?

My uncle shot it with a bow Saturday nite and tracked it til dark but couldn't find it. There was five of us who were out at 7:30 Sunday morning. We were ready to quit at 8:30 but I spotted it. My uncle finally got the deer at 12 or so.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 08:34 PM)
Opportunities for hunting near home are non existent for city dwellers. Chicagoans (the city proper) have a huge opportunity for fishing in their backyards. But, as a percentage of the population, you will find more hunters in rural and semi-rural areas than on the 25th floor of a downtown condominium. That isn't to say there are not anti-hunters in Manhattan, Illinois and avid hunters in Manhattan, New York.

Of course. What is understood need not be said. Of course their are hunters and fisherman in Chicago (3 of which being me, my father, and grandfather) but generally, Chicagoans are not outdoorsman.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)
My uncle shot it with a bow Saturday nite and tracked it til dark but couldn't find it. There was five of us who were out at 7:30 Sunday morning. We were ready to quit at 8:30 but I spotted it. My uncle finally got the deer at 12 or so.

The deer was still alive the next day?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)

Nice...but what about you? Have you gone out at all?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 06:39 PM)
The deer was still alive the next day?

Yes....it was shot in the leg and it hit an artery...my uncle figures it was going to go to coyotes or would die anyway soon so he wanted it to go down humanely.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 06:39 PM)
Nice...but what about you? Have you gone out at all?

Nope. First weekend in December I'll be in my stand by 5:55 AM.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 08:41 PM)
Yes....it was shot in the leg and it hit an artery...my uncle figures it was going to go to coyotes or would die anyway soon so he wanted it to go down humanely.

Nope. First weekend in December I'll be in my stand by 5:55 AM.

I skip school Wednesday and I'll be in a stand by 5:30 AM Monday morning. A friend of the family killed a nice 8 point in my stand last week and saw a bigger 8 point that he passed up. I'll post pictures of it on Monday.... :D Oh, and your uncle shooting a deer in the leg? Not too smart.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
I skip school Wednesday and I'll be in a stand by 5:30 AM Monday morning. A friend of the family killed a nice 8 point in my stand last week and saw a bigger 8 point that he passed up. I'll post pictures of it on Monday.... :D Oh, and your uncle shooting a deer in the leg? Not too smart.

It was 50 yards with a bow.....he just missed low.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 06:46 PM)
50 yards!?!?! Why would you even attempt that shot? Could he have called it in with a bleat call or at least waited it out?

He's pretty damn good with a bow. I think my Dad stepped it off to be 47 since his stride is about a yard. He was using his landowners tag and shot the deer in his cashmere sweater and penny loafers. He just decided he wanted to try.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 08:48 PM)
He's pretty damn good with a bow. I think my Dad stepped it off to be 47 since his stride is about a yard. He was using his landowners tag and shot the deer in his cashmere sweater and penny loafers. He just decided he wanted to try.

LMAO. That is f***ing awesome. I wish it was that easy.

Does Illinois still have that patchwork of seasons? One for shotgun, one for blackpowder, one for archery, etc.?

To stop the debate on which state produces the best tasting venison, I will offer, at no cost to y'all, a taste testing. Y'all send me, (frozen & overnighted), the best roast from your deer, and after tasting them all, I will announce a winner. Remember, state pride and all, so send me the choisest cut :D

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
Does Illinois still have that patchwork of seasons? One for shotgun, one for blackpowder,  one for archery, etc.?

To stop the debate on which state produces the best tasting venison, I will offer, at no cost to y'all, a taste testing. Y'all send me, (frozen & overnighted), the best roast from your deer, and after tasting them all, I will announce a winner. Remember, state pride and all, so send me the choisest cut  :D

Haha, I'll be sure to send you a nice back-strap of doe that I will hopefully kill. LOL. I'm leaving in a few hours on a 5 1/2 hr journey to the Upper Peninsula. I'll post a report with pictures on monday hopefully.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
Pheasant hunter here, also a big-time fisherman.  I live in Chicago proper.

I'm still having a hard time with the generalizations.

I usually have a hard time with generalizations, but try and find a camo waterproof duck hunting suit on Michigan Avenue, then try in Joliet or Schaumburg.

Where are you pheasant hunting? I was invited to a hunt club near the Ill/Wis line to hunt pheasant. I had never done birds besides a nad duck hunting experience. Pheasant is fun. I loved the walking and hunting. I'm forgetting the name of the town, they are also a huge speed trap. I think it's the last town on 12 before hitting Wisconsin.