Hunting Discussion...

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
Pheasant hunter here, also a big-time fisherman.  I live in Chicago proper.

I'm still having a hard time with the generalizations.

How about this one...

They should release deer on the infield of the Nascar tracks and give each driver a shotgun. They could earn extra points in the chase for the cup by baggin themselves a 8 pointer.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
I usually have a hard time with generalizations, but try and find a camo waterproof duck hunting suit on Michigan Avenue, then try in Joliet or Schaumburg.

Where are you pheasant hunting? I was invited to a hunt club near the Ill/Wis line to hunt pheasant. I had never done birds besides a nad duck hunting experience. Pheasant is fun. I loved the walking and hunting. I'm forgetting the name of the town, they are also a huge speed trap. I think it's the last town on 12 before hitting Wisconsin.

Been pheasant hunting for years. We have partial membership to a hunting club up in Wisconsin and also have some working relationships with some farmers. We have a nine year old Springer Spaniel that is a fantastic bird-dog--and an even better family dog--and usually hunt with another 5 year old Brittney.

I'm not really familiar with a hunting club up on 12, but the town you might be thinking of is Richmond, IL.

I still take issue with the non-outdoorsman Chicagoans. Although we're far from outdoorsman in the truest sense--don't camp, hunt deer, hunt other game, etc.--I have a lot of friends and family that are pretty serious hunter/fishermen.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
Been pheasant hunting for years.  We have partial membership to a hunting club up in Wisconsin and also have some working relationships with some farmers.  We have a nine year old Springer Spaniel that is a fantastic bird-dog--and an even better family dog--and usually hunt with another 5 year old Brittney.

I'm not really familiar with a hunting club up on 12, but the town you might be thinking of is Richmond, IL.

I still take issue with the non-outdoorsman Chicagoans.  Although we're far from outdoorsman in the truest sense--don't camp, hunt deer, hunt other game, etc.--I have a lot of friends and family that are pretty serious hunter/fishermen.

http://www.richmond-huntclub.com/

Yes, it was Richmond and the club is there.

I used to hunt often with my dad, but our schedules haven't fit for a while (he always seems to be out of town for work!), so it has been aty least 5 years since I have been hunting. Problem is finding space to hunt. I still fish, though not as often as before. My son goes fishing alot with my dad, usually somewhere on the Kankakee river. Right about now, I wish I had my gun. I am at my in-laws about 15 minutes outside of Branson, MO, and there are about 5 or 6 deer just sitting out there begging to become dinner. I wonder if I can remember how to gut a deer?

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
I wonder if I can remember how to gut a deer?

Last year, for a Boy Scout Order of the Arrow Pow Wow, one of the leaders shot a deer early that morning, at first light, and we showed the boys how to field dress and process the deer. I was standing there and noticed the entry and exit holes and started walking away quickly before the first cut. A couple of my Scouts started laughing at me, thinking I was too squeamish to watch. Instead they got to learn about gut shot deer. :lolhitting Edward was under time pressure to have a deer and took a less than ideal shot.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)
Last year, for a Boy Scout Order of the Arrow Pow Wow, one of the leaders shot a deer early that morning, at first light, and we showed the boys how to field dress and process the deer. I was standing there and noticed the entry and exit holes and started walking away quickly before the first cut. A couple of my Scouts started laughing at me, thinking I was too squeamish to watch. Instead they got to learn about gut shot deer.  :lolhitting Edward was under time pressure to have a deer and took a less than ideal shot.

Um, not a pretty sight. Apparently you got the last laugh!

WTF! I got totally skunked in the UP for 5 days. I only saw 1 doe and never got a shot at her. The most action I got all weekend (Wed-Sun) was when I almost got taken down by a wolf. Bastard was less than 10 yards away from me but was running at me full-speed. I almost s*** my pant....then I realized I had a .270 Win in my hands and started laughing my ass off.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 06:15 PM)
WTF! I got totally skunked in the UP for 5 days. I only saw 1 doe and never got a shot at her. The most action I got all weekend (Wed-Sun) was when I almost got taken down by a wolf. Bastard was less than 10 yards away from me but was running at me full-speed. I almost s*** my pant....then I realized I had a .270 Win in my hands and started laughing my ass off.

Are you certain it was a wolf and not another canine? IIRC, that is very unusual for a wolf. Coyote would seem more likely.

Do you think it was still too early in the season? Since I've so far south, I have a hard time remembering what the weather should be like up north. I do know I'd be winterizing the boat and hoping for first ice about now.

A man and his friend were hunting deer in rural Kentucky near a

>>>blacktop highway. A huge buck walked by and the hunter carefully drew his

>>>bow and took careful aim.

>>>

>>>Before he could release his arrow, his friend alerted him to a funeral

>>>procession passing on the road below their stand.

>>>

>>>The hunter slowly let off the pressure on his bow, took off his hat,

>>>bowed his head and closed his eyes in prayer.

>>>

>>>His friend was amazed. "Wow, that is the most thoughtful and touching

>>>thing I have ever seen. You are the kindest man I have ever known."

>>>The hunter shrugged. "Yeah, well, we were married for 35 years."

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 11:21 PM)
Are you certain it was a wolf and not another canine? IIRC, that is very unusual for a wolf. Coyote would seem more likely.

Do you think it was still too early in the season? Since I've so far south, I have a hard time remembering what the weather should be like up north. I do know I'd be winterizing the boat and hoping for first ice about now.

I am 100% certain it was a wolf. They have been slim picking in the UP in the past but wolf herds are growing. I researched body types and the tracks and stuff and it was a wolf for sure. 2 actually. The rut has already passed in the North in most places. The "2nd rut" was underway so the action was sloooooooooow. It might just be that the deer were in the breeding phase of the rut and all movement ceases. We had about 6 inches of snow accumulation while up there in the UP and the weather was in the 10's all the time dipping below 0 with windchill and at night. This also might have effected movement.