Eating well

Texsox

My boys are really learning to cook. I challenged my Scouts to improve their cooking and menu planning this weekend. The results was me gaining some weight.

Breakfast Saturday was easy donuts. They deep fried the dough in a dutch oven and tossed them in cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar.

Lunch was a beef soup. It could have used some noodles, but it was still very good.

A friend of mine had his Troop at the same camp so we combined dinners for a feast of sorts. My guys made a beef roast with carrots, potatoes, and jalapenos. They also made a chicken and stuffing dish. My top cook added the "trinity" of celery, onions, and peppers to the chicken dish and tossed in some mushroom soup. It turned out perfect. For dessert they made a cherry cobbler.

The next breakfast for suppose to be blueberry muffins, but they forgot we don't have muffin tins so they made one giant muffin and started calling it Smurf™ Cake.

I love it when they actually learn some things. One kid was making his first campout and was so excited all weekend.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
My boys are really learning to cook. I challenged my Scouts to improve their cooking and menu planning this weekend. The results was me gaining some weight.

Breakfast Saturday was easy donuts. They deep fried the dough in a dutch oven and tossed them in cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar.

Lunch was a beef soup. It could have used some noodles, but it was still very good.

A friend of mine had his Troop at the same camp so we combined dinners for a feast of sorts. My guys made a beef roast with carrots, potatoes, and jalapenos. They also made a chicken and stuffing dish. My top cook added the "trinity" of celery, onions, and peppers to the chicken dish and tossed in some mushroom soup. It turned out perfect. For dessert they made a cherry cobbler.

The next breakfast for suppose to be blueberry  muffins, but they forgot we don't have muffin tins so they made one giant muffin and started calling it Smurf™ Cake.

I love it when they actually learn some things. One kid was making his first campout and was so excited all weekend.

Where'd ya all go for camping? Just around you locally?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 08:48 AM)
Where'd ya all go for camping?  Just around you locally?

Yes, we had a few expensive trips the last few months and scaled back. The boys do an annual calendar and one of the requirements is for them to stay within a budget. Of course this was also one of the lightly attended events.

Fortunately the weather cooperated. Small drizzles during the day a nice rain at night. Cool temperatures.

January we are going spelunking and rappelling. One cave has a squeeze that I may not fit through, and I'm not so certain I want to. Something about getting stuck deep underground leaves me a little uncertain. Rappelling inside a cave sounds cool though.