Music snobs and everyday listeners

Texsox

When you generally dislike a group/artist, and you find that one song that you do like, is it a deep album cut or a most popular.

Example, Greatful Dead, Touch of Gray or something else?

Todd Rudgren, Hello it's Me or something else?

Beatles, Hey Jude or something else?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 11:22 PM)
When you generally dislike a group/artist, and you find that one song that you do like, is it a deep album cut or a most popular.

totally depends, sometimes they really create gold...i mean i despise coldplay with all my heart, but fix you was a damn good song, and that was a single, but sometimes when you absolutely hate a band, it'll be that one song that they actually take the chance on that would never be considered for a single that i'd give love to...and i can't think of any right now...but give me a minute...and i resent music snob title in this...

I would tend to think that for most everyone it would be a popular hit. If you don't like an artist you wouldn't be too likely to hear anything but their most popular stuff.

I've tried to think of an instance where I could apply this to myself and the only thing I can think of is waaay back in the early 70's I actually liked and bought an Osmond's 45, "Love Me For a Reason". I've always been kinda embarrassed about that.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)

usually something popular (and horrible). i like bad music, i have problems.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 11:35 PM)
I couldn't spell connosouser close enough for the spell checker to find it  :banghead Sorry.  :rolly

i prefer the title "that friend that you don't want to play music around because he'll make fun of you" but snob...thats just disrespectful

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)

You listed three examples of artists I like (two of which are in my top 5 with TR and the Beatles), so the examples don't work for me.

I dislike the superslick (for the Dead) produstion on In the Dark, so teh studio version of Touch of Gray always soumded lousy to me like most of that album does. The same songs done live, especially Throwing Stones, were great songs thay I liked for years until they slicked them up for the album. Wierd, because they recorded the album as an "as-live" deeal with minimal overdubs. Doubly wierd because Jerry was the primary producer.

Anyway. . . most of the artists I dislike, I think I dislike them because they release thin material - with not much of value more than 1 or 2 cuts deep if that.

I dig artists like Todd or, more modern example, someone like Aimee Mann precisely because they pack an album full of all quality songs and you are hard pressed to pick out a 'best song' let alone a single witha bullet.

Hello It's Me may be the best male vocals I have ever heard. Something about his voice on that one just touches me, and not in that Chris and the old man down the street who he mowed the lawn for when he broke the window, sort of way*.

*Family Guy reference.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
Hello It's Me may be the best male vocals I have ever heard. Something about his voice on that one just touches me, and not in that Chris and the old man down the street who he mowed the lawn for when he broke the window, sort of way*.

*Family Guy reference.

TR's vocals on the Something/Anything? version of Hello It's Me are superb. I don't know which one I like better though, that version of the original version he cut with the Nazz.

The amazing thingabout Todd is his voice got much stronger and more disciplined laer in his career. Compared to the later stuff, all the Something/Anything? vocals are very thin. That's probably a big reason he always went nuts on the overdubs and harmony parts, to fill the sound out more.

If you want a Big Todd vocal song, give Want of a Nail off of Nearly Human a spin.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)

I'm seeing a pattern develop here for me.

Here are some artists I generally don't like all that much, with songs I really like:

Rolling Stones - Waiting On A Friend, I'd say that was a hit.

Bob Dylan - Jokerman and When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky, not hits.

Journey - Stone In Love, not a hit, was it?

Survivor - The One That Really Matters, not a hit.

Pink Floyd - ...................I can't think of one song I like by them at all.

Grateful Dead - see Pink Floyd.

So I guess I'd say with at least one exception, I go for the "deeper cuts".

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 03:43 AM)
bmags, what have you got against coldplay? they're like the average man band's band. Solid songs, solid singing, solid playing, solid records.

not sure where you're coming from.

i don't like bands that refuse to grow so that they can maintain their profits...and you are right, everything about coldplay is avg...except his songwriting, which is disgustingly sophomoric....

look up swallowed by the sea...barf

This is my kind or thread.

Elton John- Rocket Man

There are a few things in life that I usually wouldn't admit to. Yes, I like Rocket Man. And yes, I am a fan of George Clooney. Don't make fun of me.

The Byrds- Eight Miles High

I never liked the Byrds, but this song is great.

Bob Seger- Against The Wind

I thought about getting his Greatest Hits disc just for this track, but I just went with the Forrest Gump SDTK instead.

Van Halen- Runnin With The Devil

Van Halen have written some of the cheesiest love songs that I've ever heard in my life. I have the Greatest Hits CD, and this is the one song that I like.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 01:23 AM)
Rolling Stones - Waiting On A Friend, I'd say that was a hit.

This song is a guilty pleasure of mine as well. I can put together a list of at least 50 Rolling Stones songs that I enjoy from 1964-1973, but there are only a couple that I listen to from the Ronnie Wood era. This is one of them, along with the B-Side "I Think I'm Going Mad" and "Hand Of Fate".