Rose not on Hall's ballot in final year

Milkman delivers

I think there needs to be a display/room/area that discusses baseball history and Rose should be discussed there, along with the Black Sox, etc. IMHO the Hall needs to be part of a baseball museum.

I will say this, I think betting on baseball, in the manner that Rose did, is less an offense than using steroids when they were banned. Rose betting on the outcome of a game he was not involved in does not effect the competition, a player in that same game on steroids is taking an unfair advantage outside the rules and does effect the competition.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:37 AM)
I think there needs to be a display/room/area that discusses baseball history and Rose should be discussed there, along with the Black Sox, etc. IMHO the Hall needs to be part of a baseball museum.

I will say this, I think betting on baseball, in the manner that Rose did, is less an offense than using steroids when they were banned. Rose betting on the outcome of a game he was not involved in does not effect the competition, a player in that same game on steroids is taking an unfair advantage outside the rules and does effect the competition.

He walked into that clubhouse for however many years and everyday saw that sign posted in every clubhouse that betting on baseball will get you banned. So Pete, in all his brillance, places bets in the damn clubhouse. He has no excuse.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 08:37 AM)

There is plenty of talk that Pete bet on Reds games as well, much of it comes from his old bookie.

Or how about this for having an unfair advantage? This was in today's Trib.

Listed among the bats used by Babe Ruth and Jim Thorpe in an upcoming Leland's auction is Lot No. 1038—a corked bat that Pete Rose supposedly used to hit his second-to-last career home run. It shows all the signs of a Rose-used bat, according to authenticators. It's the same Mizuno model he used, personalized with "PR 4192," a reference to his pursuit of Ty Cobb's hit record. According to company President Mike Heffner, there is a nickel-sized hole at the end of the bat.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:37 AM)

The first part of your post, concur 100%. In fact, it would be a disservice to not discuss things like that. They are an integral part of baseball history.

The second part, though I have problems with. If he bet on the Reds while he managed them, and he didn't bet on them every day for the same stakes, he could use his bench and his bullpen differently with extra money on the line. I'm not saying he did, but I wouldn't doubt it. If the Reds were playing say, the Braves, and the Braves were pitching Smoltz the next day against the Dodgers, and Pete knew he was going to bet the Braves the next day, and the Braves took a lead, would Pete manage differently?

Extremely hypothetical, I know, but I wouldn't put anything past Pete.

Listed among the bats used by Babe Ruth and Jim Thorpe in an upcoming Leland's auction is Lot No. 1038—a corked bat that Pete Rose supposedly used to hit his second-to-last career home run. It shows all the signs of a Rose-used bat, according to authenticators. It's the same Mizuno model he used, personalized with "PR 4192," a reference to his pursuit of Ty Cobb's hit record. According to company President Mike Heffner, there is a nickel-sized hole at the end of the bat.

I recall reading somewhere that the Mariners (way back) were looking at a travelling exhibit of old bats put on by Hillerich and Bradsby and Dave Henderson was examining a bat used by Babe Ruth, and came to the conclusion that it was corked. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
Extremely hypothetical, I know, but I wouldn't put anything past Pete.

I recall reading somewhere that the Mariners (way back) were looking at a travelling exhibit of old bats put on by Hillerich and Bradsby and Dave Henderson was examining a bat used by Babe Ruth, and came to the conclusion that it was corked.  Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I don't believe corked bats were actually banned until something like the 70's...Craig Nettles was the guy in 74 who was caught when his bat exploded and superballs started bouncing everywhere...he wasn't suspended, because it wasn't really a rule he could be suspended under.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
I don't believe corked bats were actually banned until something like the 70's...Craig Nettles was the guy in 74 who was caught when his bat exploded and superballs started bouncing everywhere...he wasn't suspended, because it wasn't really a rule he could be suspended under.

I'm not sure you're right, Balta.

Here's this:

Rule 6.06 (d)

A batter is out for illegal action when:

He uses or attempts to use a bat that, in the umpire's judgment, has been altered or tampered with in such a way to improve the distance factor or cause an unusual reaction on the baseball.

This includes, bats that are filled, flat surfaced, nailed, hollowed, grooved or covered with a substance such as paraffin, wax, etc.

No advancement on the bases will be allowed and any out or outs made during a play shall stand.

In addition to being called out, the player shall be ejected from the game and may be subject to additional penalties as determined by his League President.

I'll have to do a little more research to see when Rule 6.06 (d) was adopted, but I'm fairly certain it was before the '70's.

Well, let me put it this way...Craig Nettles wasn't suspended over the superball incident. That I know for sure. And I read at at least 1 source that the reason he wasn't suspended was that there was no rule under which he could be suspended...I'm afraid that source I don't recall, it was back when the juicer from the north side embarassed himself with an exploding bat.

That made me laugh. Sammy Sosa could have gone on Letterman and poured wine out of a baseball bat, had a hoo-ha, and people would have forgotten about it in six months.

But Sosa's a whole loaf of idiot, so of course he didn't do that.

With each passing folly, George Bell is remembered ever fonder.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
Well, let me put it this way...Craig Nettles wasn't suspended over the superball incident.  That I know for sure.  And I read at at least 1 source that the reason he wasn't suspended was that there was no rule under which he could be suspended...I'm afraid that source I don't recall, it was back when the juicer from the north side embarassed himself with an exploding bat.

I believe, though corking the bat was illegal, there was no rule in place stating that it was a suspendable offense. Then you had the MLBPA backing Nettles as well, and things were a bit more contentious back then. MLB probably had no legal basis for a suspension at that time.