Bill Mueller To Sox?

Pasqua's Mailman

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 06:11 PM)
With ARod?  I'll be willing to bet that's false.

it was with alex fernadez for starters and it happen a couple of more times. i think at least 2 more times.

i think arod was the other one. but if i remember correctly, he just fielded offering and promise to get to the sox if another offer came that was better.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 07:47 PM)
I always remembered hearing that ARod was upset with the way the White Sox wanted to handle his negotiations, so they were basically ruled out from the start.

i remembered it differently. i think it had to do with bor-ass and how the neg was going.

now i remember something else and i am looking from a homer perspective. but didn't bor-ass not present our last offer to arod. instead he froze us out. as i said i remember something like that.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
I always remembered hearing that ARod was upset with the way the White Sox wanted to handle his negotiations, so they were basically ruled out from the start.

Not true. White Sox were supposedly finalists for the A-Rod sweepstakes coming behind Texas. Boras was the one who wasn't happy with the way the White Sox wanted to negotiate which basically was to sit down with A-Rod alone, face-to-face.

Not true. White Sox were supposedly finalists for the A-Rod sweepstakes coming behind Texas. Boras was the one who wasn't happy with the way the White Sox wanted to negotiate which basically was to sit down with A-Rod alone, face-to-face.

that's a-rods fault for not making his own decision then. the power an agent has depends on the player's assertion. a-rod could have relegated boras' role to more detail-oriented stuff.

timotime ... I have made sure that last post of yours will be brought to the attention of the admins.  Your best bet, at this point, is to shut up and hope for the best.

i trust my post was innaporopriate because of the language. sorry, YASNY and everyone, i have edited it out. i did not know that i would get in trouble for foul language until i was alerted to that fact.

QUOTE(timotime @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
that's a-rods fault for not making his own decision then. the power an agent has depends on the player's assertion. a-rod could have relegated boras' role to more detail-oriented stuff.

Unfortunately, when the evil incarnate performs his 'brainwashing' act on a client, the client tends to have cloudy judgement. It would certainly be hard for a ballplayer to to disagree with Borass when he is told to sit in the corner and accept the fact that doing so will result in a maximum contract offer.

And I must agree that your previous post seems a little harsh and over the top for someone that joined in the middle of November. If that should even be taken into consideration. I don't think it would be prudent to start 4-lettering people in a new work environment, in the first week.

P.S. Excuse my slow typing. I entered this before realizing that you had edited your post.

Edited by ottawa_sox

QUOTE(timotime @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

Are you a lawyer? Any good, upstanding lawyer abides by his oath and works in an ethical fashion. Of course, there are plenty of bad lawyers, just as there are plenty of bad people in the professional world. But it does not make it right.

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)

You pretty much have it. It was 5 years ago so I couldn't find the article on the web. The White Sox offered what Boras initially had said it would take to sign him and then Boras rejected it, which stunned them. The Sox felt that Arod wasn't being told what was going on and tried to have meeting with him but Boras froze them out. He got an extra 60 million dollars out of the Rangers -rumor has it he got that by fabricating offers from other teams when they actually had dropped out.

On the Fernandez deal, Boras told the Sox not make any offers until the free agency period. After Alex signed with the Marlins, he said he was miffed at the Sox for not trying to sign him earlier, he was obvously unaware of Boras' shenanagans. So again, the Sox thought Boras lied and screwed them.

Add the Magglio tactics to this list and you can see why the White Sox would prefer not to deal with Boras.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
You pretty much have it.  It was 5 years ago so I couldn't find the article on the web.  The White Sox offered what Boras initially had said it would take to sign him and then Boras rejected it, which stunned them.  The Sox felt that Arod wasn't being told what was going on and tried to have meeting with him but Boras froze them out.  He got an extra 60 million dollars out of the Rangers -rumor has it he got that by fabricating offers from other teams when they actually had dropped out.

On the Fernandez deal, Boras told the Sox not make any offers until the free agency period.  After Alex signed with the Marlins, he said he was miffed at the Sox for not trying to sign him earlier, he was obvously unaware of Boras' shenanagans.  So again, the Sox thought Boras lied and screwed them.

Add the Magglio tactics to this list and you can see why the White Sox would prefer not to deal with Boras.

The White Sox never made an offer to ARod. They had one prepared but wanted to meet with ARod with Boras not in attendance. It wasn't allowed to happen, and so what. He got offered $252 million, probably almost double what any other team would have offered him. How could anyone blame him for taking that offer?

QUOTE(TLAK @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
The problem with Boras is his lack of ethics.  He lies, hides information and breaks his word.  For documentation look at his dealings with Texas on the ARod deal (lied about other clubs offers), the whole Magglio situation (hid information on his injury) and backing away from an ARod deal he verbally agreed to with the White Sox (broke his word).

While none of these is a crime, they are over the line of honorable dealing among honest men.  A funny thing about him is JR describes him as good agent until the player hits free agency, then he becomes impossible to reason with or believe.

What he did was not allow anyone to examine Magg's knee or examine the medical records until there was a confirmed written offer on the table. As you said this is not illegal but is not bargaining in good faith. I would not deal with him because of the manner in which he conducts his business either.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 4, 2005 -> 09:34 PM)
What he did was not allow anyone to examine Magg's knee or examine the medical records until there was a confirmed written offer on the table. As you said this is not illegal but is not bargaining in good faith. I would not deal with him because of the manner in which he conducts his business either.

The lying actually occured when both Maggs and Borass were parading around saying that Maggs was recovering just fine and that he would be working out for any team, yet when asked to he refused to do so, because he had just had a secret surgery done in Austria, but didn't want to tell anyone that. There was more crap in the BS that he threw at Ozzie and Kenny, but the lies were regarding the surgery and his supposed level of health.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
The lying actually occured when both Maggs and Borass were parading around saying that Maggs was recovering just fine and that he would be working out for any team, yet when asked to he refused to do so, because he had just had a secret surgery done in Austria, but didn't want to tell anyone that.  There was more crap in the BS that he threw at Ozzie and Kenny, but the lies were regarding the surgery and his supposed level of health.

And don't forget the big lie...the lie he aimed at us...when he said he wanted to come back and play in Chicago still. He proved that was a lie when he wouldn't let anyone examine the knee before the arbitration deadline. He did say that, and he proved to me he was lying when he siad it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
The lying actually occured when both Maggs and Borass were parading around saying that Maggs was recovering just fine and that he would be working out for any team, yet when asked to he refused to do so, because he had just had a secret surgery done in Austria, but didn't want to tell anyone that.  There was more crap in the BS that he threw at Ozzie and Kenny, but the lies were regarding the surgery and his supposed level of health.

Everyone knew about the surgery when he was refrred there by the White sox podiatrist (his services were let go soon there after) and he was seen in Austria. That's why everyone was questioning the health of the knee.

As for the workout you're right it went from I'll work out for anyone to I'll workout for anyone with written offer of "x" amount, knowing full well noone would do it until they saw the knee and records.

Again not bargaining in good faith and probably misleading and lying about the health of the knee in the process. As I stated while this was happening, "I don't believe a word of it." As a matter of fact I would like to see the records on his "sports hernia" surgery which kept him out of most of last year, while coincidently allowed more time for his knee to heal. I still don't like the long term outlook of his knee.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
Everyone knew about the surgery when he was refrred there by the White sox podiatrist (his services were let go soon there after) and he was seen in Austria. That's why everyone was questioning the health of the knee.

As for the workout you're right it went from I'll work out for anyone to I'll workout for anyone with  written offer of "x" amount, knowing full well noone would do it until they saw the knee and records.

Again not bargaining in good faith and probably misleading and lying about the health of the knee in the process. As I stated while this was happening, "I don't believe a word of it." As a matter of fact I would like to see the records on his "sports hernia" surgery which kept him out of most of last year, while coincidently allowed more time for his knee to heal. I still don't like the long term outlook of his knee.

As I recall things, the Sox didn't know about the surgery for a while, because Maggs told the doctor that he could not tell the team about the surgery, even though he referred him. I could have sworn that Maggs exercised his doctor/patient privlidge and told the doc NOT to tell the Sox about the surgery.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
As I recall things, the Sox didn't know about the surgery for a while, because Maggs told the doctor that he could not tell the team about the surgery, even though he referred him.  I could have sworn that Maggs exercised his doctor/patient privlidge and told the doc NOT to tell the Sox about the surgery.

That's what I recall.. and the DR was not relieved of his duties with the Sox, FWIR.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Finding a backup infielder

The Sox are looking for a left-handed-hitting infielder who can spell Joe Crede at third. Crede had two herniated discs in his lower back and has been working on strengthening the area.

It will be tough for the Sox to persuade pesky switch-hitting free agent Bill Mueller he can get about 450 plate appearances in a utility role, especially since Mueller has played primarily third base since reaching the majors in 1996.

Don't blame the Sox for aiming high, but reality suggests they'll have to settle for a true backup.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp

The Sox aren’t expected to make any moves during the winter meetings, but they are keeping their eyes open for a utility infielder. Shortly after the World Series, Geoff Blum left the White Sox and returned to the San Diego Padres.

The White Sox are rumored to be interested in Red Sox third baseman Bill Mueller, but teammate Tony Graffanino is a much better fit.

Before Graffanino was traded from Kansas City to Boston in July, the White Sox tried to get him back. Graffanino played on the South Side from 2000-03.