Bill Mueller To Sox?

Pasqua's Mailman

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
Why what happened?  :bang  :P

That was f***ing sweet.

The only negative of the play was Berman's call:

"A slow roller to Graffanino...OH NO! He tried flipping it to 2nd before he had the ball and all the runners advance!"

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't let nostalgia for an ex-White Sox blind you.

Mueller is a far better fit. Better hitter, excellent defensively at 3B, gives Guillen more flexibility due to his switch hitting ability, can fill in at DH.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
Don't let nostalgia for an ex-White Sox blind you.

Mueller is a far better fit.  Better hitter, excellent defensively at 3B, gives Guillen more flexibility due to his switch hitting ability, can fill in at DH.

I agree but I think he just makes too much money for the role. To get him 400 at bats Crede and Iguchi would need to sit out 100 games, I don't see it happening unless Crede gets hurt -he looked pretty healthy in the World Series.

More likely the White Sox will look for a Herb Perry type, a border line starter who is affordable at 250 at bats.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 07:00 PM)
Dont forget DH. I think Mueller could get 400 AB's, and help the team a great deal. Crede is not going to be 100% next year, I think that is almost certain. I remember Oz saying in August and September that Iguchi was getting worn out because in Japan there seasons were not this long. On top of that, if Thome plays 140 games, I will be SHOCKED. 110-120 I would be extremely pleased with.

Giving these three time off will not only give Mueller some good AB's, but also help Joe,Tad, and Jim get some needed time off during a long season...

I respectfully submit that the power drop off from Thome to Mueller will preclude your suggestion. Mueller had 85 RBI in his batting tittle year, 62 last season, compare to Thome's 105 in '04, 131 in '03. Two different types of players and I don't see them as interchangeable.

Mueller is the perfect role player for us, can fill 4 positions: DH (not really a position, but...,) 1b, 2b and 3b.  He is a switch-hitter who is patient at the plate, we haven't had one of these for a while.

You nail it here, and as for the money ... I haven't received the final budget figure for the 2006 White Sox, has anyone else?

They will stretch the budget as necessary in order to get players they want.

That said, I think the Dodgers and Giants are both very attractive to Mueller.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 05:30 PM)
You nail it here, and as for the money ... I haven't received the final budget figure for the 2006 White Sox, has anyone else?

They will stretch the budget as necessary in order to get players they want.

That said, I think the Dodgers and Giants are both very attractive to Mueller.

Plus Mueller always seemed to like his days with the Giants (I think thats where the Cubs got him from...for Worrel IIRC).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
The Dodgers would be the one team that would be able to offer him a starting job at his normal position and rumor is the Dodgers are interested in him.

This is the one guy I would like the Sox to pick up.

What about the Twins offering him the 3rd base job?

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
This is the one guy I would like the Sox to pick up. 

What about the Twins offering him the 3rd base job?

Thats another team offering it. I figure if it comes to money, The Dodgers will offer more than the Twins. Plus I'm guessing he'd rather play on grass than turf (especially considering he's older and had that serious knee injury early in his career).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
Thats another team offering it.  I figure if it comes to money, The Dodgers will offer more than the Twins.  Plus I'm guessing he'd rather play on grass than turf (especially considering he's older and had that serious knee injury early in his career).

Good point on the knee. Maybe Brossard and Hermy could send Mr. Mueller an early Christmas card. :)

Thats another team offering it.  I figure if it comes to money, The Dodgers will offer more than the Twins.  Plus I'm guessing he'd rather play on grass than turf (especially considering he's older and had that serious knee injury early in his career).

Jason, not sure if this is true, but Minny has supposedly cooled on Mueller due to the Castillo trade ... it's a $$$ issue.

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)
Jason, not sure if this is true, buy Minny has supposedly cooled on Mueller due to the Castillo trade ... it's a $$$ issue.

That would make a lot of sense. I figure once the Dodgers entered the picture (plus you have the Cards) that the Twins were going to have no chance. The Twins still need to move Hunter (unless they plan on keeping him).

Its too bad he's on the Twins, cause I'd have no problem having him, although he doesn't exactly fit in with Ozzie's plans for a 2 hole hitter, lol.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
Jason, not sure if this is true, but Minny has supposedly cooled on Mueller due to the Castillo trade ... it's a $$$ issue.

They go into the meetings with hitting and fielding on their wish list. Who is cheaper, that is available, that might help their cause? They are looking at 3rd, 2nd, right and DH. Names like Piazza, Frank, Nomar and even Reggie Sanders interest them. Maybe they will have to reshuffle somewhere else to acquire one of these guys. I don't see anybody coming cheap (except, gulp, Frank).

Edited by ottawa_sox

Looks like the sox aren't the top suitors after all, unless kenny is under the radar.

Bill Mueller - 3B - Red Sox

With Bill Mueller's price tag rising, the Twins have reportedly fallen out of the running for the free agent third baseman.

The Dodgers, Giants and Pirates have emerged as the top suitors for Mueller, who is certain to command at least a two-year deal. Dec. 5 - 11:35 pm et

Source: Minneapolis Star Tribune

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 5, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
Doesn't sound like we have a chance at Mueller:

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review...e/s_401161.html

Damn you beat me to it, but i'll post it anyway. :D

Bill Mueller - 3B - Red Sox

Free agent Bill Mueller has narrowed his choices to the Dodgers and Pirates, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

If the money is at all similar, there's not much reason for Mueller to choose Pittsburgh over Los Angeles. Dec. 6 - 12:20 am et

Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review