More Levine 'Rumors'

BigSqwert

My friend just IM'd me at work saying that Bruce Levine reported a potential trade of Rowand and either Contreras or Bmac for Thome. Did anyone else here this? Please say it ain't so. That would be an awful trade. If it's true, why would we get rid of pitching and defense (the reason we won it all) for a slugger? Trying to get back to the 2nd place formula of 2001-2004?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
My friend just IM'd me at work saying that Bruce Levine reported a potential trade of Rowand and either Contreras or Bmac for Thome.  Did anyone else here this?  Please say it ain't so.  That would be an awful trade. If it's true, why would we get rid of pitching and defense (the reason we won it all) for a slugger?  Trying to get back to the 2nd place formula of 2001-2004?

It was Bruce Levine on ESPN Radio. Remember, this is the same Bruce Levine whose record of diarrhea at the mouth is only matched by the Wind Sock at the Sun Times. I wouldn't take it too hard... yet.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
My friend just IM'd me at work saying that Bruce Levine reported a potential trade of Rowand and either Contreras or Bmac for Thome.  Did anyone else here this?  Please say it ain't so.  That would be an awful trade. If it's true, why would we get rid of pitching and defense (the reason we won it all) for a slugger?  Trying to get back to the 2nd place formula of 2001-2004?

If we make that deal, we will need to sign a pitcher, in my opinion. Orlanda can't be a starter anymore. he doesn't have it. And for center, we would have Brian Anderson and Jerry Owens battling it out in spring training. Our problem right now is our abundance of outfielders...not that it is a problem, but the area we are deep in.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)
It was Bruce Levine on ESPN Radio.  Remember, this is the same Bruce Levine whose record of diarrhea at the mouth is only matched by the Wind Sock at the Sun Times.  I wouldn't take it too hard... yet.

Bruce Levine is also trying hard to rejuvinate the fan base of the cubs' faith in their org. If it sounds like the sox are making bonehead moves, maybe it will make people come back to the cubs. Bruce is never accurate on sox moves. In fact, his accuracy on the trade from yesterday was pretty off as well. For the cubs sake, I hope he is off on their offer to bobby Howry, jeez, overpaying two ex-sox players? Whats wrong with you Hendry?

Bruce Levine seems to think the trade would be Rowand and Contreras or McCarthy for Thome with the Sox picking up 2/3 of the remaining 3 years, $43.5 million on Thome's contract. Levine said that if this goes down, the Sox will still have enough money left over to re-sign Konerko.

If Kenny makes this trade, he's nuts. The Phillies can have Rowand, Marte, El Duque, and prospects but no way do you give up Contreras or McCarthy and still pick up 2/3 of Thome's contract. :puke

Giving up McCarthy or Conteras in a deal for Thome is stupid.

Arow, Marte, El Duque or one of the plethera of OF talent sure. But not McCarthy for this.

But then again this is Levine, I had a better chance of getting an Xbox360 last night than he has of being right on this one.

Giving up McCarthy or Conteras in a deal for Thome is stupid.

Arow, Marte, El Duque or one of the plethera of OF talent sure.  But not McCarthy for this. 

But then again this is Levine, I had a better chance of getting an Xbox360 last night than he has of being right on this one.

Maybe Bruce managed to snag a Xbox 360 last night and thought up this Xbox trade while playing MVP Baseball. :lol:

What cracks me up is that he said the teams were in serious negotiations with these players involved.

Rowand is the only guy I think is truly involved. I think Levine is just speculating on Contreras or McCarthy being involved because he still thinks Thome has a ton of trade value. I doubt Thome has enough trade value to get a good starting center fielder and a good starting pitcher considering he's coming off an injury and still has a huge chunk of change left on his contract. And the Sox would still pick up 2/3 of Thome's deal? Whatever. :rolly

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
Rowand is the only guy I think is truly involved.  I think Levine is just speculating on Contreras or McCarthy being involved because he still thinks Thome has a ton of trade value.  I doubt Thome has enough trade value to get a good starting center fielder and a good starting pitcher considering he's coming off an injury and still has a huge chunk of change left on his contract.  And the Sox would still pick up 2/3 of Thome's deal?  Whatever.  :rolly

Even the reports put of Philly haven't been this crazy and they've all stated the Phillies will be picking up half to 2/3. If he's right on this, I'll make a Bruce Levine tribute sig for the rest of the hot stove season.

I have a feeling that this is just the Phillies initial proposal, and proposals being thrown around are enough for Bruce to consider it "serious talks". And as always, the first trade offer is usually high.

Of course, I'm just speculating (or doing what Bruce does without getting paid for it), but I'm guessing that the price tag for Thome will soon be coming down. Either way, if this is indeed what the Phillies are looking for in return, I suspect that Thome will be in Philadelphia next season.

He said a deal was basically done with Pierre and the Cubs. I really dont doubt Levine that the Sox and Phills are talking. He has to be basing this on something, he had to be. However, him knowing exactly what players are in the deal, and if a deal is going to drop in the next 24 hours, I dont buy it.

Tony, did he say this about the Cubs and Pierre today, or is that what he said a week/10 days ago?

Thanks.

Jim, I was talking about about 10 days ago. He was  once again basically staking his claim that Pierre would be in Chicago in 24 hours, and now you dont hear anything about it....

Thanks Tony. Was just curious if he was stating/claiming new developments on Pierre.