More Levine 'Rumors'

BigSqwert

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
I have a feeling that this is just the Phillies initial proposal, and proposals being thrown around are enough for Bruce to consider it "serious talks".  And as always, the first trade offer is usually high. 

Of course, I'm just speculating (or doing what Bruce does without getting paid for it), but I'm guessing that the price tag for Thome will soon be coming down.  Either way, if this is indeed what the Phillies are looking for in return, I suspect that Thome will be in Philadelphia next season.

I think you are right about the price. Think about it - The Phils have a stellar young 1B, and no place for a DH, so they really have to move Thome if at all possible. And he's pretty much said he wants AL, midwest - that gives you CLE, DET, MIN, KC and the Sox. Eliminate KC on Sweeney and budget. CLE doesn't need a 1B much either, they have a good 1B/DH combo already. That leaves us, DET and MIN. And we're closest to his home town. Oh, and we just won a championship.

I think we're in a position to get Thome, minus 2/3 of his contract, for Rowand and either Marte or a prospect pitcher. No way we need to trade away an SP in this position.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Info-tainment continues.

Just take everything Levine says with a grain of salt. I'm sure there is some factual base to this rumor...the guy isn't going to make stuff up. But, as ESPN Radio's "Baseball Insider," I'm sure he is compelled to report these rumors in a very weighty fashion.

Kenny Williams brought a World Championship to Chicago after 88 years. I'm keeping the faith.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
Is that official?  That's a ridiculous contract.

Not official, just another Bruuuuce rumor. But it seems about right.

The cubs offseason plan: pick up as many ex-sox players as possible.

Seriously, if I was Jim Hendry, the fist thing I would do is unload Kerry Wood, some team would pay for him, and get some damn position players.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
Not official, just another Bruuuuce rumor.  But it seems about right.

The cubs offseason plan: pick up as many ex-sox players as possible.

Seriously, if I was Jim Hendry, the fist thing I would do is unload Kerry Wood, some team would pay for him, and get some damn position players.

I'd bet that Kerry Wood will be the Cubs closer in 2006. The fact that they got Eyre and are getting Howry means Hendry is trying to get a real 'pen for the Cubs, but also have someone who could step in if Wood gets injured again or can't make the transition.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
I'd bet that Kerry Wood will be the Cubs closer in 2006.  The fact that they got Eyre and are getting Howry means Hendry is trying to get a real 'pen for the Cubs, but also have someone who could step in if Wood gets injured again or can't make the transition.

No way. They signed Dempster to a pretty big deal. Wood will be in their starting rotation next season.

Be prepared to have people say you're wrong.

It's true though. There's no defending Levine. He only covers the Sox because he has to. You know that deep down he must hate it. Last season when the Cubs were all but mathematically eliminated from the Wild Card and the Sox were rolling along in first place, he would always try to get Dolgin to talk about the Cubs. Yes Bruce, let's talk about the fourth place team with no prayer over the team that is winning their division. Levine is a joke. :headshake

Edited by SSH2005

Bruce on w/ Silvy and Carm now.

Thinks a major league pitcher won't have to be involved...but, (get this) says we have some great minor league outfielders like Chris Young and Jerry Owens.

Yup, that's it Bruce. Aaron Rowand AND Chris Young for Jim Thome.

Survey Says: BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Stick to reporting there Brucey. Let's leave the conjecture out of it.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
Yup, that's it Bruce.  Aaron Rowand AND Chris Young for Jim Thome.

If the Phillies pick up more than half of Thome's deal, I wouldn't be shocked if the Sox agree to this trade. Remember, we were going to deal Young in that Griffey Jr. trade.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
If the Phillies pick up more than half of Thome's deal, I wouldn't be shocked if the Sox agree to this trade.  Remember, we were going to deal Young in that Griffey Jr. trade.

Yup, we sure were. EXCEPT, Rowand was not rumored to be a part of that deal.

You can't trade both Rowand--the starting CF of the NOW--and Chris Young--the starting CF of the FUTURE.

Can't do it. I like Brian Anderson as much as the next guy, but you can't do it.

Kenny knows this.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 05:37 PM)
Yup, we sure were.  EXCEPT, Rowand was not rumored to be a part of that deal.

You can't trade both Rowand--the starting CF of the NOW--and Chris Young--the starting CF of the FUTURE.

Can't do it.  I like Brian Anderson as much as the next guy, but you can't do it.

Kenny knows this.

You can if you're also going to trade for Juan Pierre.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
Bruce on w/ Silvy and Carm now.

Thinks a major league pitcher won't have to be involved...but, (get this) says we have some great minor league outfielders like Chris Young and Jerry Owens.

Yup, that's it Bruce.  Aaron Rowand AND Chris Young for Jim Thome.

Survey Says: BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Stick to reporting there Brucey.  Let's leave the conjecture out of it.

This is the point. He is probably correct that the talks are serious and the names were Rowand and BMAC or Contreras. This was proposed by Phillie. I'm sure KW turned it down but I wouldn't doubt that it happened.

His statement of "it won't include a major league pitcher" probably came from the fact he knows KW turned the initial proposal down. The rest is his speculation.