More Levine 'Rumors'

BigSqwert

That's how great ESPN 1000 reporting is... Levine was on, said that Phillies may be asking for one of those 2, but the it's highly unlikely the Sox will give either one of those players up. Basically saying they know El Duque can't holdup all year and they want 6 starters again.

Then on the next update they don't change their script and basically said Sox and Phillies are talking trade and the names involved are A-Row and Contreras or B-Mac, with no mention that those are unlikely to be the names.

FWIW, he also said any deal for Delgado with Marlins would likely have to include B-Mac.

Edited by SoxFan562004

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true though.  There's no defending Levine.  He only covers the Sox because he has to.  You know that deep down he must hate it.  Last season when the Cubs were all but mathematically eliminated from the Wild Card and the Sox were rolling along in first place, he would always try to get Dolgin to talk about the Cubs.  Yes Bruce, let's talk about the fourth place team with no prayer over the team that is winning their division.  Levine is a joke.  :headshake

Personally I get a big kick out of it when someone says something is "true" and to back it up they type 5 of their opinions. :lolhitting

If we make that deal, we will need to sign a pitcher, in my opinion.  Orlanda can't be a starter anymore.  he doesn't have it.  And for center, we would have Brian Anderson and Jerry Owens battling it out in spring training.  Our problem right now is our abundance of outfielders...not that it is a problem, but the area we are deep in.

i seriously hope that we never even have to contemplate this. what a horrible idea for a trade. thome is 37!

I find it interesting that the Bill Mueller rumors have surfaced.

If the Sox do trade their center fielder of today and tomorrow to the Phillies for Thome it would open up a space for Pierre. Florida has a big hole at third base now and I do not believe they would move Cabrera to third. With Crede being arbitration eligible and a Scott Boras client maybe the Sox would move him to Florida. The Marlins would be able to afford him and Joe is turning into a big time player. I know many here love Crede like I do, but I do not see Mueller signing here to be a back up. I would hope that we would also get a minor league player along with Pierre due to that fact that Crede is worth more now that he ever has.

I am not saying I am for/against this, but it does make sense in a way. We will just have to wait and see.

1. Pods

2. Pierre

3. Konerko

4. Thome

5. Dye

6. A.J.

7. Iggy

8. Mueller

9. Uribe

I find it interesting that the Bill Mueller rumors have surfaced. 

If the Sox do trade their center fielder of today and tomorrow to the Phillies for Thome it would open up a space for Pierre.  Florida has a big hole at third base now and I do not believe they would move Cabrera to third.  With Crede being arbitration eligible and a Scott Boras client maybe the Sox would move him to Florida.  The Marlins would be able to afford him and Joe is turning into a big time player.  I know many here love Crede like I do, but I do not see Mueller signing here to be a back up.  I would hope that we would also get a minor league player along with Pierre due to that fact that Crede is worth more now that he ever has.

I am not saying I am for/against this, but it does make sense in a way.  We will just have to wait and see.

1.  Pods

2.  Pierre

3.  Konerko

4.  Thome

5.  Dye

6.  A.J.

7.  Iggy

8.  Mueller

9.  Uribe

mueller's glove cant compare to crede's in my mind. and i feel that crede's bat will continue to improve after all that he's shown in the playoffs.

bill mueller = :puke

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
That's how great ESPN 1000 reporting is... Levine was on, said that Phillies may be asking for one of those 2, but the it's highly unlikely the Sox will give either one of those players up.  Basically saying they know El Duque can't holdup all year and they want 6 starters again. 

Then on the next update they don't change their script and basically said Sox and Phillies are talking trade and the names involved are A-Row and Contreras or B-Mac, with no mention that those are unlikely to be the names.

FWIW, he also said any deal for Delgado with Marlins would likely have to include B-Mac.

No he didn't. He said that any deal for PIERRE with the Marlins would likely have to include B-Mac or a top notch pitching prospect. He then went on to say that that is why the Cubs have the advantage for PIERRE, because the Cubs have a lot of top pitching prospects. He never said that is what it would take for Delgado.

I was not saying Mueller > Crede.

Because of Scott Boras and arbitration I would not be surprised to see Crede moved. Mueller can fill in until Josh Fields is ready. Mueller may not be as good as Crede, but he is an ok replacement. He is a veteran with playoff experience and can still throw some leather.

People forget that during the regular season Crede was one of the most frustrating players to watch. One night he would look like a stud and the next he looked like he didn't belong.

My biggest fear is that Crede goes to another team and becomes a superstar, but with his agent Joe will leave sooner rather than later.

Jose and Brandon aren't going anywhere, I'm not even worried about that. The Phillies are going to be very limited with their trade partners and we'll have a better package to offer then the Indians because Aaron Rowand will be a part of our package. I don't think Cleveland will offer any top prospect or anyone of value on the major league roster. I think there's a good shot we land Thome for Aaron and Damaso. We'll see though.

QUOTE(Soxman72 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
I was not saying Mueller > Crede.

My biggest fear is that Crede goes to another team and becomes a superstar, but with his agent Joe will leave sooner rather than later.

This is true. The Sox may put on a great face but I don't see them giving in to "Boras type" demands. I have been bashed for saying this but I don't believe the Sox will get a deal done with Boras. Which means KW will attempt to get something for Crede either this year or next year.

I agree Rowand44.

By trading Rowand to the Phillies for Thome

OR

By trading Crede to the Marlins for Pierre

You will not lose one of our big pitchers. You could see some minor league talent in the deals but not B-Mac. I also believe Marte has seen his last days in Chicago, but that is just me.

I believe KW will try to make deals without involving our pitchers. Pitching won us the ring.

Edited by Soxman72

QUOTE(Soxman72 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
I agree Rowand44.

By trading Rowand to the Phillies for Thome

OR

By trading Crede to the Marlins for Pierre

You will not lose one of our big pitchers.  You could see some minor league talent in the deals but not B-Mac.  I also believe Marte has seen his last days in Chicago, but that is just me.

I believe KW will try to make deals without involving our pitchers.  Pitching won us the ring.

This is good in theory but then we have 6 starters. Who isn't starting and what do you do with that person? Does B-Mac go to the minors? He is not suited for the bullpen, he needs two innings notice to warmup. Do you have Hernandez in the bullpen? He has the same issues as B-Mac plus thats over 4 million for a long reliever. I think one of the starting pitchers will go somewhere in a deal.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
This is good in theory but then we have 6 starters. Who isn't starting and what do you do with that person? Does B-Mac go to the minors? He is not suited for the bullpen, he needs two innings notice to warmup. Do you have Hernandez in the bullpen? He has the same issues as B-Mac plus thats over 4 million for a long reliever. I think one of the starting pitchers will go somewhere in a deal.

The Duke will be in the pen this season if he doesn't get traded. The top 5 starters aren't going anywhere, I'll guarantee you that. El duque proved in the playoffs that he could be a very valuable reliever.

I think B-Mac strats in AAA and waits for an injury. The amount of innings that out starters pitched indicate that the odds of an injury to one of them is great.

I think that Hernandez has to start during the regular season. He has earned it and he is an above average fifth starter. He will get hurt at some point and B-Mac will be waiting

QUOTE(Soxman72 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
I think B-Mac strats in AAA and waits for an injury.  The amount of innings that out starters pitched indicate that the odds of an injury to one of them is great.

I think that Hernandez has to start during the regular season.  He has earned it and he is an above average fifth starter.  He will get hurt at some point and B-Mac will be waiting

Not happening. Bmac is the 5th starter, period.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
Nope. Ozzie, Cooper, Kenny, Jerry,The fans, ect... have all seen what happens when you only have 5 starters. There is no way that 1 of your 5 starters is going to miss some time over the season. Its going to happen. You need to be prepared. From 2001-2004, we were not.

We just came off winning the World Series. The days of Danny Wright, Felix Diaz, Arnie Munoz, Josh Steweart, Mike Porzio, and others are over. If you have to have the 4 million dollar man in the bullpen, o' well(looks like the Cubs are going to have a few anyway :P )

Again, I agree in theory but I don't believe KW will have a 4 mil dollar guy in the bullpen who can only be used with 2 innings notice. Plus, Hernandez wasn't too thrilled about the situation last year. He won't tolerate it for a full year.

IMHO one will need to go.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
Again, I agree in theory but I don't believe KW will have a 4 mil dollar guy in the bullpen who can only be used with 2 innings notice. Plus, Hernandez wasn't too thrilled about the situation last year. He won't tolerate it for a full year.

IMHO one will need to go.

I don't think he minded it at all. He wasn't to happy when it sounded like he was going to be left off the playoff roster but he didnt care that he was in the pen. If any starter goes it will be him but I think there is a good chance he stays.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
I don't think he minded it at all.  He wasn't to happy when it sounded like he was going to be left off the playoff roster but he didnt care that he was in the pen.  If any starter goes it will be him but I think there is a good chance he stays.

There were a few newspaper reports that he wasn't happy. But I know from inside that he was very unhappy about it. Now maybe after an off season to think about it and his performance he may have changed his mind. But I doubt it.

QUOTE(Soxman72 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
Florida has a big hole at third base now and I do not believe they would move Cabrera to third.

The Marlins are very serious about moving Cabrera to 3B, it's his natural position and was considered a damn good defensive 3B while playing in the minors.