Rowand's 'perfect life' may be changing

Pierzynski 12

CHICAGO -- Ask Aaron Rowand about the trade rumors recently swirling, primarily involving his name, and the White Sox center fielder immediately fixes a smile upon his face.

That smile quickly turns to a look of concern for the affable Rowand.

"Ultimately, I love where I'm at," said Rowand, speaking prior to Monday night's 2005 World Series DVD premier at the Esquire Theater in Chicago. "I couldn't be happier. If I could picture my perfect life, I'm living it right now.

"To be able to live the way I'm living and do what I really enjoy doing in the place where I want to do it, I don't want to change it. I want to spend the rest of my career here."

Unfortunately for Rowand, that decision is not his to make. Depending on how the free agency involving first baseman Paul Konerko and designated hitter Frank Thomas plays out, the world champion White Sox could be looking to fill vacancies at those positions and probably would be focusing on adding a left-handed bat.

Actually, a left-handed bat to provide some balance within the lineup seems to be necessary, with or without the White Sox sluggers. That's where Rowand's name and trade value come into play.

Rowand, 28, became the prototype for general manager Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen's grinder style of baseball. In his first full season as a starter, Rowand hit .270 with 13 home runs, 69 RBIs and 16 stolen bases.

Those numbers were a bit of a drop off from Rowand's .310 average, 24 home runs and 69 RBIs in 2004, when he had 90 fewer at-bats. But Rowand emerged as one of the top defensive center fielders in all of baseball, fueling a pitching and defensive-based attack for the South Siders.

His play in center also stoked purely speculative rumors that he would be part of a trade with Florida, in exchange for Juan Pierre, the Marlins' fleet-footed, left-handed-hitting center fielder. Rowand drew direct interest from the Yankees, who watched him get to any ball that stayed in the park during a three-game series in Yankee Stadium from Aug. 8-10.

With $3.25 million owed to him in 2006 and mutual options involving $3.25 million for Rowand in 2007 and $5 million for the club, Rowand is a supremely talented and affordable option.

"As everyone knows, when the boss wants something, he usually gets it," said Rowand with a laugh, referring to Yankee owner George Steinbrenner and the team's interest in Rowand. "But it's definitely flattering to be sought after."

There was no fit in that particular situation, but the White Sox could be tempted to listen to other offers with the Winter Meetings approaching on Dec. 4 in Dallas. The organization is stocked with top-notch outfield prospects, such as Brian Anderson, Chris Young and Jerry Owens, which could make one of the current outfielders particularly enticing as part of a deal.

As for Konerko and Thomas, Rowand has spoken to both of them since what is passing for the White Sox offseason officially began in November. Rowand said that Konerko is "sitting back and waiting for teams to put in offers," but confirmed a piece of information that most White Sox fans already knew.

"I know he wants to be here. I talked to him about it," said Rowand of Konerko, who both share the same agent in Craig Landis. "He loves the city. He loves playing on this team. He likes our clubhouse. If he has his choice, he will be coming back to the White Sox.

"But it is a business and he has to make the best decision for himself and his family," Rowand added.

Rowand talked to Thomas on Sunday night from Chicago, after Thomas returned from his wedding in Hawaii. Thomas mentioned that he wanted to play golf when Rowand returned home to Las Vegas, signaling that the fractured navicular in the Big Hurt's left ankle apparently is continuing to heal.

It seems strange to Rowand that the man who has "personified the organization for years and years" could be wearing another uniform in 2006. It's a scenario Rowand hopes won't play out, adding that "all of us are praying that he finishes his career with the Chicago White Sox."

Ultimately, it will be a business decision dictating Thomas' return at a reduced rate or his departure after 16 seasons. The White Sox are in the business of winning, and as Guillen mentioned recently, to keep that business thriving, decisions have to be made with your brain and not your heart.

"It's a reminder that this is a business, even if you wish it wasn't sometime," said White Sox third baseman Joe Crede, who is arbitration eligible, but figures to return to the South Side. "Hopefully, we stay together because you don't really want to hear that kind of [trade] stuff after what we accomplished."

i understand why we'd want to trade him, but I really really don't want him off this team. I love his personality, i love his playing style, and for once, it seems we really have a whole bunch of guys that really enjoy being here.

Agreed with the "he's expendable" part. As much as I like ARow and feel he adds a dimension to the team that doesn't always show in the box score...his production at the plate left alot to be desired. If he could be replaced with Pierre and move Gooch down to 6th...I'm ok with that.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 06:24 PM)
Agreed with the "he's expendable" part.  As much as I like ARow and feel he adds a dimension to the team that doesn't always show in the box score...his production at the plate left alot to be desired.  If he could be replaced with Pierre and move Gooch down to 6th...I'm ok with that.

I like Pierre but the thought of moving him in CF to replace Rowand scares me. I want Aaron to stay no matter what. I love his attitude and I think having a player like him on the team is just as good as his production.

I'm really not used to feeling like this, but, this is one of those cases in which my fandom is blinding my baseball awareness.

I ain't going to lie, I'd hate to see Rowand go. He was a part of the team that brought a World Series to Chicago. I'm always gonna have a place in my heart for Aaron.

QUOTE(SoCalSouthSider59 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
Sure would be nice if the Sox could just keep the whole team intact, like the Angels pretty much did, after winning the 2002 Series......... :gosox1:

:cheers

Not really a good example:

Angels record in 2003, the year after the WS = 77-85 (.475)

Hopefully the Sox will look to make small improvements in areas where they struggled, like adding a left-handed bat or two. If the front office gets complacent, then the other teams will catch up (Indians, Twins).

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)
Not really a good example:

Angels record in 2003, the year after the WS =  77-85 (.475)

Hopefully the Sox will look to make small improvements in areas where they struggled, like adding a left-handed bat or two.  If the front office gets complacent, then the other teams will catch up (Indians, Twins).

Come on, they got some good draft position out of that year. Why wouldn't you want that to happen?

inevitably, everyone on this 05 team will be gone in the next 10 years, its the nature of the business....so i hate to see rowand go, but if it makes us better, then it has to be done....but it does not change the fact that when blum, rowand, everett or anyone else happens to play at us cellular in the coming years in an opponents jersey, each and everyone of us should stand up and applaud them....world series teams are few and far between, so i cherish every guy on the roster forever