USA and gay friendly

Texsox

The discussion in another thread about codified discrimination against homosexuals has me interested. Just where would the US rank in terms of homosexual friendly laws? Perhaps not discussing societal reactions, but in terms of our laws? What countries would be considered better, and I assume there are a lot that are worse.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 07:43 AM)
The discussion in another thread about codified discrimination against homosexuals has me interested. Just where would the US rank in terms of homosexual friendly laws? Perhaps not discussing societal reactions, but in terms of our laws? What countries would be considered better, and I assume there are a lot that are worse.

I have absolutely no information to back this up, but I would imagine that all Muslim countries are worse in terms of homosexuality and the law. Also, all Catholic-dominated nations, such as Mexico, Central and South America (maybe not Brazil, though), Spain, Italy, any remaining Communist nation.

More relaxed laws I would probably see most of Western Europe. In fact, I would probably say that they wouldn't have laws one way or the other.

Again, I have no facts backing any of this up. It's just what I think.

Europe in general is becoming very gay-friendly, legislatively. As is Canada. I don't know a lot about other areas because I really haven't looked around.

I do know that in the US, its a mixed bag. There are states like Maine, Vermont, Massachussets, Minnesota and Hawaii which are very gay friendly, but then you have 20+ states which are putting discriminatory language against the GLBTI community in their constitutions.

And now states in the midwest are doing the new outrage. Giving unwanted kids up to stable gay couples for adoption is an affront to society and gay people shouldn't be allowed to have kids.

In some places, we are moving to legal equality. In some places, we aren't.