• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...23/c1271944.jsp

White Sox fill a need with Thome

11/23/2005 4:45 PM ET

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Pending physicals, the "Three Stooges" have performed their final act on the South Side of Chicago. And the Frank Thomas era with the White Sox, covering close to two decades, has all but come to a close.

In the process, the White Sox added a high-powered left-handed bat for their lineup, while keeping the door open for first baseman Paul Konerko to return via free agency. Such are the ramifications coming from Wednesday's pre-Thanksgiving trade, with the White Sox sending very popular center fielder Aaron Rowand to Philadelphia and the Phillies sending first baseman Jim Thome back to Chicago in return.

The White Sox also will pay $24 million of the remaining $46 million on Thome's contract over the next three years, with the Phillies picking up highly-touted pitching prospects in Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Haigwood to complete the deal. When reached Wednesday evening, general manager Ken Williams would not comment directly on the proposed trade.

"You can't comment on any such matters until they become official," Williams said. "It creates all sorts of messes. I personally plan on honoring that policy."

Thome had a no-trade clause in his contract but told the Philadelphia Inquirer, via an article that ran in Sunday's paper, that he wanted to go to a Midwest team based in the American League if a trade was made. He could play first base and serve as the designated hitter in the AL.

The Peoria, Ill., native battled a back injury and surgery on his right throwing elbow that cost him 103 games in 2005. He hit just .207 with seven home runs and 30 RBIs.

According to the article, the 35-year-old is in the best shape of his career after bouncing back from those injuries. He also is a high-quality clubhouse presence, much like Rowand, which was important to Williams and the White Sox in any trade they made.

It also was important for Thome to play for a team with a chance to win in 2006 and beyond. Suiting up for the defending World Series champion fills that particular request nicely.

Thome, who has 430 career home runs, became expendable with the development of first baseman Ryan Howard, the National League Rookie of the Year in 2005. He has 41 career home runs against the White Sox, second most in parts of 15 seasons, behind his 42 hit against Detroit and Minnesota. He also is a .286 hitter with 18 home runs and 50 RBIs at U.S. Cellular Field.

hot stove

Complete coverage > 

The move by no means brings an end to the pursuit of Konerko, who is expected to command between $13-$15 million per year, over four or five seasons. Konerko and Rowand share the same agent, in Craig Landis, and the two teammates were very close.

Whether that move makes a difference in Konerko's ultimate decision remains to be seen. While Williams steadfastly would not comment on the possible trade, he did offer up one important thought on the American League Championship Series Most Valuable Player.

"At this stage of the offseason, it still remains our highest priority to get Paul Konerko back in the fold," Williams said Wednesday.

POLL

How do you feel about the Jim Thome acquisition?

It's a steal

Gave up too much

Either way, he's not what we needed

Thome's presence does indicate that Thomas no longer is an option for the White Sox. Rowand mentioned Monday night, while he was in town for the White Sox World Series DVD premiere, that he had recently talked to Thomas and that he thought the powerful designated hitter was showing improvement with his left ankle judging by his request to play golf. But Thomas doesn't fit in the overall scheme, especially if Konerko returns, and health issues remain a concern for the White Sox.

Along with Konerko, Rowand served as a galvanizing force in the White Sox clubhouse during his first full season as an everyday player. Rowand knew this trade was a possibility, acknowledging as much on Monday night. He still hoped it wouldn't come true.

He didn't want to leave the world champions. He didn't want to leave his close friends such as Konerko and A.J. Pierzynski and Joe Crede, who, along with Rowand, hitting coach Greg Walker dubbed the "Three Stooges." But Rowand's concerns became reality on Wednesday.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Edited by Kalapse

By the way...if I hear one person complain at all next year about how we can't afford to just stand pat and that we need to make sure we add something to the team...or if anyone mentions the 2002-2003 Angels and how they stood pat with their team...they're going to suffer.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 12:13 AM)
Jason ... put your thinking cap on ....

Who else fits besides Pierre?  Somebody with speed, can handle the bat, and can function in the #2 hole.

That the sox inquired about Ichiro shows maybe the sox are thinking of someone who plays LF or RF and could move over to CF.

But barring that, I only see Pierre as an option. Joey Gathright is on the block for TB. But he's too unproven

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:11 PM)

:puke

keith, i know your upset about giving up both prospects, but you gotta think in the win now attitude KW still has. Adding Thome and hopefully keeping konerko, we have an absolute stud of a lineup next year and I honestly can't see us not being WS favorites.

Yes, i know stealing these kids from the farm is going to hurt in the future, but I gotta agree with the lets win it now...AGAIN attitude KW is going for.

If Thome is healthy for the next 3 seasons this is a fabulous deal. If he isn't, obviously it brings problems.

One thing for certain Thome fills a serious need when healthy and the move makes total sense. Prospects are prospects and in this case they were spun for a player who can make a huge impact and be a big part of a potential repeat.

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
keith, i know your upset about giving up both prospects, but you gotta think in the win now attitude KW still has.  Adding Thome and hopefully keeping konerko, we have an absolute stud of a lineup next year and I honestly can't see us not being WS favorites. 

Yes, i know stealing these kids from the farm is going to hurt in the future, but I gotta agree with the lets win it now...AGAIN attitude KW is going for.

Also...if we hold together a Thome/Konerko heart of the order along with a Buehrle/Garland/BMac rotation and Jenks at the back of the bullpen for the next 3 years...no matter what other pieces we stick in, we're still going to be there at the end of the season if people stay healthy. That's how Boston and NY have done it. They put enough pieces together such that they're guaranteed to be in the race at the end of each year, and then they just try to find small pieces to push them over the top.

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 02:17 AM)
keith, i know your upset about giving up both prospects, but you gotta think in the win now attitude KW still has.  Adding Thome and hopefully keeping konerko, we have an absolute stud of a lineup next year and I honestly can't see us not being WS favorites. 

Cheat summed up my feelings (that I couldn't put down in words) in his blog entry at SouthSideSox:

When you take a look at the prospects, however, the deal swings heavily in favor of the Phillies. Gio Gonzalez was our #3 rated prospect, and Daniel Haigwood our #6, in our community prospect list. -- I said right in that very link that I would trade Haigwood over the other three lefties because of his GB/FB ratio which will make it more difficult to succeed at USCF, so I was actually happy to see him included in the trade, despite him being one of "my guys." Seeing Gio's name attached to the trade, however, has a bit more sting to it. He projects to be a #2 starter in the bigs, and has some dominant stuff. He's just 19 and was already pitching well in high-A. In the long term, this trade will be judged on how many victories Gonzalez goes on to post in a Phillies uniform, or if the White Sox are able to make another post-season run on the strength of the Konerko-Thome tandem.

I don't mind giving up Haigwood. He seems like a nice prospect, but you're going to have to give up more than Aaron Rowand to get Jim Thome. That's fine...

But Gio too? Eventually we're going to need another league minimum, cheap option for our starters. Right now, the rotation is on the cusp of being really expensive, with Contreras and Garland due big raises in the coming years.

I'll digress, and say I'm going a bit overboard on my Gio love, but losing him hurts. A lot. I'd say it hurts more to lose Gonzalez than it does Rowand.

BTW -- I'm sort of hoping they don't resign Konerko, but go after someone else (Giles. Giles. Giles.). Konerko and Thome seem to have the same sort of baseball skills, with the edge going to a healthy Thome. I just don't think Konerko will be worth his contract. Thome, I can deal with -- $7 million a year, that's a bargain.

Any ill feelings I have towards Kenny would be immediately washed away by signing Brian Giles.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:29 PM)
Cheat summed up my feelings (that I couldn't put down in words) in his blog entry at SouthSideSox:

I don't mind giving up Haigwood.  He seems like a nice prospect, but you're going to have to give up more than Aaron Rowand to get Jim Thome.  That's fine...

But Gio too?  Eventually we're going to need another league minimum, cheap option for our starters.  Right now, the rotation is on the cusp of being really expensive, with Contreras and Garland due big raises in the coming years. 

I'll digress, and say I'm going a bit overboard on my Gio love, but losing him hurts.  A lot.  I'd say it hurts more to lose Gonzalez than it does Rowand. 

BTW -- I'm sort of hoping they don't resign Konerko, but go after someone else (Giles.  Giles.  Giles.).  Konerko and Thome seem to have the same sort of baseball skills, with the edge going to a healthy Thome.  I just don't think Konerko will be worth his contract.  Thome, I can deal with -- $7 million a year, that's a bargain.

Any ill feelings I have towards Kenny would be immediately washed away by signing Brian Giles.

:cheers You're a different kind of fan than me (ie: smarter :P) and i respect all the shenanigans that come out of your mouth

:britishflag:

When we traded Miguel Olivo, Jeremy Reed, and Michael Morse for Freddy Garcia, I guarantee that most people were saying the deal was in Seattle's favor. Prospects are prospects. We needed a lefty #3 hitter. We all knew this all of last season. Now we have the best DH in baseball.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
When we traded Miguel Olivo, Jeremy Reed, and Michael Morse for Freddy Garcia, I guarantee that most people were saying the deal was in Seattle's favor.  Prospects are prospects.  We needed a lefty #3 hitter.  We all knew this all of last season.  Now we have the best DH in baseball.

if you were around here during that trade, you'd know what you said is exactly right :lolhitting

if you were around here during that trade, you'd know what you said is exactly right :lolhitting

I just remember the entire media saying that we overpaid. Instead, Olivo is not even on the Mariners anymore, Reed looks like the weakest hitting center fielder in baseball, and Michael Morse got busted for using steroids.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
I just remember the entire media saying that we overpaid.  Instead, Olivo is not even on the Mariners anymore, Reed looks like the weakest hitting center fielder in baseball, and Michael Morse got busted for using steroids.

Dude, you forgot the most important thing.

"And Freddy Garcia will soon be wearing a ring."

Keith,

It always hurts to lose prospects, especially lefthanded pitching prospects. Haigwood knows how to pitch, I saw him last spring and once this summer so actually I winced when I saw his name. Gonzalez I like too but he is soooo young and I would say 3 years away.

By that time, more prospects are brought in. Personally I think the White Sox like Ray Liotta better than Haigwood or Gonzalez but that is purely conjecture on my part.

They traded from a position of strength to acquire some high quality offense. I can't gripe about this trade at all.

Another aspect that I don't think everyone realizes is that our window to win the World Series again is mainly in the next two seasons. We will have our entire rotation and bullpen back next season. Contreras will be a free agent in 2007 and Buehrle's 2007 option will have to be picked up if we want to keep him for one more season.

rowand was a class act from day one.... and he was a class act on the way out:

"B.A. is a good player. He's going to be fine," said Rowand of Anderson. "He can hit. He plays defense. He plays the game the right way. Chicago fans and the White Sox are going to be happy to have him."

exactly...people need to put down the crack pipe and realize we just traded for a hitter that is better than konerko

:notworthy So true.

I noticed that a lot of people think that if a player (Thome, Pierre) has a bad year that they are instantly garbage. Rowand also had a bad year after his great 2004 season. You can't play favorites. I would put my money on Thome rebounding over Rowand.

rowand was a class act from day one.... and he was a class act on the way out:

"B.A. is a good player. He's going to be fine," said Rowand of Anderson. "He can hit. He plays defense. He plays the game the right way. Chicago fans and the White Sox are going to be happy to have him."

That makes me sad though. :crying

Edited by SSH2005