White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

If you guys overpaid or not is irrelavent. The ChiSox are coming off a world title, and instead of being held over a barrell by Konerko, they get Thome, who would the Phillies would have loved to have back, except for the fact that Ryan Howard went nuts in September, and trading him would have caused an uproar. As for Thome's short list of teams, if memory serves me correctly, Schilling did not have the Red Sox on his list, and was talked into it, so you never really know. So now, you have Thome, Konerko becomes a luxery to sign, not a season breaker. If he resigns, then you have a hell of a lineup, in addition to that starting staff.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hi8is @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 09:36 PM)
rowand was a class act from day one.... and he was a class act on the way out:

"B.A. is a good player. He's going to be fine," said Rowand of Anderson. "He can hit. He plays defense. He plays the game the right way. Chicago fans and the White Sox are going to be happy to have him."

Man what a f***ing classy guy.

Hurts soo bad to lose a guy like that.

#33 will always be one of my favorites and I will always root for him.

:cheers Rowand, you are are a class man

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)
Cheat summed up my feelings (that I couldn't put down in words) in his blog entry at SouthSideSox:

I don't mind giving up Haigwood.  He seems like a nice prospect, but you're going to have to give up more than Aaron Rowand to get Jim Thome.  That's fine...

But Gio too?  Eventually we're going to need another league minimum, cheap option for our starters.  Right now, the rotation is on the cusp of being really expensive, with Contreras and Garland due big raises in the coming years. 

I'll digress, and say I'm going a bit overboard on my Gio love, but losing him hurts.  A lot.  I'd say it hurts more to lose Gonzalez than it does Rowand. 

BTW -- I'm sort of hoping they don't resign Konerko, but go after someone else (Giles.  Giles.  Giles.).  Konerko and Thome seem to have the same sort of baseball skills, with the edge going to a healthy Thome.  I just don't think Konerko will be worth his contract.  Thome, I can deal with -- $7 million a year, that's a bargain.

Any ill feelings I have towards Kenny would be immediately washed away by signing Brian Giles.

I'll state it right now. Of the 2 minor leaguers the one I miss more and that we may regret the most is Haigwood, not Gio. In fact there is a shot Gio never pitches in the majors (due to injuries) while I can't see Haigwood not being a 5th starter at worse).

Just my 2 cents and as usual I think these were guys Kenny probably didn't want to give up but had to. At the same time I'm sure these were guys Kenny didn't see the upside in as opposed to others. Of course Lummy had no trade value due to injuries and Liotta is still raw and doesn't have the name that Gio has.

I'm still not that concerned. The odds of them both becoming good major league starters are low. If Thome hits 40 hr's next year and the Sox repeat, its all worth it. Heck if Thome plays well for the next 3 seasons and is healthy its all worth it.

I don't think as highly of Gio as most though. The thing that stings to me is that the Sox have very little depth in terms of pitching prospects and they may have dealt there most ML ready one (not named McCarthy) when they traded Haigwood.

Stuff wise I still feel Tracey has the best arm in the minors (right handed) but I don't know if he'll ever develop the control and the necessary secondary pitches to be a great starter. However, I think worse case he could slide and fit nicely in the pen (total rubber arm) and he gets great downward action on the ball.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:40 PM)
I just remember the entire media saying that we overpaid.  Instead, Olivo is not even on the Mariners anymore, Reed looks like the weakest hitting center fielder in baseball, and Michael Morse got busted for using steroids.

I said it was a fair deal. I think on the most part Kenny makes fair deals. I could see this deal working out for both teams. I could also see it busting up for both teams (Thome is hurt and is done, than the Sox are busts cause they give up at least one sure thing in Aaron). Thome hits 40 Hr's 3 straight years and the Sox kill in this deal (especially if none of the prospects develop). However the most likely scenario is both get what they wanted.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 07:36 PM)
rowand was a class act from day one.... and he was a class act on the way out:

"B.A. is a good player. He's going to be fine," said Rowand of Anderson. "He can hit. He plays defense. He plays the game the right way. Chicago fans and the White Sox are going to be happy to have him."

I hope Aaron can come back to Chicago one day later on in his career.

I said it was a fair deal.  I think on the most part Kenny makes fair deals.  I could see this deal working out for both teams.  I could also see it busting up for both teams (Thome is hurt and is done, than the Sox are busts cause they give up at least one sure thing in Aaron).  Thome hits 40 Hr's 3 straight years and the Sox kill in this deal (especially if none of the prospects develop).  However the most likely scenario is both get what they wanted.

I know. I was just using hindsight to show that many times prospects don't turn into the super studs that people think they will be. Kenny Williams makes out well on most of his trades.

Aaron Miles for Juan Uribe

Miguel Olivo, Jeremy Reed, and Michael Morse for Freddy Garcia

Esteban Loaiza for Jose Contreras

And Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik and Luis Vizcaino worked out for both teams.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 03:50 AM)
I know.  I was just using hindsight to show that many times prospects don't turn into the super studs that people think they will be.  Kenny Williams makes out well on most of his trades.

and mike sirotka for david wells...worked out poorly for both teams...

so he is a fair trader...

I don't know, i love this trade cause we see Jim Thome in a sox uni, but honestly, the phils made out pretty well in this deal, i think this is pretty fair.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
I know.  I was just using hindsight to show that many times prospects don't turn into the super studs that people think they will be.  Kenny Williams makes out well on most of his trades.

I can safely say there were two Ken Williams deals that I slammed to high heaven. Matt Guerrier for Damaso Marte and Ruddy Yan (turned into a darn good deal) and the Todd Ritchie trade.

And fact of the matter, every deal Ken Williams has made in his tenure has a reason behind it. They haven't all paid off, but you can see the logic behind all of them.

The Ritchie trade was to get the staff a veteran starter who they thought was going to turn into a good pitcher(and Schueler has taken the blame for this deal). The Boomer trade was to give the Sox the veteran ace that could get them not only back into the playoffs (in 01) but to get them over the hump.

The Pods deal was to change the makeup of this club, but more importantly (and sometimes this wasn't looked at near enough) freed payroll to bring in a 5th starter (Duque) a catcher (AJ), and a 2nd baseman (Iguchi).

The Everett and Alomar deals were ones that were supposed to and I thnk everyone thought they would, put this club over the hump (the 1st time). Hell that was as talented of a Sox team as I've ever seen. Joe Torre even said (during the playoffs) that the White Sox were the best team in baseball (too bad they choked).

Basically put, you can say Kenny gives up a good amount, but for the most part its a fair deal and usually he deals from a surplus in the organization and they are typically guys he likes less than the other prospects that fill the same position. There are exceptions, namely Miguel Olivo and that didn't bite the club in the ass.

I don't know, i love this trade cause we see Jim Thome in a sox uni, but honestly, the phils made out pretty well in this deal, i think this is pretty fair.

True but when that trade went down it looked like a steal for us. Kevin Beirne, Brian Simmons, and Mike Sirotka for David Wells? That was highway robbery if Wells stays healthy. Too bad that David Wells was a fatass drunk and didn't care about giving 100% for the Sox. I think he cared more about eating pizza puffs that year.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 07:55 PM)

Billy Koch and Cotts for Foulke worked out poorly in the short term for the Sox, but the deal made total sense from a logistic standpoint. Foulke was going to walk and wanted to get a big time deal (plus he wanted to start). Koch was coming off a fantastic season and was a guy the Sox would be able to control for an extra couple years.

Unfortunately he was on the juice and as great of a guy as he was, he wasn't able to do anything on the Southside. However, Cotts is a stud and that deal over the long term will work out beautifully for the club. Cotts is one of the premiere lefty relievers in the game and he isn't just a loogy.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)
Rowand is thanking Sox fans and crying in a radio interview on WSCR 670.    :(

Wow I wish I was listening to it. I'm so sad that he's leaving. Never have I been so hurt to see a player leave. At the same time I know Thome can help the Sox repeat. It kills me to see a guy like Aaron gone. He knew nothing but playing hard.

What a special guy and I will never forget his years in Chicago.

Wow I wish I was listening to it.  I'm so sad that he's leaving.  Never have I been so hurt to see a player leave.  At the same time I know Thome can help the Sox repeat.  It kills me to see a guy like Aaron gone.  He knew nothing but playing hard. 

What a special guy and I will never forget his years in Chicago.

He is talking about how great he has felt the past few days. He was at the Panthers/Bears game last week and all the fans were thanking him. He says he's not bitter at all about being traded. The Sox were the team that gave him a shot. He's just sad that he's leaving all his friends like Crede and Buehrle behind. He said he will also miss the fans a ton.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)
He is talking about how great he has felt the past few days.  He was at the Panthers/Bears game last week and all the fans were thanking him.  He says he's not bitter at all about being traded.  The Sox were the team that gave him a shot.  He's just sad that he's leaving all his friends like Crede and Buehrle behind.  He said he will also miss the fans a ton.

Hell I think they should have Aaron Rowand in and honored when the Phillies are in town to play the Cubs. I'd do whatever I could cause Rowand is one of the key kogs of last year. In 2 or 3 years I'd have zero problem bringing him back (when he's a free agent).

I am still holding out for a Rowand Soxfest appearance.

Just want to shake his hand one last time and say thanks for letting me watch him the past few years.

It truly was a pleasure to all of us to watch a class act like Rowand both on the field with his spectacular defense and clutch hits and off the field just acting like one of the guys and treating the fans like he was on the same level with all of us.

I will never forget a few years ago when Aaron went yard against the Cubs at the Cell and held his first high in the air as the Sox won the game. Seeing that play and the look on his face still sends a shiver down my spine.

His plays against the Yankees in the OF this past season in Yankee Stadium were truly special to watch.

Thank you Aaron for the memories.

As a life long Sox fan, I will never forget you and your importance in bringing a championship to Chicago. And thanks for how you treated me and other Sox fans over the years at Soxfest. You were easily the most approachable and friendly guy with the club and we will all miss you.

Best of luck in Philly and I for one will still follow you and your career closely.

Edited by aboz56

I absolutely love this deal. I was hoping we would get Thome because the financial committment isn't absurd, the talent level given up is fairly high but not ridiculous, and the potential reward is absolutely huge. I'm glad we got him instead of Delgado because it seems like the price was just too high, both in terms of talent and money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't even think we have a pitcher that is a good comparison to Petit.

Obviously it's a problem if Thome is hurt, but I've heard that the main worry with his elbow was when he throws, something we're probably not going to have to worry about. Even assuming we have to play him at first, I've heard that he's almost a lock to be ready for opening day. The back is still an issue, but I'm not overly concerned about that right now.

The only downer is that Gio was in the deal. Besides looking like a potential star, he was my favorite prospect. However, I can live with it, and I know that we needed to give up something. With the acquisition of Thome, I can live with Anderson in center, who looks to be pretty good defensively but might struggle at the plate. The point is that we weren't going to find another left handed hitter with 40 homer-120 RBI potential. Even if he drops off a little, we've probably got about a .250 average with 30-35 homers, 100 RBI, and a very high OBP. I'm pretty happy right now. Now let's re-sign Paulie and secure our offense.