White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
I cannot see where in the world you get those numbers.  As far as I know ARow will be paid $3.25 million next season after earning $2 million last season.

"The Associated Press reports the Chicago White Sox signed OF Aaron Rowand to a two-year, $5.25 million contract Friday, Jan. 14, avoiding arbitration. Rowand will earn $2 million in 2005 and $3.25 million in 2006. Additionally, he holds a player option for 2007 at $3.25 million. If he declines it, the White Sox can exercise a $5 million option."

http://kffl.com/player/5548/mlb

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really understand how this can be a positive trade? Thome had a no-trade clause and was apparently only willing to accept a trade to the White Sox and Indians, the Tribe didn't want him, so effectively the White Sox were the only team in the running for Thome. It seems to me if Kenny Williams had waited for a few more months the Phillies would have been more desperate and the Sox wouldn't have to part with two top-tier prospects. I see this trade as a lack of patience from Willimas that cost him more than would have been necessary to acquire Thome.

The Indians were also said to be interested. They could use a first baseman so Hafner could be the full-time DH since he stinks defensively. Thome said that he would waive his no-trade clause for the Indians and they also had the prospects to deal for him. Would you rather see Thome back on the Indians? Did you forget how much Thome used to rape us? :lol:

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 12:37 AM)
The Indians were also said to be interested.  They could use a first baseman so Hafner could be the full-time DH since he stinks defensively.  They aldo had the prospects to deal for Thome.  Would you rather see Thome back on the Indians?  Did you forget how much Thome used to rape us?   :lol:

Now he can rape them! Opening day @ The Cell!

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 09:46 PM)
WORST TRADE EVER

Sorry i may be in the minority here

Hey, I disagree with you obviously...but even if I were to agree with you...for this to be the "Worst Trade Ever" Gio Gonzalez would have to win 300 games for the Phillies and Aaron Rowand would suddenly have to start putting up numbers like, well, Jim Thome.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 11:47 PM)
Hey, I disagree with you obviously...but even if I were to agree with you...for this to be the "Worst Trade Ever"  Gio Gonzalez would have to win 300 games for the Phillies and Aaron Rowand would suddenly have to start putting up numbers like, well, Jim Thome.

:notworthy

We gave up too much. I like the fact that we got Thome. I hate the fact we gave up Rowand AND Daniel Haigwood AND Gio Gonzales AND we are picking up half of the contract salary-wise. All we got was Thome. I think because the Mets made a similar move, giving up two prospect and taking the contract od Delgado. Now, we gotta get Pierre and sign Konerko. Cub fans are bleeting. "Konerko is going somewhere else. Yeeeaaa." :chair He is our DH and I think if Thome does great but we don't make the series he'll be going to another team. If we do the deed AGAIN :pray Then we'll keep him and Kenny will look like a genius again. This is gonna be the shortest winter ever. I'm still in full baseball mode. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 05:47 AM)
Hey, I disagree with you obviously...but even if I were to agree with you...for this to be the "Worst Trade Ever"  Gio Gonzalez would have to win 300 games for the Phillies and Aaron Rowand would suddenly have to start putting up numbers like, well, Jim Thome.

Or, well, if Jim Thome gets hurt again. He is, afterall, a bigger guy, and isn't his back not 100%?

This is all going by way too fast... My thoughts:

Can't we just freeze time and stay on October 27th, 2005?  That way, we don't have to worry about trades, contracts, the future, anything, just about our World Champion White Sox.

Or, well, if Jim Thome gets hurt again.  He is, afterall, a bigger guy, and isn't his back not 100%?

This is all going by way too fast...  My thoughts:

Ed Farmer was on ESPN 1000 and said that he has known Thome for 14 years and talked to him recently. He said that Thome's elbow is healed and that his back problems have been exaggerated. Farmer thinks he's close to 100% healthy right now. I know it's just Ed Farmer but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Oh man, it's Jim f***ing Thome. We didn't get ripped off. Rowand was garbage on offense, but he played great defense that will be basically made up by Anderson. Haigwood and Gio are years away, and I'd be willing to bet that neither of them reaches their potential enough to make this trade suck.

If KW hasn't earned your respect and trust yet, then there's nothing more to add.