White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After almost 700 posts on this, I'm going to add my two cents.

My initial reaction on seeing Thome for Rowand in my morning paper here in N. Va. was oh no. But then I read that the Sox were getting $22 million toward's Thome's contract, and my reaction changed.

Here's what I would do with that $22 million if I were Kenny Williams.

SIGN BRIAN GILES

Face it, Brian Anderson and his 12 K's in 34 ABs is not ready to replace Aaron Rowand in CF. And Chris Young is probably not ready for 2006. Jerry Owens? Intriguing, but you can't count on him being ready either.

The best move for the Sox would be to go after Giles. This would allow us to bring up one of the kids and give them some time in the outfield without having to count on them at all during the season if they aren't ready. Podsednik or Giles in CF is a big defensive dropoff from Aaron Rowand, but the offense from Giles should more than counterbalance that. And if one of the kids is ready, then Giles can rotate between all the outfield slots and DH.

Moreover, if you add Giles for about $25 million over 3 years, you could also bring back Frank Thomas with an incentive-laden deal.

This would be the Sox lineup:

Pods - CF/LF

Iguchi - 2B

Giles - CF/LF

Thomas - DH

Thome - 1B

Dye - RF

Crede - 3B (due for a breakout year, Sox need to sign him now for 3 years)

Pierzynski - C

Uribe - SS

Not only would we have the best pitching in the AL, but if this lineup could stay healthy, we'd be able to slug with anyone.

Giles, Thomas, and Thome each are capable of .400 OBP and .500+ slugging. And Giles has as many steals as Rowand has had, so we're not really losing much speed (sure Thomas is slower than Everett). Plus, for the first time in a long time the Sox would have two left handed high OBP, high slugging hitters.

I say, GO FOR IT.

GO SOX!! BACK TO BACK!!!

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
I cant believe they did this to AROW the day before THANKSGIVING!  WTF?  I AM ONE PISSED OFF SOXFAN!  We just blew out the heart of the team!  I cant believe you guys arent outraged at the move and the timing of the move!  THIS IS TOTAL CRAP BS!

"heart of the team?" if thats the best thing you can say about Rowand, then i have to tell you... it'll be forgotten by the time Thome has a 4 HR week.

what Rowand does well... you can get elsewhere. it's cold but true.... you can replace Rowand, even if this thing doesnt work out. but Thome at his best is a SECOND PAULIE.

and i honestly feel some White Sox fans are more outraged than Rowand himself. why? because players realize first hand that this is part of their business. this is one of the reasons they make so much money. they can be moved at any time. they've seen it happen to teammates regularly.

losing the heart-and-soul stings now, but the 06-07 team is going to have a new heart-and-soul. that slot always seems to get filled...

Edited by Princess Dye

The worms around home plate and the pitcher's mound are having a great time this Thanksgiving. Rowand killed so many of them last year, they were on the protection list from becoming extinct.

:P

Also, no one should be worried about how the clubhouse is after this trade. Thome is one of the best teammates in baseball. Trust me, if AJP can fit right in with this team, Thome will be just fine. Him and Buehrle can go hunting if they want. As for the prospects we gave up, while they're both highly rated, it's not like we have a history of getting the best out of every top pitching prospect in our system. KW took a risk, and I LOVE IT!

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
I cant believe they did this to AROW the day before THANKSGIVING!  WTF?  I AM ONE PISSED OFF SOXFAN!  We just blew out the heart of the team!  I cant believe you guys arent outraged at the move and the timing of the move!  THIS IS TOTAL CRAP BS!

I think you're just slightly overrating Aaron Rowand. I liked the guy too, but come on. The guy was pretty mediocre.

And who gives a rats ass that we did it the day before Thanksgiving? He'll still have his money and his health. You're getting way too sentimental about this.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
The heart and soul of this team was PK and Buehrle.

To me the Heart & Soul of Chicago White Sox = Aaron Rowand!

IMO this trade is exact to the Paul Lo Duca trade the Dodgers made.

I am confounded!

YOU SIMPLY DONT TRADE GAMERS WITH HEART & MAJOR BALLS THAT WAS CLUTCH HAD AWESOME GLOVE & JUST WON THE WS!

This was a bad trade and the timing couldnt be worse!

To me the Heart & Soul of Chicago White Sox = Aaron Rowand!

IMO this trade is exact to the Paul Lo Duca trade the Dodgers made.

I am confounded! 

YOU SIMPLY DONT TRADE GAMERS WITH HEART & MAJOR BALLS THAT WAS CLUTCH HAD AWESOME GLOVE & JUST WON THE WS!

This was a bad trade and the timing couldnt be worse!

You're entitled to your opinion, my opinion is you're way off on this.

It's a business, KW has to do what he and Guillen think is best for the team. As for the timing, one guy is happy about it and maybe one guy isn't and that's the way it goes.

Just to speak of that LoDuca deal. The Dodgers got the best of that deal. They got Brad Penny and he's the best player of that deal.

LoDuca is mediocre, Mota was lousy last year, and Encarnacion is a solid player.

Brad Penny is a darn good pitcher plus they got half a year of Steve Finley out of that deal.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
Just to speak of that LoDuca deal.  The Dodgers got the best of that deal.  They got Brad Penny and he's the best player of that deal.

LoDuca is mediocre, Mota was lousy last year, and Encarnacion is a solid player.

Brad Penny is a darn good pitcher plus they got half a year of Steve Finley out of that deal.

You guys are forgetting the little things in BB. The so called intangibles that a player brings to the proverbial table. The hustle, leadership, desire, intensity, comraderie, friendship etc... You can easily build around guys like this if you have the money & GM. Look at what the Yankees did around Jeter, Angels around Erstad, White Sox around AROW.

Steve Finley for any period of time is a disaster. BPenny walks the house in the important games. Lo Duca was huge for the Dodgers. I listened to the post game shows after the trade and saw the attendance drop in LA after the move. They loved him! He represents the Pete Rose in every fan!

Emotionally I had already begun preparing for Rowand's departure as soon as I heard the reports out of NY that seem to suggest he was the #1 target this off-season for Yankmee's. With the cash they have they can always pull in a 3rd team with a more attractive talent (& cheaper cost) to get what they want.

Still it's not easy to stomach this deal. Last year the White Sox traded one of my favorite players & delivered a World Series championship. It appears they are following that same game plan again. So they step on your heart early on in the off-season but then extend a hand to help you up & invite you to celebrate with them. Not much more to say about that.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
You guys are forgetting the little things in BB.  The so called intangibles that a player brings to the proverbial table.  The hustle, leadership, desire, intensity, comraderie, friendship etc...  You can easily build around guys like this if you have the money & GM.  Look at what the Yankees did around Jeter, Angels around Erstad, White Sox around AROW.

Steve Finley for any period of time is a disaster.  BPenny walks the house in the important games.  Lo Duca was huge for the Dodgers.  I listened to the post game shows after the trade and saw the attendance drop in LA after the move.  They loved him!  He represents the Pete Rose in every fan!

The Dodgers set a franchise record this season in attendance, without Paul LoDuca. They had injuries galore and Steve Finley was huge for them down the stretch that year and they were able to get into the playoffs.

Brad Penny is the best player that came apart of that deal, thats not even to get into the financial rammifactions of why they made the trade. Also if the Angels could they'd unload Erstad, but the problem is no one would take them and there contract.

The Angels were good the world series year because of all the different guys on that club and a super strong pen. This year they were there because of Vladdy and one of the 3 best pitching staffs in all of baseball.

The White Sox were there because of the team, but because they had the best pitching staff in all of baseball (which was proven in the post-season).

Just my 2 cents Kent. Wishes go out to you and your wife for a great thanksgiving :cheers

Putting the emotions aside this is an even bigger a deal for the White Sox as signing Jermaine Dye last year. At that time many analysts felt the WCWS had gotten the best deal of the off-season. As it stands now I think when you look at what Iguchi produced & whati he's earning I would choose Ozzie's MVP. But Iguchi was a complete unknown at the time & Dye was a former MVP. Apples to oranges from an analyst perspective.

Now we have Thome & if Yahoo! sports is right we have him for $7M/yr for 3 yrs & a $13M option in 2009. According to Yahoo! sports Thome is owed $2.5M in 2006 from his $10M signing bonus with Phil. Yahoo suggests Philly is responsible for that signing bonus. Simply put .. getting Thome for that price is a steal.

But to orchestrate the theft the White Sox had to pay a heavy price. Rowand's value to the team can not be measured by stats alone. We have just given up a durable, talented kid seemingly made of steel that is among the best in baseball instincts. His mindset is such that he seems born to play centerfield. The two minor leaguers are no slouches either. Both are solid arms & one of them will probably make the Phil's rotation.

But just like last year Kenny dealt with the NL. That is probably the most undervalued part of both the trade that brought us Pods & now the trade that brings us Thome. C Lee & Rowand won't come back to haunt us. These trades don't help our competition at all. These trades help the Cub's competition.

So welcome Thome with open arms, shed a tear & hug for Rowand's departure & enjoy winning. Winning isn't everything but it sure beats losing with friends.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
The Dodgers set a franchise record this season in attendance, without Paul LoDuca.  They had injuries galore and Steve Finley was huge for them down the stretch that year and they were able to get into the playoffs. 

Brad Penny is the best player that came apart of that deal, thats not even to get into the financial rammifactions of why they made the trade.  Also if the Angels could they'd unload Erstad, but the problem is no one would take them and there contract.

The Angels were good the world series year because of all the different guys on that club and a super strong pen.  This year they were there because of Vladdy and one of the 3 best pitching staffs in all of baseball. 

The White Sox were there because of the team, but because they had the best pitching staff in all of baseball (which was proven in the post-season).

Just my 2 cents Kent.  Wishes go out to you and your wife for a great thanksgiving :cheers

Aaron Rowand loved the Chicago White Sox. He loved Joe Crede. He loved AJP. He loved being in the uni. He loved the fans. He said he was shocked and still is. Doesnt anybody care about how he feels right now? He is sitting somewhere on Thanksgiving depressed as a MOFO! He came to this team and gave his heart & this is how we repay him? I AM PISSED! I DONT GET IT! I wouldnt trade my cat for any business reason! IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT! THIS IS THE WORST THANKSGVING EVER! I am never going to embrace Thome like i would a guy who gave his all for us from the beginning!

Numbers-wise this is a no-brainer & a steal.

@ Cell: 210AB, .286A, .382O, .600S, 43R, 8D, 2T, 18HR, 50RBI

@ Jake: 630AB, .306A, .440O, .629S, 452R, 126D, 7T, 176HR, 500RBI

@ Minn: 251AB, .343A, .424O, .677S, 51R, 11D, 2T, 23HR, 53RBI

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/4762/s...er&type=Batting

He's got good #'s vs our nemesis (OAK) as well.

Whether it's Thome-Konerko, or Thome-Thomas, Thome-Dye, or Thome-Everett the fact is any one of those combinations will significantly increase the White Sox R totals.

At $7M/yr (with Philly picking up the rest of the signing bonus) the White Sox now have the $ to sign Konerko to a $52/4 + option deal. Many analysts are saying his stock has dropped with the Winter activity & this is likely to be his best deal.

It pains me to say it but it looks like Thomas won't finish his career with the White Sox. At least he got a WS ring for his efforts.

Probably the most important part of this deal is the keep away aspect. If you add a healthy Thome to CLE I don't think we can beat them. If Kenny did not pull the trigger on this trade there is no doubt in my mind he would have gone to CLE. That's why Kenny had to pay the price of Rowand & two promising arms. It's not always about what's best for you club. You need to keep the opposition from getting stronger as well.

I can understand equating Rowand to like the family dog. After he's been a part of your family you wouldn't part with him for anything. But I think you would have a diifferent point of view if the family business was racing sled dogs & you had the opportunity to trade up.

Make no mistake about it: A healthy Thome will break the home run record at the Cell next year. That will be amazing in the post-steroid/amp era of MLB. Now that Thome & Delgado have found new homes LAA will have to make a decision: trade for Manny or sign Kong. I think they will trade for Manny. They have the lumber & the farm system to make it happen.

That leaves the White Sox & thrifty owners in the NL. Including the LAD.

You can almost pencil in Thome-Kong for 3-4 in the lineup. Wow!

As for Ozzie's desire to upgrade the 2-hole Pierre is still an option but don't be surprised if it's a battle between Anderson & Owens in ST for the right to play CF.

Owens (AA) 522AB, 99R, 21D, 6T, 52RBI, 38/58 SB%, 331A, 393O, 406S

Anderson's added power is no longer needed with Thome here.

To think we got Owens for Escobar. Wow!

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

Doesnt anybody care about how he feels right now?  He is sitting somewhere on Thanksgiving depressed as a MOFO!  He came to this team and gave his heart & this is how we repay him?  I AM PISSED!  I DONT GET IT!  I wouldnt trade my cat for any business reason!  IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!  THIS IS THE WORST THANKSGVING EVER!  I am never going to embrace Thome like i would a guy who gave his all for us from the beginning!

Not really, no.

Aaron is a smart guy, he knows it's a business, he is a millionaire and he is probably excited to get onto the next stage in his career and life. Overachievers think that way, they are resilient and don't need anyone to feel sorry for them because they aren't feeling sorry for themselves in the slightest.

This is a classic case of rooting for the player above and beyond rooting for the team. Again, it is a business. When players leave as free agents, do they care that it makes the fans depressed, I doubt it.

The name on the front of the jersey is way more important than the name on the back. As for embracing Thome, I suspect he really doesn't care because he's more concerned with doing his best for his teammates and the White Sox organization.