White Sox acquire Jim Thome per ESPNnews

Punch and Judy Garland

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it is foolish to say that anyone can come straight out of AAA ball and be Rowand in CF defensively. As been said here already, Anderson has the tools to be that type of player defensively down the road. To me however, Rowand was the most expendable everyday player the Sox had. Part of the reason I felt that way is because Anderson can step in offensively and do what Rowand did last year at the plate. While the Sox did lose a top 5 defensive CF, you have to give something to get something. I also think that having Anderson, a guy likely to be a good defensive outfielder next year lessens that blow even more. That being said, I am sorry to see Aaron Rowand go, he was one of my favorite players this year and a class act, and I will miss seeing him give up his body to make a play. Baseball is a business though, and KW made the team better with this move.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
As you said, "Does Hawk play CF?

No one needs to play center to tell you whether there are swirling winds that effect the ball. I didn't say Hawk had to get a read on the ball did I?

I know there are...I've seen numerous quotes, as Rowand44 mentioned, Andruw Jones had a hell of a time with those winds (in fact I think Jones event commented on that and in case you don't know 04 was after the renovations that you claim made the winds blow straight out everywhere).

Ask all the Cfers that have played CF at the Cell. Its long been known and is still known as one of the toughest places to play CF.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
I'm 99% sure that's not how they come up with that figure.  He had only 193 ABs last year -- certainly not enough to put much stock in.  They take his injury into consideration, and what type of player he is -- but it's not just an average of the past two years.

To put this to rest, I'm 100% sure.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
Well, the trade is official!

Trib: Thome trade a done deal

Although, on an interesting note, nowhere in the article does it mention Gio as being part of the deal.  It just says a player to be named later.  Is it still expected to be Gio?  Am I missing something here?

:huh

I heard it's because Gio isn't on the 40 man roster that they have to put him in as PTBNL. Take it for whatever it's worth.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
To put this to rest, I'm 100% sure.

While I don't know the exact process, I can speak to the method.

It's a graduated average of the last three years. say 50% - '05, 35% - '04, 15% - '03. (just an example -- I don't know the exact algorithm) that is then corrected for age (younger players tend to get better, older players worse) type of player (Power pitchers, sluggers, and speedsters all age differently) and park.

That it looks simply like an average of two years is a coincidence more than anything.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
Well, the trade is official!

Trib: Thome trade a done deal

Although, on an interesting note, nowhere in the article does it mention Gio as being part of the deal.  It just says a player to be named later.  Is it still expected to be Gio?  Am I missing something here?

:huh

In the article on MLB.com it says:

The second lefty is believed to be Giovany Gonzalez, who dominated in the low Minors. Gonzalez went a combined 11-6 with a 2.82 at Kannapolis and Winston-Salem, both Class A teams. The Phillies will likely confirm Gonzalez after the Rule 5 Draft at the Winter Meetings.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
Got it.  Well, I guess I will now give my official welcome to Mr. Thome!

Nice to have you on the south side, big guy!  :gosox3:

Well I guess it is time to embrace the new addition!

:cheers to Jim Thome! KW has added the perfect power lefty to the lineup and clubhouse that we seem to have needed! :gosox3:

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
Well I guess it is time to embrace the new addition!

:cheers to Jim Thome!  KW has added the perfect power lefty to the lineup and clubhouse that we seem to have needed!  :gosox3:

check out this thome video.... shows him hitting last year right before he had surgery.... if this guy hits like this with a bad back and a bad wrist.... uhhh look out.

check out thomes home run on 6/9/05

Edited by hi8is

Another promising perspective:

Jim Thome will have a big year for the White Sox.

Wanna bet?

If Thome - just three years ago the honored guest at Philadelphia's baseball banquet, now seemingly regarded by the same fans as the picked-over turkey carcass the day after Thanksgiving - doesn't hit at least 35 home runs next season, I'll eat this page on the steps of City Hall.

Speaking in reference to Howard and the prospects (remember Jerome Walton):

It's clear that he had no choice. He had to trade one of his two lefthanded, power-hitting first basemen. And, realistically, it had to be Thome who was sent packing.

But don't forget that Howard is still, to some extent, an unproven commodity. Jerome Walton, Todd Hollandsworth and Scott Williamson have been NL Rookies of the Year in the last two decades. In that same span, Ben Grieve, Bob Hamelin and Marty Cordova were similarly honored in the American League.

Bruce Ruffin was hailed as the next Steve Carlton when he showed up in Clearwater for spring training in 1987.

He only came up 269 career wins and one Hall of Fame plaque short.

In short, there are no guarantees.

It's not hard to imagine Howard helping the Phillies make it to the playoffs one of these days.

It's even easier to imagine Thome doing it for the White Sox in 2006.

The rest is here:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ts/13257650.htm

Edited by WinninUgly

I used to love Thome but he really truly sucked last year when he wasn't hurt.

I hope he hasn't hit the brick wall career wise.

For a long time I was dying for him to be a Sox.

Now what a question mark.

Not only his health but are any of you worried he can't hit anymore?

I mean he truly was pathetic last season.

Also will miss Aaron. Wow what a performer.

I do trust Kenny, however, after bringing us a title.

This doesn't help our smart ball attack, however, does it?

Thome is another plodder like C. Lee was.