Sox Reportedly Send Rowand, Gonzalez and Haigwood

Heads22

Sox Reportedly Send Rowand, Gonzalez and Haigwood to Philly for Thome

by FutureSox Staff

FutureSox.com

November 23, 2005

This trade is still unconfirmed.

In a move reported by Chicago and national media, the White Sox and Phillies have made a deal that sends Jim Thome and cash to the World Champion White Sox in exchange for Sox centerfielder Aaron Rowand. Also rumored to be included in the deal are Sox minor league star Daniel Haigwood and a player to be named that is possibly top Sox pitching prospect Gio Gonzalez.

More on this move as it becomes available.

Read more...

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
That's just why it's reportedly him.

So I'll take that to mean "No we have no other source."

Did anyone actually hear what Levine sounded like when he said that? Was he just tossing out something off the cuff, like "And a player to be named later, someone like maybe Gio Gonzalez" or something like that where he wasn't really saying it with confidence?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)
So I'll take that to mean "No we have no other source."

Did anyone actually hear what Levine sounded like when he said that?  Was he just tossing out something off the cuff, like "And a player to be named later, someone like maybe Gio Gonzalez" or something like that where he wasn't really saying it with confidence?

Well, I'll just say I talked to someone within the organization who said he/she cannot confirm the prospects.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
Well, I'll just say I talked to someone within the organization who said he/she cannot confirm the prospects.

Can I ask if they denied anything? I don't want to press you on your sources of course...I just want to know if there's any sort of feeling on who else we're sending.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)
I am not in favor of this trade. Too much talent, if in fact it is true, going away for an oft injured IBman when we have other options

Oft injured?? where do you get this idea? He was hurt last year, but the past ten years before he averaged about 40 HR a year. Pretty damn good for an oft injured 1B.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:47 PM)
I am not in favor of this trade. Too much talent, if in fact it is true, going away for an oft injured IBman when we have other options

I am going to be peeveish, but why do people refer to Thome as "injury prone" or anything of that ilk? In the last 11 years he has played less than 120 game ONCE (last year) and less than 140 games twice. Don't you have to be injured more than once in 10 years or so to be considered injury prone? I know his back gave him problems last year, but the guy basically never missed anytime in his career because of injury until 2005.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
I am going to be peeveish, but why do people refer to Thome as "injury prone" or anything of that ilk?  In the last 11 years he has played less than 120 game ONCE (last year) and less than 140 games twice.  Don't you have to be injured more than once in 10 years or so to be considered injury prone?  I know his back gave him problems last year, but the guy basically never missed anytime in his career because of injury until 2005.

I'm just guessing here...but I'm somewhat wondering if there weren't a few people calling Thome risky, injury prone, etc., just because they wanted to either drive his price down once it became obvious that the Phillies had to deal someone or because they wanted to drive other teams out of the market.

You have to admit he's not a bad candidate to be called "Injury prone"...he's 35 and he just sat out a season with 2 injuries. But then again, that's why we have the DH slot.