Sox Reportedly Send Rowand, Gonzalez and Haigwood

Heads22

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:11 PM)
It's Haigwood and Gio, with Haigwood being the PTBNL. Haigwood is on the 40 man roster. Tossing him into the trade right away means that Philly would have less flexibility with the upcoming Rule 5 draft. Once that mess is all straigtened out, Haigwood/Gio will be made official.

Well, in that case...let's hope that Thome's healthy and that KW can work his magic on the starting rotation next year too. You gotta give it up to get it.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 02:11 AM)
It's Haigwood and Gio, with Haigwood being the PTBNL. Haigwood is on the 40 man roster. Tossing him into the trade right away means that Philly would have less flexibility with the upcoming Rule 5 draft. Once that mess is all straigtened out, Haigwood/Gio will be made official.

:headshake

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:11 PM)

Are you sure? I was thinking 40 man roster guys aren't allowed to be PTBNL, but thats usually debatable and I may be entirely wrong. Especially since he's going to a different league.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:18 PM)
That brings up another interesting point.  The 40 man roster is now at 38 players for the Sox.  I wonder if we have a rule 5 pitcher in mind?

I assume the Sox would be able to move Fabio onto the 40 and protect him now? Sox won't go after anyone in the Rule V though. It would make no sense. A contending team isn't going to keep someone on the roster for the entire season.

Of course they would have the option of eventually trading for the player, but I still find that very unrealistic.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
I assume the Sox would be able to move Fabio onto the 40 and protect him now?  Sox won't go after anyone in the Rule V though.  It would make no sense.  A contending team isn't going to keep someone on the roster for the entire season.

Of course they would have the option of eventually trading for the player, but I still find that very unrealistic.

No. PTBNLs can even be major leaguers if they are in different leagues.

Also, I don't think the Sox can add Castro because their roster only contained 39 at the deadline. I can't imagine baseball would allow them to add Castro after the deadline (even though a spot was open at the deadline) now that they have made a trade.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
No. PTBNLs can even be major leaguers if they are in different leagues.

Also, I don't think the Sox can add Castro because their roster only contained 39 at the deadline. I can't imagine baseball would allow them to add Castro after the deadline (even though a spot was open at the deadline) now that they have made a trade.

Being that was the case, I'd agree. I thought it had to deal with being in a different league (and that you were able to trade major leaguers or PTBNL as long as they were there) but wasn't always sure.

Thanks for explaining that to me. I still doubt anyone would grab Castro and keep him on their roster the entire season.

I was never really on the Haigwood bandwagon but man Im going to miss Gio Gonzalez. I guess you got to give up some prospects though since the Phills took on so much of the contract.

Im going to miss Gio but chances are he prob wouldnt of been anything but a RP anyways...But now im going to have to jump on the Lance Broadway bandwagon :D

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
Gio Gonzalez= Arnie Munoz

Well for starters, Munoz did his best work in the pen (early 2004 at B-Ham is the anomaly), and Gio just put up 48 more K's then Munoz did in Arnie's best season.

You can't definitely say, Gio is going to fail at the higher levels like Arnie did. Some of our pitchers like B-Mac and Haigwood THRIVED when they made the jump from high A to AA.

He'll be 20 at the start of next season and will probably be in AA ball I'd say. That's very impressive at that age, with the K/9 ratio's he put up.

I am going to give a threadjacking to the minor league considerations here, but is there any chance that Chris Young could break camp as our starting CF in 2006?

I'm sure he will be given the chance but I doubt he wins the job. It will be a three-way competition in Spring Training I'm sure -- Anderson, Owens, and Young.