With Thome here

sayitaintso

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
Since the sox just aquired Thome, do you guys/girls think that Paulie will be back with the sox to play first and have Thome DH or is Thome going to be our first basemen next season?

To be honest I don't think it means anything either way. We only added 4 mill for this season so this deal just doesnt effect PK either way imo.

I think it can only help PK...think about this...we just added a decent backup 1b so that PK can play DH if and when he's hurting or sore (unlike this year), and we added a huge amount of either protection or guys on base for Konerko, since Thome gets on base all the time if he hit in front of Paulie or he make sure everyone pitches to PK if he hits behind him.

If we're not massively outbid, PK will be back...and now that the Mets are out of the running...

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)
To be honest I don't think it means anything either way.  We only added 4 mill for this season so this deal just doesnt effect PK either way imo.

How'd we add $4M...are you just assuming some arbitration figures?

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
Since the sox just aquired Thome, do you guys/girls think that Paulie will be back with the sox to play first and have Thome DH or is Thome going to be our first basemen next season?

Konerko will be back...I feel it. We can have both. This does probaby mean FRank is gone. I can't see how not.

$4 million is the $6 million or so that Thome will be paid by us next year minus the $2 million or so ARow would have earned.

I like to think of it this way...we just filled the DH role for $4.5 million and cleared space in the outfield to start bringing in the youth this team needs to keep our salary from going crazy.

If we'd brought in someone like a Delgado...we wouldn't have had a chance to sign Konerko. Anything that builds this team without making it impossible to sign Paulie I think increases our chances of signing him. We still have the $4.5 million sitting around from buying out Frank's deal to play with, on top of the $8 million Konerko would earn...and that's just if we held steady and didn't increase salary at all.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 05:29 PM)
Konerko will be back...I feel it.  We can have both.  This does probaby mean FRank is gone.  I can't see how not.

I didn't look at it that way, but if Konerko is back with Thome that would make us better. I would be sorry to see Frank go though.