Soxy

Mittens or Gloves  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Mittens or Gloves

• Mittens
    • Gloves
    • Don't need 'em

i voted for mittens because i like not being able to use my fingers

Would you mind fleshing out this concept a little? That is, if it can be told in polite society. Has it something to do with self-abnegation?

I always have one pair of mittens around, just because I think I should. But I never seem to wear them. Otherwise, it's gloves, gloves, gloves. One mistake I often make is to go cheap and then regret what I've gotten, so I end up with a box full of gloves that don't fit properly, or aren't warm or protective enough depending on their intended use.

Come to think of it now - the poll was a bit vague. Are we talking just winter gloves here? Not garden gloves, or barbed-wire stringing gloves, or snake catching gloves, or...? Me, I have different tools for different purposes.

For walking out to my car, and that is about it? Gloves.

For anything even remotely dealing with spending time outside? Mittens. If you have ever worked outside, you will fully understand why gloves suck. The best are the hunting mittens. They are fingerless gloves that fold over to being mittens. With gloves, your fingers will NEVER stay warm, no matter what types of material you are using. With mittens, your fingers are able to keep each other warm. Try running a gun on a survey crew for 10 hours in 20 below zero temperatures, then tell me the people using mittens are not "men". :D

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 09:29 PM)
For walking out to my car, and that is about it? Gloves.

For anything even remotely dealing with spending time outside? Mittens. If you have ever worked outside, you will fully understand why gloves suck. The best are the hunting mittens. They are fingerless gloves that fold over to being mittens. With gloves, your fingers will NEVER stay warm, no matter what types of material you are using. With mittens, your fingers are able to keep each other warm. Try running a gun on a survey crew for 10 hours in 20 below zero temperatures, then tell me the people using mittens are not "men".  :D

I do just fine with gloves. Half the time my hands start to sweat.

You are not buying the right gloves...

The best answer is a compromise - when my son was in Boy Scouts we found these neat gloves that covered your fingers about 3/4 length with a mitten like cover that folded back when you needed to use your fingers!!!

Think we got them at either Sport-mart or REI

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
I do just fine with gloves. Half the time my hands start to sweat.

You are not buying the right gloves...

Trust me, I've bought "the right gloves". I've spent so much money on gloves it's ridiculous. Stand outside in the dead of winter, without moving anything but your arms slightly, for 8 hours. Then tell me there is any glove that works. The only ones are the hunting gloves I mentioned, and they are basically mittens.

QUOTE(J-MAN @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
The best answer is a compromise - when my son was in Boy Scouts we found these neat gloves that covered your fingers about 3/4 length with a mitten like cover that folded back when you needed to use your fingers!!!

Think we got them at either Sport-mart or REI

Those are the hunting gloves I mentioned. They are one of the greatest inventions of mankind. Use a thin thermal glove liner, and you will never get cold.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
Trust me, I've bought "the right gloves". I've spent so much money on gloves it's ridiculous. Stand outside in the dead of winter, without moving anything but your arms slightly, for 8 hours. Then tell me there is any glove that works. The only ones are the hunting gloves I mentioned, and they are basically mittens.

Maybe it's just me then. My wife complains that I give off a lot of body heat anyway.

My biggest problem is keeping my feet and nose warm...

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
Maybe it's just me then. My wife complains that I give off a lot of body heat anyway.

My biggest problem is keeping my feet and nose warm...

The feet are hopeless, especially if your job was like mine and you didn't move at all. Nothing can save them.

For the nose, on COLD days, get yourself one of those Head Sock things. Those things are amazing!