So who is next?

RME JICO

Who will the next Sox acquisition be?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the next Sox acquisition be?

• Juan Pierre
    • Ichiro Suzuki
    • Johnny Damon
    • Bill Mueller
    • Brian Giles
    • Luis Gonzalez
    • Other

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually heard Marte and a prospect for Pierre.  The main thing the Marlins need to do right now is drop salary by 20-30 million.  They are well on their way.

the marlins may be in the process of a firesale, but i dont think they are trying to take it up the ass. marte and a prospect for pierre is so one sided their entire front office will be canned.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
I think when it comes to starters we are done.  We might aquire bench depth, but the Sox starting line up is set IMO.

If that's the case, the fans are defrauded. Because Anderson makes less than Rowand did last year and Thome makes less than Konerko last year (aggregate of around $4mill). And the disparity is even greater compared to what Rowand and Konerko will make in 2006. So that would mean that JR is taking his championship, taking his sold out season tickets, and slashing payroll.

I certainly hope that isn't the case.

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
If that's the case, the fans are defrauded.  Because Anderson makes less than Rowand did last year and Thome makes less than Konerko last year (aggregate of around $4mill).  And the disparity is even greater compared to what Rowand and Konerko will make in 2006.  So that would mean that JR is taking his championship, taking his sold out season tickets, and slashing payroll.

I certainly hope that isn't the case.

That won't happen. Konerko will be back and than they'll probably extend Garland's deal while other players are due raises. Plus the Sox are still going to bring in another bat (to hit 2nd) and possibly another reliever.

I also think Kenny is going to leave himself some serious cash for the trade deadline to allow him to go get someone if necessary.

Plus as of now he needs to keep some things free so if Paulie goes elsewhere he can enter into the Manny fray :)

I don't think the Marlins would take Marte back in a Pierre deal. Their major goal seems to be to save as much money as possible and absorb basically no money. Why else would they give up a gifted young starter and a starting 3B for Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez? If they really had any desire to compete next year, they would have gone after another deal that would have gotten them a decent hitter and bullpen pitcher back. It would seem that they'd try to steal a good prospect or two instead.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:33 PM)
Is Overbay available?  That would be a steal, but I don't see the Brewers giving him away for Marte, but I guess you never know.

With Prince Fielder being ready and if Milwaukee feels he can play they will more than likely deal Overbay...of course it will take more than just Marte but he would probably be a big part of the deal since The Brew Crew need bullpen help. Its just conjecture and not much else....

According to EPSN radio's Bruce Levine- the Sox are 'out' of the Pierre sweepstakes- so as of right now the Center fielder will be Brian Anderson.

However, anything can happen.

As of right now- here is KW's to do list:

1. Sign Pauly (and if not- make another trade to aqcuire a 1B. For example: Overbay)

2. Explore other CF options out there. Is BA ready to be the everday CFer? We are defending the WS title

3. Make 1 or 2 moves to bolster the pen even more. I'm guessing Marte will be leaving this offseason- that being said another lefty in the pen would be nice. Duque and Marte for Overbay anybody?

I'm thinking the other half of the Marlins duo, Castillo

To quote Hawk, "where would he play?" We already have Iguchi at second base and Thome will likely be our DH. Unless you think Konerko won't re-sign, Thome will be our first baseman, and you want Castillo to play second base with Iguchi at DH.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
To quote Hawk, "where would he play?"  We already have Iguchi at second base and Thome will likely be our DH.  Unless you think Konerko won't re-sign, Thome will be our first baseman, and you want Castillo to play second base with Iguchi at DH.

See my thread on 'Could Iguchi be traded?'

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 10:50 PM)
With Thome in the lineup, I think the Sox could afford to lose abit of the pop if they can't resign Paulie and swing a deal with Marte going to Milwaukee for Overbay....Thats who I still think the Sox should use as plan B

Overbay should've been plan A..

I never said that. I asked if he could be traded.

Beck, back to more intelligent discussion which I believe is what you were looking for.

No question Guillen loves Castillo, he's exactly the player he looks for but I don't see Iguchi being moved. The White Sox feel Iguchi will be a better player next year, with one year's adjustment to the league and possibly less pressure by being moved down in the order. The biggest question mark with Iguchi has been answered ... he is solid defensively at 2B. I think they will keep him for the next two years at least, and try to develop Chris Getz as the 2B of the future, they are very high on Chris Getz.

But I agree with your premise, especially your comments about strikeouts. Guillen wants this team to K a lot less and he wants that #2 hitter to take pressure off Podsednik.

After a nite to sleep on it, the wild card here is Jerry Owens. I still have my doubts they will go with a rookie(s) in CF but if they have complete and total faith in their young players they just might do it. As I always say, they (mgmt.) are a lot closer to the situation than we are, and let's face it they have earned our trust.

Guillen went down to winter ball and was impressed with Owens so he may very well factor into the equation if they can't get or aren't interested in someone from outside the organization (Pierre).

Do you go with these 4 outfielders for 2006: Podsednik, Anderson, Dye, Owens?

Unorthodox maybe, but possible?

I think the next two weeks will tell the story, maybe sooner, i.e. after the physicals and when KW can comment more specifically on the trade and future plans.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 03:53 AM)
According to EPSN radio's Bruce Levine- the Sox are 'out' of the Pierre sweepstakes- so as of right now the Center fielder will be Brian Anderson.

However, anything can happen.

As of right now- here is KW's to do list:

1. Sign Pauly (and if not- make another trade to aqcuire a 1B. For example: Overbay)

2. Explore other CF options out there. Is BA ready to be the everday CFer? We are defending the WS title

3. Make 1 or 2 moves to bolster the pen even more. I'm guessing Marte will be leaving this offseason- that being said another lefty in the pen would be nice. Duque and Marte for Overbay anybody?

The Brewers are going to be asking for a whole lot to get rid of Overbay. Duque and Marte would be garbage to them.

I think they'd have interest in Marte, but try Marte, Anderson or Sweeney, and something like Sean Tracey.

And the Sox would be foolish to make that deal. Its all for not though, Konerko will be resigned by the end of the winter meetings.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
Beck, back to more intelligent discussion which I believe is what you were looking for.

No question Guillen loves Castillo, he's exactly the player he looks for but I don't see Iguchi being moved.  The White Sox feel Iguchi will be a better player next year, with one year's adjustment to the league and possibly less pressure by being moved down in the order.  The biggest question mark with Iguchi has been answered ... he is solid defensively at 2B.  I think they will keep him for the next two years at least, and try to develop Chris Getz as the 2B of the future, they are very high on Chris Getz.

But I agree with your premise, especially your comments about strikeouts.  Guillen wants this team to K a lot less and he wants that #2 hitter to take pressure off Podsednik.

After a nite to sleep on it, the wild card here is Jerry Owens.  I still have my doubts they will go with a rookie(s) in CF but if they have complete and total faith in their young players they just might do it.  As I always say, they (mgmt.) are a lot closer to the situation than we are, and let's face it they have earned our trust.

Guillen went down to winter ball and was impressed with Owens so he may very well factor into the equation if they can't get or aren't interested in someone from outside the organization (Pierre).

Do you go with these 4 outfielders for 2006:  Podsednik, Anderson, Dye, Owens?

Unorthodox maybe, but possible?

I think the next two weeks will tell the story, maybe sooner, i.e. after the physicals and when KW can comment more specifically on the trade and future plans.

If Thome, Konerko and Dye are producing in the middle of the lineup (plus AJP and Iguchi down in the order) it makes it a lot more easy for you to develop 2 young outfielders, imo.

I am sure this won't be a popular thought but hell I will ask it anyway. What if the Sox were to possibly go after Corey Patterson? The kid has tons of talent and has a much better arm than most already being discussed. If they can put him in the 7 or 8 hole and take the pressure off of him maybe he would be able to produce. I'm not saying here, I'm just saying. Thoughts?

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
I am sure this won't be a popular thought but hell I will ask it anyway. What if the Sox were to possibly go after Corey Patterson? The kid has tons of talent and has a much better arm than most already being discussed. If they can put him in the 7 or 8 hole and take the pressure off of him maybe he would be able to produce. I'm not saying here, I'm just saying. Thoughts?

No.

No.

No.

No.

Oh, and did I say no?

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)

Thats okay, he can stay on the Cubs.