So who is next?

RME JICO

Who will the next Sox acquisition be?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who will the next Sox acquisition be?

• Juan Pierre
    • Ichiro Suzuki
    • Johnny Damon
    • Bill Mueller
    • Brian Giles
    • Luis Gonzalez
    • Other

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 02:05 AM)
I wouldn't mind picking up Patterson as a backup OF. He'd come cheap. It's been something I've thought about for a year. I think the Cubs did just mess him up with wanting him to go up and down in the order so much and never letting him get comfortable in one spot.

A back up OFer has to play more than just CF. I don't think he'd be worth the talent it'd take to acquire him.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Florida Papers this morning are reporting that the Marlins may be moving Ron Villione to the Yankess. Now I know he was terrible after he was traded there, but he was very good for Seattle for a season and a half, and could maybe be an option, if KW was still thinking about trading Marte and getting in a replacement.

If that's the case, the fans are defrauded.  Because Anderson makes less than Rowand did last year and Thome makes less than Konerko last year (aggregate of around $4mill).  And the disparity is even greater compared to what Rowand and Konerko will make in 2006.  So that would mean that JR is taking his championship, taking his sold out season tickets, and slashing payroll.

I certainly hope that isn't the case.

Don't forget all the payraises from arbitration for Crede, Garland, etc... He's not cutting payroll. If anything he is raising it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 05:17 AM)
The Florida Papers this morning are reporting that the Marlins may be moving Ron Villione to the Yankess. Now I know he was terrible after he was traded there, but he was very good for Seattle for a season and a half, and could maybe be an option, if KW was still thinking about trading Marte and getting in a replacement.

Once again, I'd rather keep Marte. Marte has the ability and has been one of the very best lefty relievers in baseball. Hell he even stepped it up and was key to the extra inning world series victory.

Even last year, as bad as he was, he was better than most lefties in baseball (although he really tanked it late in the year). That said, no one is going to tell me the Sox are going to find an equal replacement for Marte without having to give up more value for this new replacement (both prospect wise and financially).

It would not be wise to deal Marte and it wouldn't be wise to trade him and not replace him. Ozzie likes using both lefties and he likes using the main horses of his pen, Marte can go back to being that. He had a down year and he will rebound.

He showed that he was healthy late in the season and you could see the stuff there. Its just a matter of him getting his confidence back.

We have to power- it makes sense to get some more speed. However, Brian Anderson plays better defense. Hmmmm decisions-decisions! Its not like we need Pierre, I mean Iguchi is a very productive #2 hitter. I would like to see BA get a chance to be ROY. I would also like to see the P-P's get 150 SBs combined as well. I'm 50-50 on the Anderson vs Pierre as well! However, to me Myers is a no brainer over Marte. He just isn't consistant enough to keep him. He had 1 solid performance in the WS, but he also almost blew a game for us in the ALDS. Thank god we have Cotts these days.... DAMN do we have a good team!!! Whatever Kenny does- i'm all for it. He's earned my trust years ago.

QUOTE(lemon44 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
Ed Farmer was on the Score today and said that Nomar might go to a team and play CF.Maybe the Sox are the team thinking about this and he could back up Crede at third.

Pass on Nomar. Where he goes- teams fail one way or another. Heard he is a clubhouse cancer also. Besides I would much rather go with a young phenom in BA over a veteran who has never played the possition.

Juan Pierre? I would like to see him in a Sox uni, but IMO Brian Anderson is the starting CF next year.

Ichiro Suzuki? Boy I would luuuuv to see this, however now that the M's just signed the Japanese All Star Catcher Kenji Jojima, the chances of seeing Suzuki here are slim and none...

Johnny Damon? Scott Boras is the agent...fuhgedaboudit.

Bill Mueller? Maybe as a great utility player/backup to Joe Crede.

Brian Giles? No, too expensive, mid 30s.

Luis Gonzalez? Interesting...good player, can still hit, good left handed bat and good veteran leadership. Hmmmm....interesting. Can he still play decent LF??? He would make a good #2 hitter with his contact swing and pop in his bat.

Other: This is what I chose. IMO the Sox will look to upgrade the pen, specifically if they can find a great LHP reliever to take over for Damaso Marte. I still feel that Neal Cotts has an outside shot at the #5 for next year (in case for some slim reason that BMac has a terrible spring), however he might be in line for a starter role down the road.

I guess Mueller would be a good option to back up Crede and also provide insurance for first base. However, his signing IMO would definitely cement the fact that Frank is not coming back. I know, I'm holding on to tiny shreds of hope.

I also just wanted to shoot a name out there for additional consideration in light of the perceived need of a new #2 hitter. I was looking through some numbers, trying to get a bead on someone. I noticed Gooch only hit about .180 when behind in the count, something he's asked to do quite frequently when Pods is on base. When he's ahead in the count, he's hitting a robust .340ish, further aiding the case for him to be moved lower in the order. Going through lists in that manner, most of the players who accel at hitting when behind in the count are middle infielders, not many superstars. Guys like Sean Casey and David Eckstein really accel at this particular aspect. Finally I stumbled upon a player who hasn't come up in trade talks but could feasibly be had for a relatively low price in trade. That person? Brady Clark. Not a big name, not a sexy name, but somebody who could get the job done IMO. While I'm fine with the idea of having Anderson in CF, for those who aren't satisfied with the rookie in center and want to get more out of the Gooch this, on paper, sounds like a good proposition. He hit .306 on the season and .276 when behind in the count. He played exclusively in CF last year, and no he's not Arow caliber out there. He bats right so we could go pods-clark-thome (LRL). He's got ok power and speed, 13 homers and 10 steals (was bad at getting caught last year though). He only K'ed 55 times last year, so he's got pretty good bat control. 31 doubles, so he's got gap power too. He's already 32, but just played his first full season and only made a little over a million. His two previous semi-full seasons he hit .273 and .280, so he'll probably be good for around a .300 season consistently. Jason Stark labeled him, along with Garland, as one of 5 players last year who finally found "it." He lead off for the Brewers last year, so he could reasonably handle those duties if Pods makes an out or gets the unjury bug again. I wouldn't think we'd have to give up as much to get him as say we would for Pierre. They have the beginnings of a very talented infield with Fielder, Weeks, Hardy, and Hall. They also have a bunch of good pitchers in their minors. Maybe they'd want someone to put beside Corey Hart in a young OF? I don't think they have any decent lefty relievers either. Maybe a package of Marte+Anderson could net Clark+Manny Parra/Jose Capellan/Hendrickson/???. At first glance Clark is nothing special, but he could be an excellent #2 hitter.

Going to school in Wisconsin I got to watch the Brewers a lot on TV, and I every time I saw Brady Clark last year it reminded me of ARow in 2004. He plays all out and is a stud. I agree with your assessment of him, but I'm just not sure if Miliwaukee would want to give him up right now, they are most likely losing CLee next year too so they might want to hold onto them. But I'm sure if they hear a good offer they'd make the deal. I think Clark would fit well.

Could you imagine this lineup:

1 - Scott Podsednik LF

2 - Ichiro Suzuki CF

3 - Jim Thome DH

4 - Paul Konerko 1B

5 - Jermaine Dye RF

6 - Tadahito Iguchi 2B

7 - AJ Pierzynski C

8 - Joe Crede 3B

9 - Juan Uribe SS

Hey, I can dream can't I? :(