This trade allows White Sox to resign Konerko!

Scuff

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 03:05 AM)
We aren't paying $8 million to Frank, $4 million to Everett, and $3.25 million to Rowand.  That's $15.25 million.  Thome will make around $8 million and Brian Anderson will make the minimum.

Actually, the Sox are doing way better, consider the following:

Thome's contract:

2006 - $12.5 Million (-7.3 Phils) = Sox pay $5.2 Million

2007 - $14.0 Million (-7.3 Phils) = Sox pay $6.7 Million

2008 - $14.0 Million (-7.3 Phils) = Sox pay $6.7 Million

Savings in 2006 from lost salaries:

Frank Thomas - $8 million

Carl Everett - $4 million

Aaron Rowand - $3.25 million

Total - $15.25 million

2006 Costs

Jim Thome $5.2 million

Frank Thomas buyout $3.5 million

Carl Everett buyout $0.5 million

Total $9.2 million

Available money from moves - $6.05 million

Paulie's last salary: $8.75 million

Estimated salary: $12.0 million

Difference: +$3.25 million

Remaining cash: $2.80 million

That leaves $2.8 million to replace Rowand after picking up Thome and re-signing Kong @ 4/52.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)
This team wins the f***ign world series and is still under a damn salary Cap.

Would you rather see them spend $120 million one year, and then go Florida Marlins on us the next year? This team has been perpetually competitive for a long time now, because the management has been smart both playerwise and financially.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Nov 23, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
That's my problem this team goes out and wins the series and still has to manuvre under the JR salary Cap.

Teams get themselves in trouble by adding payroll just because they can and making moves just because their fan base wants them to. JR is going to raise payroll a considerable amount but Kenny just isn't going to add payroll just because he can. That's not smart business.

Thome - coming off an injury, and a terrible season by his standards, with many ???? for $7 mil

Konerko - coming off an All-Star, LCS MVP, season. No ???? for $10 mil plus

Which do we sign?

Things have not changed as much as y'all are thinking. I will cheerfully retract my statement of Konerko is signed, until then, it's vintage WS. This trade provides cover for not signing him. There is far less pressure not to sign him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
Kenny Williams is the king of buy low, sell high.  Look at the guys he has gotten, and when he got them.

There was something in the paper yesterday how Kenny has said he wouldn't have been able to land Pods or Uribe if they had come off good seasons. That's something Kenny tries to do, find a player who might be coming off a bad season who he believes will bounce back in a big way. I still find it hard to believe that anyone could criticize Kenny about anything this offseason. Whether you believe it's a good deal or not he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Thome - coming off an injury, and a terrible season by his standards, with many ???? for $7 mil

Konerko - coming off an All-Star, LCS MVP, season. No ???? for $10 mil plus

Which do we sign?

Things have not changed as much as y'all are thinking. I will cheerfully retract my statement of Konerko is signed, until then, it's vintage WS. This trade provides cover for not signing him. There is far less pressure not to sign him.

You make it sound much easier than it is. Konerko will not cost only $10 million plus. He will likely receive $13 million a year for 4-5 years. That's a guaranteed $52-$65 million dollars. Thome, when healthy, is a better hitter than Konerko. I think people are forgetting this fact.

Thome for 3 years, $24 million >>>>> Konerko for 4-5 years, $52-$65 million

If we are able to re-sign Konerko, we are even better.

Wow i cant imagine how good we would be if we now got konerko and pierre,konerko and thome are 2 power guys who can produce 40+ hrs 100+ rbis and then u got 2 of the best leadoff hitters in the game to get on it front of them and not to mention can both easily steal 70 bases to go along with a great rotation and a great bullpen

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
You make it sound much easier than it is.  Konerko will not cost only $10 million plus.  He will likely receive $13 million a year for 4-5 years.  That's a guaranteed $52-$65 million dollars.  Thome, when healthy, is a better hitter than Konerko.  I think people are forgetting this fact.

Thome for 3 years, $24 million  >>>>>  Konerko for 4-5 years, $52-$65 million

If we are able to re-sign Konerko, we are even better.

I'm not making it sound easier, I am trying to point out this is a typical Sox move.

I should have been clearer Konerko will cost more than $10 mil, I agree. That is why I wrote $10 mil plus, choose the plus you want, plus $2 mil plus $3 mil plus $4 mil whatever.

And look how often Thome and *if* are in the same sentance. *If* he returns to form, *if* his shoulder rehab works.

This is classic Sox moves. Grab a guy with "ifs" for less and let the guy without "ifs" go. That is why my position is the World Series changed nothing. Konerko will not be signed, Thomas will.

And people will write

Thomas for 2 years $8 mil + incentives >>>>>> Konerko for 4-5 years, $52-$65 *IF* Frank is healthy and produces his regular numbers.

This has been a fact of White Sox baseball for what seems like forever. Kenny has played the *if* game with an almost perfect record.

Does this also mean we are getting away from small ball?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
I'm not making it sound easier, I am trying to point out this is a typical Sox move.

I should have been clearer Konerko will cost more than $10 mil, I agree. That is why I wrote $10 mil plus, choose the plus you want, plus $2 mil plus $3 mil plus $4 mil whatever.

And look how often Thome and *if* are in the same sentance. *If* he returns to form, *if* his shoulder rehab works.

This is classic Sox moves. Grab a guy with "ifs" for less and let the guy without "ifs" go. That is why my position is the World Series changed nothing. Konerko will not be signed, Thomas will.

And people will write

Thomas for 2 years $8 mil + incentives >>>>>> Konerko for 4-5 years, $52-$65 *IF* Frank is healthy and produces his regular numbers.

This has been a fact of White Sox baseball for what seems like forever. Kenny has played the *if* game with an almost perfect record.

Didn't you not like any of the moves last year either?? Kenny knows what he's doing. Also..no we're not getting away from smallball but we needed another middle of the order bat.

EDIT: I should add that this team was still a mashing team last year but they could play smallball if need be. Anyways, we needed another middle of the order hitter and I still think Kenny and Oz would like to add someone so we can continue the smallball attitude.

Edited by Rowand44

Tex there's no such thing as "typical Sox" any more.

They just won the World Series.

You know, I know, the whole board knows they needed a big lefthanded bat since God knows when. They just got one, dealing from strength.

Williams continues to say that Konerko is priority one, even stating he told Konerko he'd get a big lefthanded bat to protect him.

The typical White Sox of the Bill Veeck eras wouldn't have acquired Thome, they would've rented him, let him go, cried poor, and then made millions selling the ball club.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
Didn't you not like any of the moves last year either??  Kenny knows what he's doing.  Also..no we're not getting away from smallball but we needed another middle of the order bat.

I felt that without a .300 hitter, someone to get on base, the team would have a hard time scoring runs. Small ball is nice, but someone has to get on. I think I was correct, they did struggle to score runs.

I'm not saying I dislike this move. I think it is the best Kenny could do because I have almost no hope that Konerko will be resigned. It will be a huge steal *if* Thome returns healthy and *if* his body is holding up and *if* he adjusts to AL pitching.

I am saying this is vintage Sox baseball. See above where Kenny said he couldn't get Pods or Uribe *if* they hadn't come off less than average seasons. Buy low and sell high is how SS described it. AJ, a move I liked, was coming off a season where he was labeled a clubhouse cancer, so *if* that was wrong, it would be a great signing. Another *if* came through. We are almost always signing cheaper players with *ifs* over proven guys in or near their prime.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 07:12 PM)
Tex there's no such thing as "typical Sox" any more. 

They just won the World Series.

You know, I know, the whole board knows they needed a big lefthanded bat since God knows when.  They just got one, dealing from strength.

Williams continues to say that Konerko is priority one, even stating he told Konerko he'd get a big lefthanded bat to protect him.

The typical White Sox of the Bill Veeck eras wouldn't have acquired Thome, they would've rented him, let him go, cried poor, and then made millions selling the ball club.

I'd tend to agree...i think KW is not a typical sox personnel...i think he's gonna get Konerko...i really think we can get him too...

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
I'd tend to agree...i think KW is not a typical sox personnel...i think he's gonna get Konerko...i really think we can get him too...

If they do get Konerko, then the typical dies, if they do not, I stand by my statement. We picked up a guy with a huge upside, coming off question marks, versus landing the guy coming off perhaps his best season.

Cheaper with ?? - your expensive free agent = typical Sox move.

Cheaper with ?? + your expensive free agent = New Era in Sox baseball move.

Every trade and signing in baseball is an "if".

Konerko will be worth a big huge contract "if" he builds on this year and "if" he doesn't have big prolonged slumps like 2003, and "if" there's no truth to the bad hip thing, etc. etc.

And people will write

We shall see. I won't be too surprised if we manage to re-sign Konerko and Frank is gone.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
I felt that without a .300 hitter, someone to get on base, the team would have a hard time scoring runs. Small ball is nice, but someone has to get on. I think I was correct, they did struggle to score runs.

I'm not saying I dislike this move. I think it is the best Kenny could do because I have almost no hope that Konerko will be resigned. It will be a huge steal *if* Thome returns healthy and *if* his body is holding up and *if* he adjusts to AL pitching.

I am saying this is vintage Sox baseball. See above where Kenny said he couldn't get Pods or Uribe *if* they hadn't come off less than average seasons. Buy low and sell high is how SS described it. AJ, a move I liked, was coming off a season where he was labeled a clubhouse cancer, so *if* that was wrong, it would be a great signing. Another *if* came through. We are almost always signing cheaper players with *ifs* over proven guys in or near their prime.

Baseball is a business and some times you have to take those risks. Thome is actually not that huge of a risk imo, he had one injury plagued year and none of those injuries should be nagging. Kenny does buy low and that's why he's so successful..he finds diamonds in the rough all the time. You don't just throw money at people just to throw money at them when you can find as good of an option for less..that's how teams get themselves in trouble. Also...IMO this team doesn't come close to a world championship if the Lee for Pods trade never happened, though I know I'm in the minority there since Pods seemed to hit many peoples s*** list for whatever reason.

I really don't know what to think. I'm going to miss Aaron Rowand, I'm glad we got Thome and we may get Konerko back. But I am a little upset about either losing Frank or Paulie. I really don't want to lose Frank because I wanted to see him finish his career with the Sox. But Paulie has been more consistant and less injury prone compared to Frank. I don't know what to think. Either way you look at it were gonna loose somebody.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 07:22 PM)
If they do get Konerko, then the typical dies, if they do not, I stand by my statement. We picked up a guy with a huge upside, coming off question marks, versus landing the guy coming off perhaps his best season.

Cheaper with ?? - your expensive free agent = typical Sox move.

Cheaper with ?? + your expensive free agent = New Era in Sox baseball move.

i suppose your right, but i feel this is different because we actually have a chance with kong, rather than basically no chance with maggs, hell, well we didn't want him...I'd be very suprised if we don't sign him...but seriously 5 for 65 is ridiculous if he gets it...

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
i suppose your right, but i feel this is different because we actually have a chance with kong, rather than basically no chance with maggs, hell, well we didn't want him...I'd be very suprised if we don't sign him...but seriously 5 for 65 is ridiculous if he gets it...

Maggs was the one who killed all negotiations with the Sox...that was his fault, not the sox.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
Maggs was the one who killed all negotiations with the Sox...that was his fault, no the sox.

yeah, well thats why i feel this is different

frankly, as a fairly young sox fan i haven't experienced that many instances of one of our superstars approaching free agency, with maggs we knew he was gone after he didn't take our before the season started offer...but with kong, considering that we have the resources to sign him, its a matter of how much he is worth, and is signing kong this year worth forfeiting 3 of our players in the upcoming years?

One thing to think about, the White Sox have not done a good job of drafting and developing an impact 1B.

They need to target this area.

They have done well with young OF types and with pitching they've done ok too.

It is very tough to consistently draft and develop guys at every position and expect they'll make an impact. It will be even harder this year 'cause they're drafting at the bottom.