Could Iguchi be moved?

beck72

Before things start flying around, I'm not advocating a deal. Yet with Ozzie's stated desire to add speed and a new #2 hitter, few position players could be moved with viable replacements. Pierre could be an option for CF and to hit #2. But that seems off the board. Anderson should be able to fill Arows role--good defense and some pop down in the lineup. So stick with the kid there. In order to pay big salaries elsewhere, the sox need to add in rookies. Pods and Dye are set, so the OF isn't an option

The IF is the only realistic spot to add. Crede and Uribe came up big, esp in the playoffs. While both of their OBP's are bad, they have pop and gloves hard to match by any other options, via trade [of names mentioned who could be available--free agency probably isn't an option now w/ Thome added].

That leaves 2b. Could Iguchi's defense and offense be replaced? I don't know. Right now, only Luis Castillo comes to mind as a #2 hitter who seems to fit Ozzie's wishes and is rumored to be on the block [don't discount the added benefit of having another guy who could hit leadoff--Thome and PK need guys on base to drive in]

If he's not hitting #2, he'd be another RH hitter with some pop hitting between 6th-9th. The sox already have Anderson, Uribe and Crede as similar types [though anderson does project to have a higher OBP]. Anderson will K a lot. Though Rowand K'd over 100 times. Tad K'd 114 times.

More than likely, the sox stick with Iguchi as the #2 hitter. Still, it was Ozzie who convinced KW to change the style of play. And we all know Ozzie has said he wants more speed and a #2 hitter for 2006.....

Thoughts?

My thoughts- KW goes after an OF with speed. Iguchi's importance to our first World title in 88 years secured himself a spot in '06. I don't see Iguchi as our DH- he's a solid 2B. That being said- I can see KW going after a Pierre type player. But according to Bruce Levine- Pierre won't be coming to the Sox. So who knows?

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
My thoughts- KW goes after an OF with speed. Iguchi's importance to our first World title in 88 years secured himself a spot in '06. I don't see Iguchi as our DH- he's a solid 2B. That being said- I can see KW going after a Pierre type player. But according to Bruce Levine- Pierre won't be coming to the Sox. So who knows?

I know the sox inquired about Ichiro and was told he wasn't available. But few OFers would really fit. The Sox shouldn't get an OF with a big contract because of the guys they have coming up the sytem. Pierre would because he only has 1 yr left.

Iguchi wouldn't DH. He'd be traded if they got a 2bman for the #2 spot

With the way Ozzie spoke glowingly about him as his "MVP" the only move I can see Tadahito making is down the order.

Of course if we can't get Crede locked up, Bill Mueller could be an option, even though I'd prefer Joe, after the way he came on this season.

Of course one last option still is RF. Dye could conceiveably move to 1st, if we can't re-sign Paulie, and that opens up the scenario of signing a #2 hitter who plays RF (Xavier Nady, Bobby Abreu, Eric Byrnes, Chad Tracy, Reggie Sanders perhaps?), and maybe bringing Thomas back as a DH guy off the bench if he wants to come back in that position (although I'd extremely doubt it).

EDIT: Phil Rogers is also talking up the chances of Jerry Owens possibly beating out Anderson. Certainly if he has an excellent spring training, and Ozzie really wants that speed input at the #2 hole, I wouldn't completely rule it out, although right now it's a 90% bet that Brian Anderson will be patrolling CF come opening day in 2006.

Edited by DBAH0

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
With the way Ozzie spoke glowingly about him as his "MVP" the only move I can see Tadahito making is down the order.

Of course if we can't get Crede locked up, Bill Mueller could be an option, even though I'd prefer Joe, after the way he came on this season.

Of course one last option still is RF. Dye could conceiveably move to 1st, if we can't re-sign Paulie, and that opens up the scenario of signing a #2 hitter who plays RF (Xavier Nady, Bobby Abreu, Eric Byrnes, Chad Tracy, Reggie Sanders perhaps?), and maybe bringing Thomas back as a DH guy off the bench if he wants to come back in that position (although I'd extremely doubt it).

Like I said, not many viable options. I'd rather have Iguchi.

EDIT: Phil Rogers is also talking up the chances of Jerry Owens possibly beating out Anderson. Certainly if he has an excellent spring training, and Ozzie really wants that speed input at the #2 hole, I wouldn't completely rule it out, although right now it's a 90% bet that Brian Anderson will be patrolling CF come opening day in 2006.

I've read that Jerry Owens isn't very good defensively in center field. If that scenario actually happens and Owens earns a starting spot in the outfield, I wonder if he would play left field with Podsednik playing center. :puke

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)

If Owens is that close to the majors, either he or Anderson could be moved [which if the sox wanted Pierre, I'm sure one of those two would be the asking price for him]. With Chris Young coming on, one of those could be moved

There is as much chance of the Sox trading Tadahito as there is of them getting rid of Buerhle, Garcia AND Contreras. In other words, it's not happening. The Sox are very high on Tadahito, he's relatively inexpensive and possesses one of the most well-rounded skill sets among second baseman. Additionally, the Sox think he may be better utilized as a slugger toward the bottem of the order. The reason they want a speedy two-hole hitter is because they perceive that much of Iguchi's offensive production is being wasted by focusing on moving runners over and taking pitches to give Pods steal opportunities. He's very good at that, but he doesn't get to flash his extra-base power very much in that capacity.

QUOTE(infohawk @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
There is as much chance of the Sox trading Tadahito as there is of them getting rid of Buerhle, Garcia AND Contreras.  In other words, it's not happening.  The Sox are very high on Tadahito, he's relatively inexpensive and possesses one of the most well-rounded skill sets among second baseman.  Additionally, the Sox think he may be better utilized as a slugger toward the bottem of the order.  The reason they want a speedy two-hole hitter is because they perceive that much of Iguchi's offensive production is being wasted by focusing on moving runners over and taking pitches to give Pods steal opportunities.  He's very good at that, but he doesn't get to flash his extra-base power very much in that capacity.

The key is, where to get that "speedy 2 hole hitter"?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 06:09 AM)

And that's exactly what will happen. Hitting behind Pods his job was to hit the other way and move the runner along. Putting him at 5 or 6 in the order will let him swing away and show the power that he has. He basically handcuffed himself at the plate this past season for the sake of the "get em on, get em over, get em in" philosophy.

Gooch isnt going anywhere.

Are you serious? Ozzie said over and over how Iguchi was his MVP...

Sorry I don't give a s*** how sexy their hits were in the playoffs... Offensively Uribe and Crede are the two most replacable infielders... Especially Uribe since I have no reason to believe he'll come close to his 2004 numbers and will play more like it's 2005...

SS is where we need to upgrade... Iguchi is fine... Iguchi exceeded our expectations... Jeez I can't believe how many want to trade our more consistant guys from last year and keep the sleeping ones...

Sorry I don't give a s*** how sexy their hits were in the playoffs... Offensively Uribe and Crede are the two most replacable infielders... Especially Uribe since I have no reason to believe he'll come close to his 2004 numbers and will play more like it's 2005...

SS is where we need to upgrade... Iguchi is fine... Iguchi exceeded our expectations... Jeez I can't believe how many want to trade our more consistant guys from last year and keep the sleeping ones...

Oh my God, they are in no way shape or form gonna touch the SS position. They feel Uribe is just starting to realize his potential.

Consistent? How about Uribe's defense.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 07:58 AM)
The key is, where to get that "speedy 2 hole hitter"?

Is it possible that Ozzie won't necessarily get everythign he ever asked for this christmas? I think it's absolutely impossible that KW would grab Thome for Rowand without clearing it with Ozzie.

Iguchi and Uribe will not be going anywhere next year. Uribe will probably win a gold glove next year now that his growing pains at short are out of the way and he's been playoff-showcased. Iguchi will probably only get better now that he's seen US Pitching for a year.

Right now, we are very strong up the middle, and that wins us games.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
Oh my God, they are in no way shape or form gonna touch the SS position.  They feel Uribe is just starting to realize his potential.

Consistent?  How about Uribe's defense.

Ya, aside from the perennial MVP candidates at SS, there aren't many guys I'd rather have at SS than Juan. I still remember a few people whining and crying that we gave up Aaron Miles.

Uribe is developing into a potential STUD of a SS. He's already a good one and a great defensive one (could a GG be in his future...I say YES).

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 07:59 AM)

I wouldn't call Iguchi Solid. At least on D he's not. He's bad going back on Popups. With the bat i think we could expect more this comming season, him being acustom in the States. That said keep him where he is. Harris fills in nicely

QUOTE(Adam G @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
And that's exactly what will happen.  Hitting behind Pods his job was to hit the other way and move the runner along.  Putting him at 5 or 6 in the order will let him swing away and show the power that he has.  He basically handcuffed himself at the plate this past season for the sake of the "get em on, get em over, get em in" philosophy.

Gooch isnt going anywhere.

Who hits #2 then?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 07:03 AM)
Uribe is developing into a potential STUD of a SS.  He's already a good one and a great defensive one (could a GG be in his future...I say YES).

IIRC, a year or so ago, I remember you said he had Miggy Tejada like potential.

Now I don't know if we'll ever see this, because his swing changes so much and it ain't consistent, but if we can just get it to a stage where it just keeps getting a little better and better, and he can get that average up to the .280 mark and still be able hit those 20HR's, he's a very VALUABLE player with his defense.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)
Who hits #2 then?

I'm guessing right now, if a move was going to be made, from this current lineup, it could only be Juan Uribe who could hit there, since he's done it sucessfully before. And besides the bunts etc., if you look at Iguchi's K's and Uribe K's from 2005 and 2004 when they both hit in the #2 hole, there's not really much of a difference (114 for Iguchi and 96 for Uribe). Tad had a +.16 in OBP though.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 07:17 PM)

And the viable options to replace Uribe or Crede are.....? And no Furcal and his $10 mill contract doesn't count.

I said I wasn't looking to trade Iguchi. But IMO, he'd be moved before both Juan and Joe. Yes, he exceeded our expectations. but if the sox could improve in the #2 hole from what Tad did and get better defense, then it could happen. Maybe not likely, but possible

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
I'm guessing right now, if a move was going to be made, from this current lineup, it could only be Juan Uribe who could hit there, since he's done it sucessfully before. And besides the bunts etc., if you look at Iguchi's K's and Uribe K's from 2005 and 2004 when they both hit in the #2 hole, there's not really much of a difference (114 for Iguchi and 96 for Uribe). Tad had a +.16 in OBP though.

Uribe did show a lot better patience the last month and in the playoffs after working w/ Walker on that little timing "kick".