Could Iguchi be moved?

beck72

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
Is it possible that Ozzie won't necessarily get everythign he ever asked for this christmas?  I think it's absolutely impossible that KW would grab Thome for Rowand without clearing it with Ozzie.

If that's one of the only presents Ozzie's asking for [which the list of needs isn't long at all] sure.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 09:34 PM)
Uribe did show a lot better patience the last month and in the playoffs after working w/ Walker on that little timing "kick".

Yeah I actually suggested moving Uribe to the #2 hole late in the season when he was running hot, to help improve things a little offensively.

I think, if he continue practicising with that leg kick, and continue on with the form he showed with the bat in the 2nd half of the season, he could still hit in the #2 hole, if that's the course of action the Sox decided to take with moving Gooch down the order. But remember, Uribe is a terrible basestealer, which is not going to be a plus for Ozzie.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
Yeah I actually suggested moving Uribe to the #2 hole late in the season when he was running hot, to help improve things a little offensively.

I think, if he continue practicising with that leg kick, and continue on with the form he showed with the bat in the 2nd half of the season, he could still hit in the #2 hole, if that's the course of action the Sox decided to take with moving Gooch down the order. But remember, Uribe is a terrible basestealer, which is not going to be a plus for Ozzie.

I can see Uribe there as a decent backup in case the #2 hitter got hurt. But you're right, his baserunning isn't a plus

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 02:28 AM)
IIRC, a year or so ago, I remember you said he had Miggy Tejada like potential.

Now I don't know if we'll ever see this, because his swing changes so much and it ain't consistent, but if we can just get it to a stage where it just keeps getting a little better and better, and he can get that average up to the .280 mark and still be able hit those 20HR's, he's a very VALUABLE player with his defense.

I still think thats his upside, but I don't know if he'll ever learn to stay back enough on balls. The leg kick definately helped him though.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 10:56 PM)
I wouldn't call Iguchi Solid. At least on D he's not. He's bad going back on Popups. With the bat i think we could expect more this comming season, him being acustom in the States. That said keep him where he is. Harris fills in nicely

And there probably isn't a 2nd baseman who turns the double play better then Tad. He's a very solid 2nd baseman.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 24, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
Before things start flying around, I'm not advocating a deal. Yet with Ozzie's stated desire to add speed and a new #2 hitter, few position players could be moved with viable replacements. Pierre could be an option for CF and to hit #2. But that seems off the board. Anderson should be able to fill Arows role--good defense and some pop down in the lineup. So stick with the kid there. In order to pay big salaries elsewhere, the sox need to add in rookies. Pods and Dye are set, so the OF isn't an option

The IF is the only realistic spot to add. Crede and Uribe came up big, esp in the playoffs. While both of their OBP's are bad, they have pop and gloves hard to match by any other options, via trade [of names mentioned who could be available--free agency probably isn't an option now w/ Thome added].

That leaves 2b. Could Iguchi's defense and offense be replaced? I don't know. Right now, only Luis Castillo comes to mind as a #2 hitter who seems to fit Ozzie's wishes and is rumored to be on the block [don't discount the added benefit of having another guy who could hit leadoff--Thome and PK need guys on base to drive in]

If he's not hitting #2, he'd be another RH hitter with some pop hitting between 6th-9th. The sox already have Anderson, Uribe and Crede as similar types [though anderson does project to have a higher OBP]. Anderson will K a lot. Though Rowand K'd over 100 times. Tad K'd 114 times.

More than likely, the sox stick with Iguchi as the #2 hitter. Still, it was Ozzie who convinced KW to change the style of play. And we all know Ozzie has said he wants more speed and a #2 hitter for 2006.....

Thoughts?

Iguchi may get moved, but it's only to another spot in the batting order. You don't trade the guy Ozzie calls the Sox MVP.

Plus if you look at some of these trades brought up by other posters we are going to have 25 firstbasemen on the roster so you need a guy that can actually play another position other than firstbase. :P

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
And there probably isn't a 2nd baseman who turns the double play better then Tad.  He's a very solid 2nd baseman.

So, is Mark Bellhorn a Solid Second baseman?

Cause all i've read and heard is that he's one of the best at pivoting around the bag and stays in there as the runner is baring down on him. Iguchi ain't bad, but he has his flaws in the field. I still like him as a player, I think a move down in the order and his numbers go up