What to do with Duque...

Wanne

The big four did not miss a start last year. Only 6 different pitchers started a game. On the other end of the scale the Yankees used 14 different starters.

The White Sox had 4 different guys go over 200 innings, this is an anomoly and you can't just assume it will happen again. Cleveland had 2, LAA 3, NYY 1.

MB could step in a hole shagging flies again or somebody could get a sore arm or blister.

In a 'normal' year there are plenty of innings for 6 guys. I would keep tem all and keep an eye peeled for more. If the big 4 make it through ST, let BMac and Dukie compete with the loser hanging around in case something happens.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 07:42 AM)
Good call. He'd have more value if he's a] healthy and b] another team has an injury.

I don't think El' will be traded. I think El' & Jose are linked together. In many ways El' is Jose pitching coach. He'll be fine as a sport starter and long relief guy.

$4.5 Million is a lot for a long-reliever, but with the Sox financial situation, unless they get a great offer, I think they will keep him. The Sox rotation will be one of the best in the Bigs next year and when you add El Duque in the pen with the others, the pitching staff will easily be one of the best from top to bottom (please trade Marte).

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(indyman @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
I don't think El' will be traded.  I think El' & Jose are linked together.  In many ways El' is Jose pitching coach.    He'll be fine as a sport starter and long relief guy.

If El Duque says he wants to start, which we heard rumblings this yr that he wasn't happy about possibly being left of the playoff roster, then he may want to be traded. There's a difference if the sox unload him, and EL Duque is bitter about the trade. Then it could affect Jose's attitude. If it's El Duque's call, then bye bye.

One other thing I found:

Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez: signed 2-year worth 8M thru 2006 on 12/22/04- he will make 3.5M in 2005 and at least 4.5M in 2006- + he can earn 1.5M in bonuses in 2005 based on innings pitched: $187,500 for 100IP then $187,500 more per every remaining increment of 10 innings- + a 1/3 of the total amount of whatever amount of the 1.5M in incentives he earns in 2005 is added to his 2006 salary- + he can earn 2M in bonuses in 2006, making the total value of the deal with all incentives earned, 12M Agent: Greg Genske Service Time: 6.117

Not sure what this all adds up to...

DeForrestKelley_gross.jpg

"Dammit Jim I'm a doctor....not a mathematician!"

And also...

Damaso Marte: signed 3-Year worth 4.5M on 3/2/04- + he receives salaries of 500K in 2004, 1.25M in 2005, 2.25M in 2006- + deal includes 2007 and 2008 Team options, both worth 3M or 250K buyouts- + he can earn 500K in bonuses in each year of deal- + the deal includes 500K in salary escalators per year based on GF Agent: Martin Arburua Service Time: 3.122

$2.25M for Marte in '06?!?....OUCH!!!

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
2.25 mill is a bargain for Marte.  Lets not forget Marte is still better than Scott Eyre and most other lefties in the biz.  Sure he had a rough season, but he was still solid and he's signed to a very affordable deal.

Yeah...if he regains his confidence and doesn't come in and immediately walk the first two batters he faces. If he could be used in a package...I wouldn't cry losing him. I think he cost me 2 remotes last year when he'd come in!

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 08:29 PM)
Yeah...if he regains his confidence and doesn't come in and immediately walk the first two batters he faces.  If he could be used in a package...I wouldn't cry losing him.  I think he cost me 2 remotes last year when he'd come in!

i'd imagine that some clutch pitching in the 13th and 14th innings of a world series game could do wonders for his confidence. Marte, who i had declared upon his entry in the game that he would get the (L), was REALLY impressive in that game and showed some balls. I think he's going to get back on track next season. With that said, if there's a deal out there for an impact player I'd deem Marte expendable and just go with 1 lhp, Cotts, in the 2006 Sox pen.

The Nationals could use more/better SP and they have a ton of OFs (CF especially).

Make one of those "benefits both teams" trades and send El Duque and mid-tier prospect to the Nationals for Brad Wilkerson and put him in the #2 slot and in CF.

Edited by kdhargo

QUOTE(Wanne @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
Yeah...if he regains his confidence and doesn't come in and immediately walk the first two batters he faces.  If he could be used in a package...I wouldn't cry losing him.  I think he cost me 2 remotes last year when he'd come in!

LOL!

I agree that we better hold onto Marte and Duque. Hermy is questionable and you never know what can happen. Even though I don't have much confidence in this happening, I am expecting a comeback year for Marte.

Edited by Sox Hustler

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
i'd imagine that some clutch pitching in the 13th and 14th innings of a world series game could do wonders for his confidence.  Marte, who i had declared upon his entry in the game that he would get the (L), was REALLY impressive in that game and showed some balls.  I think he's going to get back on track next season.  With that said, if there's a deal out there for an impact player I'd deem Marte expendable and just go with 1 lhp, Cotts, in the 2006 Sox pen.

I still don't think Marte's problem last year was one of confidence...I think it was one of mechanics.

When Damaso Marte gets his delivery right...he has a very long follow through...and it helps him spot almost all of his pitches.

When you see him start to short arm his delivery, he tends to lose both control of his pitches and velocity on his fastball.

I think he tends to start changing his delivery when his arm starts to hurt, as we know was happening to him last year. But even last year, the times he'd come out and follow through, he'd throw strikes and still be unhittable.

It's some combination of mechanics and injuries that have given him problems, IMO. Yeah, he probably lost confidence at some point, but he lost confidence because his delivery screwed up.