Mariucci Gone?

Brian

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
It won't affect me if he's there or not, I'm a Colts fan.  However, I feel Millen's the problem, not Harrington or Mariucci.

They spent a first round pick on a wide receiver 3 years in a row. That just has to say something.

Apparently all three receivers have work ethic issues. We know abotu Rogers problems. Mike Williams' problems have been a bit of a surprise. I don't know if there are any issues with Roy Williams beyond health but when Scottie Vines is your best receiver and you have three talented guys like this, the players killed the coach here. ROgers won't be there for long, we'll see about Joey Harrington. Perhaps the Lions didn't do a goo enough job scouting personalities with the makeup of their team. They tried to become the NFC Colts and it flopped. They need to find out whats wrong with Kevin Jones and the running game and recommit to being a running team, which Detroit has had a tradition of. They also need to start drafting help for Shaun Rogers and Dre Bly on defense. Boss Bailey looks good, but Fernando Bryant failed there. If they can get Joey Harrington on track, and they probably could do so with a better running attack, they aren't THAT far away from being a decent team with the right moves

In another one of them team-building moves, Cornerback Dre Bly is blaming the QB's for Mariucci's firing.

Cornerback Dre' Bly and quarterback Jeff Garcia both thought the blame for the team's poor record shouldn't have rested on the now ex-coach.

"If we'd had production on offense, in particular the quarterback position, Mooch wouldn't have been fired," Bly told the Detroit Free Press. "If Jeff Garcia hadn't gotten hurt, we wouldn't be in this position today. Mooch wouldn't have gotten fired."

Garcia missed the first five games after breaking his leg in the final preseason game. He started twice -- winning in Cleveland and losing to Chicago -- but then missed the Minnesota, Arizona and Dallas games with soreness in the leg.

"We're all at fault, but I just feel like Joey [Harrington]'s been here four years, and being the No. 3 pick in the draft, he hasn't given us anything," Bly told the paper. "He hasn't given us what the third pick in the draft should give us."

Garcia, who played for Mariucci in San Francisco, pointed to the Lions front office.

"You start to question whether the organization has the people in place who can go about making the proper selections," Garcia told WXYT-AM, according to the paper. "You really have to question that."