Mike Sweeney

striker

I've said this around 100 times. Sweeney is the worst possible fit for the Sox.

1.) He'd make $12.5M a year with the Sox, you could resign Konerko for not much more.

2.) He can't stay healty anymore. He can not be counted on to play a full season and the Sox have very minimal backup plans for 1B.

3.) He can't really play 1B anymore either, he's a defensive liability and is pretty much a full time DH at this point in his career. I really don't want to see Thome starting at 1B for the Sox next year.

EDIT: Not to mention the fact that KC would never trade him to the Sox anyway. They turned down a Kothchman for Sweeney trade at the deadline last year, the Sox really couldn't match that offer anyway.

Edited by Kalapse

Mike Sweeney seems like he is always "Available" in the sense that his name is up in trade talks every single year. No one ever acquires him, despite the fact that teams coudl really really use him (Think: The Angels as a DH Last year, for example).

Either KC isn't really willing to trade him, or KC is asking way the heck too much given his health and contract status.

As a team in KC's division, and given that we just traded some of our best ML pitching, I don't think Sweeney sounds like a very good option

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
Well once they sign Furcal, they are going to be a force within the division....

:lol:

:ph34r:

Anaheim may finally pull him this off-season if they lose out on Manny (I think they have to be the front-runners). So if they lose out on Manny and Paulie...than Sweeney would be there guy.

I don't see the Mets in the Ramirez sweepstakes now that they have Delgado and have moved Cameron. Plus the Mets are gonna land Wagner and still need to find another reliever, imo.

To be honest, the only sleeper I could see in the Manny Ramirez deal is the LA Dodgers. Manny will not play anywhere other than the LA area (I'd say 70% that its Anaheim, 29% that its LA, 1% other).

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 07:47 PM)
What about getting Mark Sweeney from the Padres, I belive he is a FA.  He is mostly a 1B, but also has experiense at RF and LF, and about 4 innings in CF.  I think he would be a good option off the bench. What do you think?

yeah, but can he hit 14 inning home runs ?

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
What about getting Mark Sweeney from the Padres, I belive he is a FA.  He is mostly a 1B, but also has experiense at RF and LF, and about 4 innings in CF.  I think he would be a good option off the bench. What do you think?

Why would the Pads unload a bench player like Sweeney who consistently puts up a 800+OPS?

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
You may as well keep Gload if you just want a backup first baseman.

Mark Sweeney may be 36 but he has proven that he can be a very good OBP guy off the bench for a team and play a few different positions. He's a very good bench player.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 07:55 PM)
well he is a FA, i wouldnt see any other reason for the Padres not to keep him.  he is cheap, and a good bat off then bench

i know i was just kidding around...

i agree...and it was a point that turned this thread into something much more interesting.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
Has anyone heard if Mike Sweeney is available? He could be an option to replace Konerko if Konerko signs elsewhere.

Schuler almost traded for him once. I think the deal was in place and it fell off. That was when he was a stuggling Catcher

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
Mark Sweeney may be 36 but he has proven that he can be a very good OBP guy off the bench for a team and play a few different positions. He's a very good bench player.

MikeSweeney is only 32 Years old :D

http://www.baseballreference.com/s/sweenmi01.shtml

Mark of the Padres is 36

Edited by JoshPR