Blue Jays get Ryan

CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 12:58 AM)
Umm -- who cares about the saves.

12.50 Ks/9 the last two years.  He's really good, no doubt, but just not this good.

I would care about saves if that is what I am paying him to do. Carlos Lee had double digit steals for the White Sox one year, yet I would never consider him an established base stealer. By the same logic, I would not consider Ryan an established closer after ONE GOOD SEASON. Ryan was good in that one season.

I would care about saves if that is what I am paying him to do.  Carlos Lee had double digit steals for the White Sox one year, yet I would never consider him an established base stealer.  By the same logic, I would not consider Ryan an established closer after ONE GOOD SEASON.  Ryan was good in that one season.

Paying for saves is not very smart. Billy Koch is a perfect example. We traded for him because he had a ton of saves. Also, does a healthy Hermanson have a ton of trade value because he had 34 saves last season? He shouldn't. He doesn't strike anyone out and many of his saves were shaky and helped by great defense. You are better off going by a closer's peripherals such as K/9, BB/9, and all-around stuff.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
Paying for saves is not very smart.  Billy Koch is a perfect example.  We traded for him because he had a ton of saves.  Also, does a healthy Hermanson have a ton of trade value because he had 34 saves last season?  He shouldn't.  He doesn't strike anyone out and many of his saves were shaky and helped by great defense.  You are better off going by a closer's peripherals such as K/9, BB/9, and all-around stuff.

I would agree that you are better off looking at K/BB. But I would say you are better off not paying an outrageous amount of money for it too. If Ryan turns into Billy Koch, they are stuck with him for 4 years. Not to mention the Jays must have shot there wad. With the money left over, do they have enough money to sign Jose Hernandez.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 06:48 AM)
I don't see how he can add any relievers when we already have El Duque making $4.5 million next season.

Thats why I'd like to move El Duque for a solid reliever who could both start and relieve. I realize Duque coudl do that but I think you could find a cheaper option.

Thats why I'd like to move El Duque for a solid reliever who could both start and relieve. I realize Duque coudl do that but I think you could find a cheaper option.

I agree but it will probably be tough to trade a 40 year old pitcher who has major injury issues, a $4.5 million contract, and a 5.12 ERA.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
Market = f***ed

I wonder if Wagner sent him a gift-basket.

No s***, Wagner just made himself a ton of money by doing nothing. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get something like $11mil per year, which is obviously insane.

This deal is eerily reminscent of Kris Benson screwing up the value of SP, only this time it wasn't the Mets messing everything up, which is a surprise as well.