Deadline for Konerko

CWSGuy406

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

"One way or another, we need closure by the [end of the] winter meetings," Sox general manager Ken Williams said in reference to Dec. 8.

Williams also said Konerko should not have been surprised by the acquisition of Thome, who could bat cleanup behind Konerko.

"I told Paulie before we left Chicago not only what I wanted to do but who it was," Williams said. "So this did not come as a shock to him."

"He [Thome] could get out there right now," Williams said. "He will be 100 percent by spring training and there will be no residual effects."

The same may not be true of third baseman Joe Crede, who is battling a chronic lower back problem that has Williams searching for such help as Boston free agent Bill Mueller.

"There's one school of thought [Crede] will be OK and another we have to get some insurance," Williams said. "It's still early in the off-season."

It is, but Williams, whose payroll without Konerko back already is as big as last season's, intimated he might only tinker with the roster if Konerko returns. He said Brian Anderson or young speedster Jerry Owens would take Rowand's spot in center.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
Two things jump out at me.

1. The Sox seem to making more of an issue about Joe's back then we are all. I think its alot more serious than most think....

2. I have seen no direct quotes from KW himself saying anything about Anderson and Owens starting in CF. If anyone can find quotes, wonderful, I wont give it any more thought, but it just seems odd that there is no quotes, nor have I seen any, to back up what people are saying about the Sox wanting Anderson to start,,,,

Good inferences Tony

2. I have seen no direct quotes from KW himself saying anything about Anderson and Owens starting in CF. If anyone can find quotes, wonderful, I wont give it any more thought, but it just seems odd that there is no quotes, nor have I seen any, to back up what people are saying about the Sox wanting Anderson to start,,,,

It is, but Williams, whose payroll without Konerko back already is as big as last season's, intimated he might only tinker with the roster if Konerko returns. He said Brian Anderson or young speedster Jerry Owens would take Rowand's spot in center.

It's not a direct quote from Kenny but Dave van Dyck is saying that Kenny said those guys would be the two options for center field.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 06:52 AM)
Adding Jim Thome and Bill Mueller would be a massive improvement to our team OBP.

But leaves us well short in the power department, assuming Thome matches Konerko's 40 of last year. We'd still be well short of matching Everett's/Thomas' 35 (or around there), as Mueller would only knock out ten.

That's why it's hard for me to think Mueller is coming here. He's not coming here as a backup (I don't think). And you're losing a lot of power if he's your everyday firstbaseman.

IMO, they're still one power bat short of where they need to be.

But leaves us well short in the power department, assuming Thome matches Konerko's 40 of last year.  We'd still be well short of matching Everett's/Thomas' 35 (or around there), as Mueller would only knock out ten.

That's why it's hard for me to think Mueller is coming here.  He's not coming here as a backup (I don't think).  And you're losing a lot of power if he's your everyday firstbaseman.

IMO, they're still one power bat short of where they need to be.

I disagree, as long as we re-sign Konerko.

Podsednik: 0 HR

Iguchi: 15 HR

Thome: 40 HR

Konerko: 40 HR

Mueller: 10 HR

Dye: 31 HR

Pierzynski: 18 HR

Anderson: 15 HR

Uribe: 16 HR

That would be 185 homeruns with much improved OBP in the lineup.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 06:07 PM)
I disagree, as long as we re-sign Konerko.

Podsednik:  0 HR

Iguchi:  15 HR

Thome:  40 HR

Konerko:  40 HR

Mueller:  10 HR

Dye:  31 HR

Pierzynski:  18 HR

Anderson:  15 HR

Uribe:  16 HR

That would be 185 homeruns with much improved OBP in the lineup.

Why would Bill Mueller bat 5th in that lineup?

Where's Crede in your lineup?

When Williams said "insurance", I assumed he meant a guy who could step in if needed, but not someone who's going to take Joe's spot if he's healthy. Mueller could probably grab a starting spot in several other places -- I highly doubt he's coming here as a backup.

Why would Bill Mueller bat 5th in that lineup?

Because I doubt Ozzie would bat him second since he has no speed, although I do think he would make a decent #2 hitter because of his high OBP. I also think Ozzie would bat Mueller around there to split up the lefties and righties:

Podsednik (lefty)

Iguchi (righty)

Thome (lefty)

Konerko (righty)

Mueller (switch, but better from left side)

Dye (righty)

Pierzynski (lefty)

Anderson (righty)

Uribe (righty)

I'd rather have Dye batting fifth.

Where's Crede in your lineup?

When Williams said "insurance", I assumed he meant a guy who could step in if needed, but not someone who's going to take Joe's spot if he's healthy.  Mueller could probably grab a starting spot in several other places -- I highly doubt he's coming here as a backup.

I agree with you. I was just speaking hypothetically, as in, if Crede was on the DL.

Edited by SSH2005

if the sox are really concern with joe's back (boras is the agent and arbitration), then why not go and sign rafael furcal.

earlier his agent said that rafael would not mind playing ss, 2b 3b or even of. he wants to play for a good team.

Because Furcal will cost $10 million a year and we would rather have Konerko back so Thome could DH.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
We won't be able to afford both Konerko and Furcal.  That would be around $23 million of salary added to our payroll per year.

what would it be worth if the sox do manage to go to the playoff, just money spent at the right position and the right players.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
We dumped quite a bit of money in Frank ($8 million), Everett ($4 million), and Rowand ($2 million) who was due $3.25 million next season.

yeah, but that would mean we should be under our amount before Kong...i can't believe we are already at the same amt. as last year