Cubs Still not learning

AnthraxFan93

James Renwick - Scout.com

November 26, 2005 at 4:10am ET

What moves are necessary? The bullpen seems to have been shored up, the rotation is...well, what the rotation is going to be. Center field? Right? How about shortstop. ITI gives you the latest gossip from the GMs, and they might just put the Cubs infield among the elite in the history of the game. AS THE FREE PREVIEW WEEKEND CONTINUES ITI gives you the good stuff.

If you felt a little warmer Friday, that's because the Hot Stove came to town, in a big big way.

ITI has learned from a source close to the Cubs that free agent shortstop Raphael Furcal and the Cubs have all but finalized a deal that will bring the shortstop to Chicago for the next five years, with a mutual option for a sixth year. The source told ITI that the deal could pay Furcal as much as $100 million including the sixth year and "significant performance bonuses" that included winning a batting title, the stolen base title, and a bonus if he plays in 150 games for each of the first three years of his contract.

The news that Furcal was coming to the North Side would have easily been enough, but our source also had one more juicy bit of info.

The Cubs might make one more deal that could give them arguably the greatest infield in the history of baseball.

The rumor goes that the Cubs are close to finalizing a seven player deal with the Texas Rangers that would bring Alfonso Soriano and Kevin Mench to the Cubs in exchange for Jerome Williams , Todd Walker , and three minor leaguers, one of whom is believed to be right hander David Aardsma , and another shortstop Ronny Cedeno . According to our source the two clubs have agreed on which players would be dealt, but what is holding it up is exactly what kind of deal Soriano will want in Chicago.

He would likely command a deal similar to Furcal's, and while his addition would solidify the infield, and first four spots in the batting order, there are questions about whether or not the Cubs would be willing to shell out a pair of $100 deals in two weeks to two players.

Still, if Jim Hendry were to pull this off, the Cubs would, once again, become the favorite to win the NL Central, and probably the World Series. With the addition of Bobby Howry and Scott Eyre , the bullpen appears to be shored up, and if the Cubs were able to sign Furcal and land Soriano, suddenly Felix Pie, even rushed, in center field doesn't look so bad, since he would likely be hitting eighth, with little to no pressure to produce.

The Cubs lineup, even with Pie and fellow youngster Matt Murton in it, would almost certainly be one of the most feared in the NL. Furcal, Soriano, Derrek Lee , Aramis Ramirez , Mench, Murton, Barrett and Pie.

Be afraid, be very afraid. The only obvious weakness would appear to be the lack of a left handed bat in the middle of the order, but a quality, older, cheaper, left handed hitting corner outfielder could provide that at least some of the time, and it might not matter. Yes, the starting pitching will remain in question as long as perennially injured Kerry Wood is still penciled into the rotation, and the trading of Williams would nix one of the top options for temp duty during Wood's inevitable time on the shelf, but the opportunity to assemble a lineup like this comes rarely (unless you're the Yankees).

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ITI knows jack. I'd ignore this, until you hear it reported elsewhere.

100 million, LOL. Maybe if its 6 yr deal with 3 option years that would make it a 9 year deal. There is zero way to spin a 6 year deal as being worth 100 mill when your name is Rafael Furcal.

Also, call me crazy, but that proposed Rangers deal doesn't make enough sense. I'd have to see a couple better prospects involved, but that deal may have some life.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)
I hope they meant offensively, but even so... D Lee is a great glove, and Furcal is very good, but Soriano and Rameriz don't qualify this claim.

I think they may mean fantasy wise, which is where all Cubs fans live.

This would be the perfect Cubs moves, bring in a bunch of names that will get all the frat houses riled up with excitement, forgetting that they finished 4th in the division last year, and still leave major question marks in their starting rotation.

Id think Rich Hill and Angel Guzman would have to be part of the deal for the Rangers to consider it and I dont know why they would want Walker or Cedeno unless they plan to trade them right away for more pitching prospects.

But if the Cubs can do that I think they will be a very good team.... maybe even better than us.

QUOTE(timotime @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
how can you fear this team? watch, i guarentee that the cards will continue to dominate the NL central. the cubs arent going anywhere!

Don't forget about Houston.. Also Milwaukee has improved the last few years.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 02:45 AM)
Id think Rich Hill and Angel Guzman would have to be part of the deal for the Rangers to consider it and I dont know why they would want Walker or Cedeno unless they plan to trade them right away for more pitching prospects.

But if the Cubs can do that I think they will be a very good team.... maybe even better than us.

seriously...that would be a crazy lineup...

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)

lol! Aren't you the guy who had Pie in his sig?

QUOTE($I Need Money$ @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 10:38 PM)
what will we do if this is true? f***!

Look at our 2005 world series rings and not care?

Seriously, a.) this won't happen, and b.) it wouldn't make a difference, and the Cubs would still miss the playoffs.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)

here is my question. Can Rafael Furcal pitch? Can he play Center Field? He won't help them that much if they don't do something about those Question marks.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)
here is my question.  Can Rafael Furcal pitch?  Can he play Center Field?  He won't help them that much if they don't do something about those Question marks.

I understand the reasoning of your question, but with the arm he has i wouldn't be surprised if he could pitch.