Cubs Still not learning

AnthraxFan93

Im pretty curious about what the cubs will do if Furcal remains with the Braves or signs with the Dodgers. I am thinking it has to be a trade in the works. Maybe the Walker/Murton/Cedeno for Soriano/Mench is still in the works, but they still leave themselves without a proven shortstop. Veddy Veddy Eentedesting.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will go after Luis Castillo and Juan Peierre and then try and sign Lugo or Florida's Alex Gonzalez. It will take a good six months for their fans to learn it is a different Gonzalez than the one that cost them the playoffs, if they even remember the guys name.

Why they don't go after Preston Wilson is beyond me he and Cedano make more sense then Furcal. I really think Hendry works like fantasy baseball, get the biggest names to keep your team in the spotlight.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
They will go after Luis Castillo and Juan Peierre and then try and sign Lugo or Florida's Alex Gonzalez.  It will take a good six months for their fans to learn it is a different Gonzalez than the one that cost them the playoffs, if they even remember the guys name.

Why they don't go after Preston Wilson is beyond me he and Cedano make more sense then Furcal.  I really think Hendry works like fantasy baseball, get the biggest names to keep your team in the spotlight.

And then who leadsoff?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)
And then who leadsoff?

If I was them, I would go heavy after Pierre and if not him throw the 10M/yr after Damon and hope for the best. They have a hole in right (and possibly left if Murton is no great shakes, and center if the are relying on Patterson) bigger than short.

Cedano, Walker and Perez are more solid than all three outfield positions. Having three hitters (Furcal, Ramirez, Lee) is great but the outfield could be a disaster.

I think they are going after Furcal to go after not because he is a great need. Same thing with the Angels and Konerko. The Dodgers are in the bidding to keep their name out there in the public not because they are serious about acquiring him.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
They will go after Luis Castillo and Juan Peierre and then try and sign Lugo or Florida's Alex Gonzalez.  It will take a good six months for their fans to learn it is a different Gonzalez than the one that cost them the playoffs, if they even remember the guys name.

Why they don't go after Preston Wilson is beyond me he and Cedano make more sense then Furcal.  I really think Hendry works like fantasy baseball, get the biggest names to keep your team in the spotlight.

I love asking Cubs fans what cost them a World Series appearance in 2003. The compulsive "f***ing Steve Bartman!" answer is always worth a chuckle. Then when you say "No, it was Alex Gonzalez, Dusty Baker, and Mark Priors fault" they get all defensive. I love it.

If Furcal doesn't sign with the Cubs either Boras or the Marlins have them over a barrel.

Cubs need a leadoff hitter, they have zero chance to win that division or a WC next year without a proven one (i know, they still need an OF or two and a SP, but they have to start somewhere).

I think Furcal and his agent did backflips when the Dodgers took a public interest, I still think he signs with the Cubs, but it's going to be for a good chunk of $$$

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
I love asking Cubs fans what cost them a World Series appearance in 2003. The compulsive "f***ing Steve Bartman!" answer is always worth a chuckle. Then when you say "No, it was Alex Gonzalez, Dusty Baker, and Mark Priors fault" they get all defensive. I love it.

no it was just that the Marlins were a better team than the Cubs. They were the best team in baseball that season. BTW this is exactly why i say you sign Burnitz. Won't cost much and will put up nice power numbers. Plus from everything i have heard he is a nice guy who is good in the clubhouse. What that lets you do is focus more on the holes you need to fill. For example: You sign Burnitz right away and than it will let you focus on trading for a guy like Juan Pierre or signing a guy like Lofton who has showed that he can still play 140 games a year. Or try to sign Furcal for less before the price gets up there. This is not about how good Burnitz is but about how they have many more serious holes. Edited by White Sox Josh

If they can they should sign Lofton and Furcal.... than if that trade is actually available to the Rangers do it. Id include Angel Guzman in it if it was neccesary.....

Lofton

Furcal

Dlee

Ramirez

Soriano

Mench

Barrett

Murton

SP

thats a great lineup... they could also trade for Pierre too but both work really. And while Im not a big fan of Eyre I think Howry is a great RP so they have a nice 8th/9th inning combo with Dempster. And while Wood is crap Prior/Zambrano are both legit aces and Maddux still pretty decent.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
If they can they should sign Lofton and Furcal.... than if that trade is actually available to the Rangers do it.  Id include Angel Guzman in it if it was neccesary.....

Lofton

Furcal

Dlee

Ramirez

Soriano

Mench

Barrett

Murton

SP

thats a great lineup... they could also trade for Pierre too but both work really.  And while Im not a big fan of Eyre I think Howry is a great RP so they have a nice 8th/9th inning combo with Dempster. And while Wood is crap Prior/Zambrano are both legit aces and Maddux still pretty decent.

Neither are are aces. Right now Maddux is their best pitcher on that staff.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:29 AM)
^

who led the Cubs in innings?

Last year he led the Cubs in wins?

He also started the most games for the cubs?

He doesn't let his emotions get the best of him?

If i had game 7 of the world series and i could pick anyone of those pitchers it would be Maddux. Also what has Prior done besides 2003? He is living off the hype. His ERA was very high for an NL ACE. He also had that habit of throwing 100 pitches in 5 innings which meant he couldn't go deep into games.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
who led the Cubs in innings?

Last year he led the Cubs in wins?

He also started the most games for the cubs?

He doesn't let his emotions get the best of him?

If i had game 7 of the world series and i could pick anyone of those pitchers it would be Maddux.  Also what has Prior done besides 2003?  He is living off the hype.  His ERA was very high for an NL ACE.  He also had that habit of throwing 100 pitches in 5 innings which meant he couldn't go deep into games.

Lets see..Maddux outpitched Zambrano by a whole 2 innings and Zambrano's era was around a whole run lower. Um..ya.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 06:35 AM)
please put down the bong right now.  The question is if they could be our number 5's?  None of those pitchers won 15 games this season.

Half the time I dont know why i respond to your posts anymore.....

Ok if wins matter so much than Garland is our best pitcher right? And Garland is better than Santana since he had 2 more wins... how about Clemens he must totally suck right he didnt get 15 wins.

Zambrano is a stud...plain and simple and is under-rated and under-apreciated.... Although I hate when he grabs his balls all the time.

Prior has had some injury problems lately but he works out a lot... our very own B-Mac has credited Prior for helping him some I think. And he has perfect mechanics so I think unlike Wood it has been more of a fluke than a trend. And when he has been healthy he has showed he is the real deal. Hell last season was an injury riddled one and he still performed pretty well.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 06:44 AM)
i meant 2004.  I should've wrote that.  Anybody who thinks Prior or Zambrano could be anything more than a #5 starter on this team right now is delusional.

WOW! I'd gladly exchange Prior or Zambrano for Garcia or McCarthy in a heartbeat. I'd also be willing to bet that those two will have a better season than Contreras this year also.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:44 AM)
i meant 2004.  I should've wrote that.  Anybody who thinks Prior or Zambrano could be anything more than a #5 starter on this team right now is delusional.

If we're going back to 04 then Zambrano's era was well over a run lower then Maddux's.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)
Half the time I dont know why i respond to your posts anymore.....

Ok if wins matter so much than Garland is our best pitcher right?  And Garland is better than Santana since he had 2 more wins... how about Clemens he must totally suck right he didnt get 15 wins.

Zambrano is a stud...plain and simple and is under-rated and under-apreciated.... Although I hate when he grabs his balls all the time.

Prior has had some injury problems lately but he works out a lot... our very own B-Mac has credited Prior for helping him some I think.  And he has perfect mechanics so I think unlike Wood it has been more of a fluke than a trend.  And when he has been healthy he has showed he is the real deal.  Hell last season was an injury riddled one and he still performed pretty well.

Clemens ERA was about 1.5 runs lower. Zambrano is a head case who will have months where he has a great month, bad month, great 2 months, another bad month. BULLs*** ABOUT PRIOR HAVING INJURY PROBLEMS BEING A REASON! He pitched in 27 games this year. That has nothing to do with him throwing 100 pitches in 5 innings. That means that he won't have a shot at getting a win in a close game and that is his fault.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 12:47 AM)
WOW!  I'd gladly exchange Prior or Zambrano for Garcia or McCarthy in a heartbeat.  I'd also be willing to bet that those two will have a better season than Contreras this year also.

i will take that bet. Contreras wins 20 games in 06. The others don't combine to win 25. You do remember that Contreras was the best pitcher in baseball in the 2nd half and should've had more than 15 wins had he not gotten screwed in the first 2 months with s*** run support.