LDF

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a ton of scenarios, so I will list a couple:

If no more acquisitions:

1. Platoon Thome (mainly DH) and Dye at first with Gload, add or bring up another OF. Not optimal.

If acquiring another player:

1. Sign Giles for OF, with Dye, Thome, and Gload at first (mainly Thome - DH, Dye - 1B)

2. Make trade with Brewers for Overbay, since they only want a pitcher (Hernandez or Marte). They inquired about McGowan from Toronto?

3. Sign Olerud for 1B and spell him with Dye and Gload as needed.

4. Make Marte for Pierre trade and move Dye to 1B.

5. Sign Piazza or Durazo as DH, or just bring back Everett to get Carl numbers.

Longshot:

1. If healthy, re-sign Frank as DH if Thome can play 1B about 75% of the time.

There are very few scenarios that make the Sox better off without Paulie. I would say the Giles one would be the closest one for debate. Maybe the Overbay one as well when you consider we have Thome. If you project Thome to put up Paulie numbers (40/100), then the player acquired would have to put up at least Everett numbers which Giles does easily, and Overbay (19/72) is capable of.

The concerns are can Thome play 1B for 120 games or so if the Sox don't acquire an everyday 1B.

I would rather not have this discussion and just sign Paulie. When that happens the Sox are a Top 5 team offensively. Couple that with a Top 5 pitching team and they are going to be hard to beat.

Edited by WinninUgly

If we don't sign Paulie, we swapped a 29-year old, heading into his prime, for a pair of midthirty-year olds coming off injuries and surgeries and earning less money.

Thome + Thomas

If they both are healthy and return to anything close to historic levels, we are ahead of the game and may not need to do anything.

If we don't sign Paulie, we swapped a 29-year old, heading into his prime, for a pair of midthirty-year olds coming off injuries and surgeries and earning less money.

Thome + Thomas <<<<< $$$$ Paulie

If they both are healthy and return to anything close to historic levels, we are ahead of the game and may not need to do anything.

It would be amazing if we lost Konerko, re-signed Frank for $2-$3 million, and Thome and Frank produced at their healthy levels. That would be some sick production for a combined $10 million. Of course, that would be the ultimate best case scenario and I don't see it happening. I think the Sox would go in another direction if Konerko doesn't re-sign.

If somehow we lost PK, I really dont' see us having a good backup plan. I would quite literally expect us to see Ross Gload get a chance at 1b...maybe Dye also with another of the young guys (Young?) getting a shot in the OF. I can't imagine KW would sign another outfielder as a response to PK leaving...Ozzie would probably give Dye a chance to prove himself there in a few games and try to throw some youth in the OF.

Personally...I just can't see Thome staying healhty the full year if he has to play the field 120 games, given that he's already working with a surgically repaired elbow that he hurt while fielding.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)
If somehow we lost PK, I really dont' see us having a good backup plan.  I would quite literally expect us to see Ross Gload get a chance at 1b...maybe Dye also with another of the young guys (Young?) getting a shot in the OF.  I can't imagine KW would sign another outfielder as a response to PK leaving...Ozzie would probably give Dye a chance to prove himself there in a few games and try to throw some youth in the OF.

Personally...I just can't see Thome staying healhty the full year if he has to play the field 120 games, given that he's already working with a surgically repaired elbow that he hurt while fielding.

don't forget that thome has a bad back as well.

only if the young prospects are major league ready. band and young can make it bareable.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)

Thome + Thomas

There is no way I want either one of them doing anything but DHing......and even that might be pushinjg it for Frank.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 12:22 AM)
two ideas:

1)  get Bill Mueller and have him DH and play some 3B

2)  sign Furcal, move Uribe to 3B and Crede to 1B

Is that nearly as good as as keeping PK?

I hope KW knows something we all don't know....like some assurance from Paulie that he'd re sign, but it doesn't seem like it.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
Is that nearly as good as as keeping PK?

I hope KW knows something we all don't know....like some assurance from Paulie that he'd re sign, but it doesn't seem like it.

nah, but seems like the best fallback plans if Konerko doesn't re-up.

If Konerko moves on, Sign Nomar. Play Thome at 1st. Get a solid backup for Thome or give Gload a shot. Then bring Big Frank Back when he is completely healthy.

Thome 1b

Nomar DH

or

Thome DH

Gload or better 1B

Nomar 3B

Crede Rest

or

Thome DH

Gload 1B

Nomar SS

Uribe rest

or

Thome 1b

Thomas DH

Nomar 3b

I like idea of adding Nomar, because he will be cheap compared to his career production. He can be a true #3 hitter. He's a good athlete who can play multiple positions DH 3b SS and maybe even LF or 1b. He leaves the door open for a healthy Big Frank. Ozzie seems to be able to cure clubhouse cancer if he ever really was one. He is Crede back insurance. I love it when ex-flubs get better after they get out. He wants to stay in Chicago. KW supposedly was interested in him before. Ozzie will get him enough play time and enough rest.

I know KW would not bring anyone to the Sox if he were a total jackass, a closet roid user, or whatever. As long as Nomar passes KW's scrutiny, I'd love to have him on the Sox.

If Konerko moves on, Sign Nomar.  Play Thome at 1st.  Get a solid backup for Thome or give Gload a shot.  Then bring Big Frank Back when he is completely healthy. 

Thome 1b

Nomar DH

or

Thome DH

Gload or better 1B

Nomar 3B

Crede Rest

or

Thome DH

Gload 1B

Nomar SS

Uribe rest

or

Thome 1b

Thomas DH

Nomar 3b

I like idea of adding Nomar, because he will be cheap compared to his career production.  He can be a true #3 hitter.  He's a good athlete who can play multiple positions DH 3b SS and maybe even LF or 1b.  He leaves the door open for a healthy Big Frank.  Ozzie seems to be able to cure clubhouse cancer if he ever really was one.  He is Crede back insurance.  I love it when ex-flubs get better after they get out.  He wants to stay in Chicago.  KW supposedly was interested in him before.  Ozzie will get him enough play time and enough rest.

I know KW would not bring anyone to the Sox if he were a total jackass, a closet roid user, or whatever.  As long as Nomar passes KW's scrutiny, I'd love to have him on the Sox.

Well thought out, nicely done.

You are right, KW was indeed interested in Nomar before, with the whole Maggs deal.

So it makes sense he's a Plan B option from KW's perspective. There's no secret they're intent on having some 3B insurance for Crede, which is smart. Pablo can handle it here and there but he's more effective as an energy player vs. a guy you plug in for two or three weeks at a crack.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 03:43 AM)
Well thought out, nicely done.

You are right, KW was indeed interested in Nomar before, with the whole Maggs deal.

So it makes sense he's a Plan B option from KW's perspective.  There's no secret they're intent on having some 3B insurance for Crede, which is smart.  Pablo can handle it here and there but he's more effective as an energy player vs. a guy you plug in for two or three weeks at a crack.

If Nomar is brought in, I think Thomas is out the door. Unfortunately...

But, Nomar seems to be a good fit. He can play both positions on the left side of the infield (though, I wouldn't recommend him at SS very often), and could probably handle 1B if he practiced there during Spring Training. He could also DH.

Question -- if they do sign Nomar, who hits #2 in the batting order? Nomar seems (to me) to have a more natural swing to RF. Plus, he strikes out a lot less than Iguchi does (nearly 50 less K's). Iguchi's 47 walks are right around Nomar's career average, so there isn't a whole lot of difference there.

I'd say, bat Nomar second (while playing 1B), and go with a lineup of...

Pods -- Nomar -- Dye -- Thome -- Iguchi -- Pierzynski -- Crede -- Uribe -- Anderson

That lineup would hit less homers than last year (I'd guesstimate in the 165-180 range, with a couple springled in by the bench), but would have a better OBP. I think Kenny would take that if the OBP increase is significant.

QUOTE(Mansoo @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
:notworthy

what about this trade??

Hank Blalock,Adrian Gonzalez Joe Crede,Freddy Garcia 

Adrian Gonzalez has decent skill in 1B

Hank Blalock>Joe Crede ..............

That a joke? Horrible trade for Chicago.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
If Nomar is brought in, I think Thomas is out the door.  Unfortunately...

You may be right. I think most would agree that if Konerko is brought back, Big Frank has no room on the team. Ozzie wouldn't want a DH on the bench and obviously Thome or Konerko wouldn't be sitting at their salaries.

The beauty of Nomar (if no Konerko) is that Frank could come back and play DH 2 out of 3 games while Nomar has the flexibility to play the field in a few places. Plus, I think Nomar and Frank combined would still leave extra money for an upgrade for Gload, a veteran CF, or an aquisition should one of the old guys break down. I still think Konerko should be plan A, but if Frank and Nomar are plan B, I still dream of repeat. Ozzie has already shown that he can juggle with Carl and Frank. It would be easier with Nomar and Frank.

Can Nomar play 2nd to spell Iguchi too? Would Nomar agree to be the DH/ supersub? I don't know. There are a lot of questions KW would need to work out, but I could see Nomar batting 2nd or 3rd for the Sox. Hell if Crede's back is bad, Nomar may be playing 3rd and hitting before Konerko and Thome.