IF the don't sign Paulie

LDF

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 06:49 PM)
It'll be Iguchi unless Owens is somehow the starting cf which I highly doubt or if we trade for a 2 hitter.  He's still a much better option then Juan.

I still think it will be Juan Pierre (who I don't want on the Sox). And for people saying Uribe K's too much....SO DOES IGUCHI!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
It'll be Iguchi unless Owens is somehow the starting cf which I highly doubt or if we trade for a 2 hitter.  He's still a much better option then Juan.

Just to play Devil's advocate for a moment...what if 2006 started off with the Uribe of the first months of 2004 making an appearance?

I'll throw my hat in the ring...

PLAN A: Thome at DH, re-sign PK for 1B

if PK can't be resigned, then...

PLAN B: Thome at 1B, re-sign Frank for DH (if and only if he can demonstrate that he will be healthy by ST)

if Frank is not healthy, then...

PLAN C: Thome at DH, sign Nomar for conversion to 1B and to hit in 2-hole (also works: if Crede's back acts up, DH Crede and put Nomar at DH, Thome at 1B)

if Nomar not possible, then...

PLAN D: Thome at 1B, get any bat that is better than Carl for DH (various possibilities here depending on player's defensive position)

if no player better than Carl available, then...

PLAN E: Thome at DH, Gload at 1B

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
My Ideal Lineup for next season:

1. Pods LF

2. Uribe SS

3. Thome 1B

4. Thomas DH

5. Iguchi 2B

6. Dye RF

7. Crede 3B

8. Pierzynski C

9. Anderson CF

I would rather spend money on Frank and strengthen the bench than pay Konerko $14 Million now that we got Thome.  Sign a good bench player like LeCroy or trade for Stairs.  Both of those can step in if Frank gets hurt again and they both have a lot of pop.

So you would rather spend money and count on a guy who may not be able to play at all, let alone a full schedule? I can guarantee you, KW won't be counting on a full healthy season from the Big Hurt in 2006.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
I still think it will be Juan Pierre (who I don't want on the Sox).  And for people saying Uribe K's too much....SO DOES IGUCHI!

Yes but Iguchi handles the back well in terms of hitting the ball the other way, not being a free swinger. Based on Juan's swing mechanics, I just do not see him as being a hitter who will go the other way and move the runner over. Most importantly I dont see him fitting into the role where he will take pitches to hit so Pods can run.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
Yes but Iguchi handles the back well in terms of hitting the ball the other way, not being a free swinger.  Based on Juan's swing mechanics, I just do not see him as being a hitter who will go the other way and move the runner over.  Most importantly I dont see him fitting into the role where he will take pitches to hit so Pods can run.

Iguchi also gave up way too many ABs when taking those pitches from Pods, and ended up striking out cause he was down in the count. Uribe is the type of guy that if you force him to go the other way with pitches, you could really end up helping him. I don't think either guy should be batting 2nd, to be honest. Iguchi should be batting 6th, and Uribe 8th.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
I still think it will be Juan Pierre (who I don't want on the Sox).  And for people saying Uribe K's too much....SO DOES IGUCHI!

Who said Uribe k'd to much? Iguchi gets on base at a better clip then Juan and he also can control the bat much better then Uribe. I love Juan but he can't handle the bat, he has no clue where he's trying to hit the ball half the time. He's just not a good 2 hitter.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
Iguchi also gave up way too many ABs when taking those pitches from Pods, and ended up striking out cause he was down in the count.  Uribe is the type of guy that if you force him to go the other way with pitches, you could really end up helping him.  I don't think either guy should be batting 2nd, to be honest.  Iguchi should be batting 6th, and Uribe 8th.

I agree that Gooch would be a better hitter 6th and Uribe 8th, on an ideal Sox team next year that would be the order. Last season I think Gooch struck out a lot more as the season went on. In the first half he was great in the 2 hole, lots of productive outs, moved the runner consistently. In the second half it seemed he failed to get Pods over too often because of K's. That being said, on the current roster I would still take Gooch as my 2 hitter.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:00 PM)
Who said Uribe k'd to much?  Iguchi gets on base at a better clip then Juan and he also can control the bat much better then Uribe.  I love Juan but he can't handle the bat, he has no clue where he's trying to hit the ball half the time.  He's just not a good 2 hitter.

Post 49 in this thread has a statement that Uribe K's too much. I don't want to butcher the cut/paste, so I'll just refer to post 49.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
Post 49 in this thread has a statement that Uribe K's too much.  I don't want to butcher the cut/paste, so I'll just refer to post 49.

Oh, my bad. You quoted my post so I thought you were referring to something I said. I apologize.

My Ideal Lineup for next season:

1. Pods LF

2. Uribe SS

3. Thome 1B

4. Thomas DH

5. Iguchi 2B

6. Dye RF

7. Crede 3B

8. Pierzynski C

9. Anderson CF

I would rather spend money on Frank and strengthen the bench than pay Konerko $14 Million now that we got Thome.  Sign a good bench player like LeCroy or trade for Stairs.  Both of those can step in if Frank gets hurt again and they both have a lot of pop.

Why do you think that Uribe could bat second? Would you bat Crede second? They put up similar numbers and while Uribe is faster than Crede, he's still an awful basestealer.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
Thank you.

There's one, here comes another one ... any minute now.  :banghead

Well Giles was offered a contract worth more than double the $24 million VAfan thought it would take, so maybe those posts will subside for awhile.

On the Score, George Offman is saying that the backup plan to losing Konerko could be Troy Glaus or Hank Blalock. Looks like they want someone who can play third base. Crede's back must not be too healthy.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
On the Score, George Offman is saying that the backup plan to losing Konerko could be Troy Glaus or Hank Blalock.  Looks like they want someone who can play 3B and 1B.  Crede's back must not be too healthy.

I don't think there is any doubt that the Sox are worried about Joe's back. Troy Glaus would be a great backup plan to Paul imo, Hank Blalock....meh.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 06:01 PM)
There are a ton of scenarios, so I will list a couple:

If no more acquisitions:

1.  Platoon Thome (mainly DH) and Dye at first with Gload, add or bring up another OF.  Not optimal.

If acquiring another player:

1.  Sign Giles for OF, with Dye, Thome, and Gload at first (mainly Thome - DH, Dye - 1B)

2.  Make trade with Brewers for Overbay, since they only want a pitcher (Hernandez or Marte).  They inquired about McGowan from Toronto?

3. Sign Olerud for 1B and spell him with Dye and Gload as needed.

4.  Make Marte for Pierre trade and move Dye to 1B.

5.  Sign Piazza or Durazo as DH, or just bring back Everett to get Carl numbers.

Longshot:

1.  If healthy, re-sign Frank as DH if Thome can play 1B about 75% of the time.

There are very few scenarios that make the Sox better off without Paulie.  I would say the Giles one would be the closest one for debate.  Maybe the Overbay one as well when you consider we have Thome.  If you project Thome to put up Paulie numbers (40/100), then the player acquired would have to put up at least Everett numbers which Giles does easily, and Overbay (19/72) is capable of.

The concerns are can Thome play 1B for 120 games or so if the Sox don't acquire an everyday 1B.

I would rather not have this discussion and just sign Paulie.  When that happens the Sox are a Top 5 team offensively.  Couple that with a Top 5 pitching team and they are going to be hard to beat.

I think you may be the only other person to suggest Giles as the first option if PK walks.

I would sign Giles to play LF, move Pods to CF, and keep Dye in RF. Anderson would replace Perez on the roster as the backup to all three outfield slots, where he would get into most games against lefties and 200+ ABs overall. He would also be the LIDP for Pods, with Pods either sliding to LF or being taken out.

I would then re-sign Frank Thomas to an incentive laden one-year deal where he would earn something like an extra million for each 100 PAs over 300. Thome would be the primary 1B, though I would train Jermaine Dye to back him up and keep someone like Ross Gload on the roster.

If Frank can contribute even 80% of his career norms, this would be the lineup:

Pods CF/LF

Iguchi 2B

Giles LF/CF/RF

Thomas DH

Thome 1B/DH

Dye RF

Pierzynski C

Crede 3B

Uribe SS

We'd have lefties in the 1, 3, 5, and 7 holes, three guys in the middle with .400 OBPs and .500+ SLG averages, and two guys at the bottom who are due to start carrying their September-October production into a whole season. I would bet that lineup would score up to 100 more runs than last year's team.

Bench would be: Widger, Harris, Ozuna, Anderson, Gload (or other 1B).

If PK comes back, then Thome is DH and Frank is gone (to Cleveland?). You could theoretically still sign Giles, but the Sox aren't going to invest that kind of money. Instead, CF becomes wide open for Anderson/Owens/Young to compete. If one of them was ready, I'd be fine with that move depending on how much PK will require. At some point he won't be worth the money.

Well Giles was offered a contract worth more than double the $24 million VAfan thought it would take, so maybe those posts will subside for awhile.

No, I knew they wouldn't subside, the drum is still beating even though it won't happen. I think VA Fan should send an email to Ken Williams instead of posting the same idea here ad nauseum.

Where is RockRaines, I am two for two in my offseason predictions, now that I predicted a "sign Giles" post would surface.

The latest offer to Giles was reported to be 5 years, $55 million by the Blue Jays. Why wouldn't we just spend $5 more million and re-sign Konerko? He's 5 years younger than Giles and he plays a position where we currently have a hole. Giles at that price would make no sense over Konerko for $5 million or so more.

Edited by SSH2005