IF the don't sign Paulie

LDF

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)
Overbay is available and the Brewers want young, cheap starting pitching.  We just gave that up for Thome.  Overbay is overrated anyways.  Good OBP but do you really want only a 20 homerun guy at 1B/DH?

They turned down McGowan straight up for Overbay. The Brewers don't think Fielder is ready for the beginning of next season, so they're going to have to be blown away by an offer to do it. I don't think they're a good fit with the Sox right now.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They turned down McGowan straight up for Overbay.  The Brewers don't think Fielder is ready for the beginning of next season, so they're going to have to be blown away by an offer to do it.  I don't think they're a good fit with the Sox right now.

I think they would have taken Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Haigwood for him.

Very likely, but since we've traded them, I don't think it's really possible for the Sox to get Overbay now.

My point is that the Brewers will trade Overbay if someone offers them enough young, cheap pitching talent. I don't see what Prince Fielder could have possibly done in the minors or majors last year to make them think he isn't ready.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
I think they would have taken Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Haigwood for him.

Of course they would. WHo wouldn't for an overrated first baseman. OVerbay is a good OBP guy. Thats about it. Both Geoff Jenkins and Bill Hall had better numbers than him. He's a good OBP guy and can hit a few doubles. THats about it.

Edited by jphat007

Of course they would. WHo wouldn't for an overrated first baseman. OVerbay is a good OBP guy. Thats about it. Both Geoff Jenkins and Bill Hall had better numbers than him. He's a good OBP guy and can hit a few doubles. THats about it.

I agree with you. Overbay is overrated. I said the same thing a few posts back.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)

Overbay has averaged a better WARP than Konerko the past two seasons. All while making less than 500k each year. I think he's anything but overrated.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:16 PM)
OK, I'll bite.

WARP?

Wins Above Replacement Player, level 1. The number of wins this player contributed, above what a replacement level hitter, fielder, and pitcher would have done, with adjustments only for within the season.

© Baseball Prospectus

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
I agree with you.  Overbay is overrated.  I said the same thing a few posts back.

I wouldn't say he is overrated, it is just people expected more out of him after 2004. For under a $1 million a year he is a steal for a guy with a lifetime BA of .285, OBP of .373, and averages of 15 HR and 75 RBI a year. He is also a Lefty which is a plus.

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
I wouldn't say he is overrated, it is just people expected more out of him after 2004.  For under a $1 million a year he is a steal for a guy with a lifetime BA of .285, OBP of .373, and averages of 15 HR and 75 RBI a year.

When does he hit Free Agency? It seems the Brewers have been hitting him with a series of 1 year deals.

Reportedly the Blue Jays have also shown some interest in him, but Milwaukee's asking price was too high. (They asked for pitcher Dustin McGowan)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
Reportedly the Blue Jays have also shown some interest in him, but Milwaukee's asking price was too high. (They asked for pitcher Dustin McGowan)

We could've beaten that offer with our Thome deal, minus Rowand.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
Whoa, I just found this:

7/7/2006: Signed a contract extension with Milwaukee, $3,500,000 per year, for 3 years.

So that seems more accurate.  The $3.5 is in line with his performance.

http://fszcentral.com/athfbl/p174.html

That s*** doesn't make sense. 2006 hasn't come yet.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
Can that web page tell us who wins the super bowl this year?

Says the Bears over the Colts 17-13!

I guess he is due salary arbitration and his salary could jump from $446,000 to about $2.5 million.

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)
I wouldn't say he is overrated, it is just people expected more out of him after 2004.  For under a $1 million a year he is a steal for a guy with a lifetime BA of .285, OBP of .373, and averages of 15 HR and 75 RBI a year.  He is also a Lefty which is a plus.

He's a decent hitter - for a left fielder; just not as a first baseman, unless he's on the bosox or yanks and surrounded by lots of other power hitters.