DA BEARS

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
Sat down and watched the whole game. The D is flat out sick, Chico, Lovie, Angello, all should get props for putting this D together.

On the other hand, I now have no problem with Grossman splitting snaps with Orton in practice.....

I agree. At some point, Orton is gonna have to actually win a game for us, and that thought scares the crap out of me. If Grossman impresses in practice, I wouldn't have any problem with him getting the nod.

I don't understand all this Orton hate. When he drops back do you see him making mistakes? The Bears run a conservative offense, because of this he's not going to put up prolific pass numbers.

That said I don't see Orton making poor reads and for the most part when he drops back he makes good throws. The Bears don't call an offense and its a good thing imo (since we have a rookie QB) thats ever going to put up 300 yard passing games (and if we do, its a bad sign right now because it means were playing catch-up).

If I saw Orton dropping back and missing wide open guys all game I'd say something different. He made two bad decisions all game (one was an early pass to Gage that Barber damn near picked and the other was on the pump fake to Gage which should never have been thrown that was picked).

He's making good decisions with the football and is throwing pretty darn accurate balls for the most part.

108 yarder was total luck. not even funny how much luck that was. could also throw in the fumbled punt by SF. you could even say any of peterson's runs he has had in any game have been luck. against the saints, saints fumble on the bears 15. thats mostly luck, a little skill though. against panthers, their best linebacker morgan got injured, could easily say that was some big help for the bears. that missed field goal by bryant is right at the top of the list of lucky breaks the bears have gotten.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
I don't understand all this Orton hate.  When he drops back do you see him making mistakes?  The Bears run a conservative offense, because of this he's not going to put up prolific pass numbers.

That said I don't see Orton making poor reads and for the most part when he drops back he makes good throws.  The Bears don't call an offense and its a good thing imo (since we have a rookie QB) thats ever going to put up 300 yard passing games (and if we do, its a bad sign right now because it means were playing catch-up).

If I saw Orton dropping back and missing wide open guys all game I'd say something different.  He made two bad decisions all game (one was an early pass to Gage that Barber damn near picked and the other was on the pump fake to Gage which should never have been thrown that was picked).

He's making good decisions with the football and is throwing pretty darn accurate balls for the most part.

All this is fine as well as long as the D continues to do it's thing. The minute Orton is asked to actually win a game for us, we're in trouble.

QUOTE(Tmar28 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
108 yarder was total luck. not even funny how much luck that was. could also throw in the fumbled punt by SF. you could even say any of peterson's runs he has had in any game have been luck. against the saints, saints fumble on the bears 15. thats mostly luck, a little skill though. against panthers, their best linebacker morgan got injured, could easily say that was some big help for the bears. that missed field goal by bryant is right at the top of the list of lucky breaks the bears have gotten.

You want a link to a Packer board?

QUOTE(Tmar28 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1. How do Peterson's runs have anything to do with luck?

2. How is forcing a fumble lucky?

3. Bears were already winning when Morgan went down.

4. Vashers return is actually a play that gets practiced, and had some good blocking

Were you even using your brain when you made that post?

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(Tmar28 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)

Umm....the field goal wasn't luck, they did the blocking and made the return. That game wouldn't have even been close if the coniditions were normal anyway.

How are Peterson's runs luck? Are you a freaking idiot? He finds holes and gets rolling.

The Panthers got clocked with or without Morgan they got clocked.

Great defenses make plays and when you get the pass rush the Bears do your going to force turnovers. In fact there were a few times today that the Bucs narrowly escaped Turnovers. I saw Simms float a few balls into the middle of the field and he was just lucky the Bears weren't in the right position a few times.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
All this is fine as well as long as the D continues to do it's thing.  The minute Orton is asked to actually win a game for us,  we're in trouble.

Point is, I don't see the Bears wanting that. They are trying to protect the young QB and aren't asking him to drop back 35 times. They aren't asking him to throw 25-30 yard slants all game long.

They are asking him to make good decisions on 2nd (ocassionally) and more importantly on 3rd and 5 or short. He's thrown some damn good slants and when he does drop back and throw the ball he's made good decisions and found the open guy.

I saw him float Gage on the 1st drive of the game, that was about the only ball I saw floated the entire day. The more the game went on the more accurate he was and to close out the half he was very accurate and made all the good sideline throws.

Point is, when he's stepping back and throwing he's making the plays and most importantly he's not making mistakes. The Bears aren't putting him in a position to throw 30 times and go for 250 or 300 yards. Thats not what this offense is trying to do and you can't say Orton sucks because they do that. Its a freaking brilliant tactic by Turner and the offense to protect him and run the ball, which rests the defense and keeps the offense very balanced.

If you guys start seeing Orton drop back and drop back and drop back and just constantly make poor reads or throw the ball all over the place I'd see the case in point. But can you show me a bunch of plays each week that he missed? I don't think so. Especially these past two weeks.

Why assume Grossman would do anymore, I don't see the Bears missing big plays. They don't go for many of them, but Orton is hitting his guys.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
Point is, I don't see the Bears wanting that.  They are trying to protect the young QB and aren't asking him to drop back 35 times.  They aren't asking him to throw 25-30 yard slants all game long.

They are asking him to make good decisions on 2nd (ocassionally) and more importantly on 3rd and 5 or short.  He's thrown some damn good slants and when he does drop back and throw the ball he's made good decisions and found the open guy.

I saw him float Gage on the 1st drive of the game, that was about the only ball I saw floated the entire day.  The more the game went on the more accurate he was and to close out the half he was very accurate and made all the good sideline throws. 

Point is, when he's stepping back and throwing he's making the plays and most importantly he's not making mistakes.  The Bears aren't putting him in a position to throw 30 times and go for 250 or 300 yards.  Thats not what this offense is trying to do and you can't say Orton sucks because they do that.  Its a freaking brilliant tactic by Turner and the offense to protect him and run the ball, which rests the defense and keeps the offense very balanced. 

If you guys start seeing Orton drop back and drop back and drop back and just constantly make poor reads or throw the ball all over the place I'd see the case in point.  But can you show me a bunch of plays each week that he missed?  I don't think so.  Especially these past two weeks.

Why assume Grossman would do anymore, I don't see the Bears missing big plays.  They don't go for many of them, but Orton is hitting his guys.

Jason, I understand everything you're saying. The offense is extremely conservative, and it has to be. We can afford to be conservative due to the fact we have the best defense the NFL has seen since the 2000 Ravens. All I'm saying is that at some point, Orton is gonna have to go out there and win a game. Lets assume Bryant makes that fg, then the pressure goes straight to the offense. You can't be as conservative in a tie game or if you're behind. Your qb has to make some plays. I personally don't think Orton can do that. I would love to be proven wrong, but I haven't seen much to suggest he can actually go out there and "win" a game.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
Jason,  I understand everything you're saying.  The offense is extremely conservative,  and it has to be.  We can afford to be conservative due to the fact we have the best defense the NFL has seen since the 2000 Ravens.  All I'm saying is that at some point,  Orton is gonna have to go out there and win a game.  Lets assume Bryant makes that fg,  then the pressure goes straight to the offense.  You can't be as conservative in a tie game or if you're behind.  Your qb has to make some plays.  I personally don't think Orton can do that.  I would love to be proven wrong,  but I haven't seen much to suggest he can actually go out there and "win" a game.

Orton has proved more than rex has.

All rex has ever been for us is potential.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

1. How do Peterson's runs have anything to do with luck?

2. How is forcing a fumble lucky?

3. Bears were already winning when Morgan went down.

4. Vashers return is actually a play that gets practiced, and had some good blocking

Were you even using your brain when you made that post?

1. peterson is a pretty bad player, hence he should not be racking up rushing yards.

2. the fumble was indeed the weakest point of my argument. the point was that the team was driving and in field goal range and the bears happen to force a turnover.

3. morgan went down 5 minutes into the game. thats 55 minutes without morgan. bulls*** that that did not have an effect.

4. haha theres no way you can honestly deny that the 108 yarder was luck. there are so many blocks that must occur, without an illegal hold mind you, that it does not happen by skill.

were you using your brain when you were responding, or were you just gonna back up there bears no matter what.

luck must be happening when a team cannot move the ball, which the bears cannot do. they have not had a reciever go over 100 yards in a game, nor has orton passed for more than 150 yards in a game more than once. factor in that they have rushed for over 100 yards 5 times, and thats a pretty bad offense. the points must therefore come from defense and special teams. and as we all know, special teams points are mostly luck and you know it.

Edited by Tmar28

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
Orton has proved more than rex has.

All rex has ever been for us is potential.

Rex has been hit hard by the injury bug. All i'm saying that is if Rex comes out and looks really good in practice and impresses the coaching staff, you might have to put him in. But I agree with the thinking that as long as we're winning, Orton should be the guy.

QUOTE(Tmar28 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
1. peterson is a pretty bad player, hence he should not be racking up rushing yards.

2. the fumble was indeed the weakest point of my argument. the point was that the team was driving and in field goal range and the bears happen to force a turnover.

3. morgan went down 5 minutes into the game. thats 55 minutes without morgan. bulls*** that that did not have an effect.

4. haha theres no way you can honestly deny that the 108 yarder was luck. there are so many blocks that must occur, without an illegal hold mind you, that it does not happen by skill.

were you using your brain when you were responding, or were you just gonna back up there bears no matter what.

luck must be happening when a team cannot move the ball, which the bears cannot do. they have not had a reciever go over 100 yards in a game, nor has orton passed for more than 150 yards in a game more than once. factor in that they have rushed for over 100 yards 5 times, and thats a pretty bad offense. the points must therefore come from defense and special teams. and as we all know, special teams points are mostly luck and you know it.

You can go ahead and stop talking now. 8-3. That is all.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
Jason,  I understand everything you're saying.  The offense is extremely conservative,  and it has to be.  We can afford to be conservative due to the fact we have the best defense the NFL has seen since the 2000 Ravens.  All I'm saying is that at some point,  Orton is gonna have to go out there and win a game.  Lets assume Bryant makes that fg,  then the pressure goes straight to the offense.  You can't be as conservative in a tie game or if you're behind.  Your qb has to make some plays.  I personally don't think Orton can do that.  I would love to be proven wrong,  but I haven't seen much to suggest he can actually go out there and "win" a game.

Did Orton not make all the passes necessary two or three weeks ago when he led the Bears into field goal range to set up the game winning field goal?

In fact, I think he's right around the top rated QB in the final 2 minutes of each halves. Of course he's the worse rated starter in the other 56 minutes.

Point is, we aren't going to win games if were putting the ball in the arms of Orton needing score 30 points. If that happens we have failed as a team.

Thats like asking the Sox to score 10 runs a game last year because we didn't have the type of offense that can do that. Your asked to win your style of games. We won't win a shootout, but thats not our style.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
All this is fine as well as long as the D continues to do it's thing.  The minute Orton is asked to actually win a game for us,  we're in trouble.

That says it all right there. We can't expect to have the defense win every single game for us.

QUOTE(Tmar28 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)

Here's a nice Packer board for you to cry on.

http://www.nfl-sports-picks.com/nfl/packers.htm

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Rex has been hit hard by the injury bug.  All i'm saying that is if Rex comes out and looks really good in practice and impresses the coaching staff,  you might have to put him in.  But I agree with the thinking that as long as we're winning,  Orton should be the guy.

No, you don't. Orton has made the plays he's asked to. Now if Orton starts stinking, than fine by me. I don't expect that to happen.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
Did Orton not make all the passes necessary two or three weeks ago when he led the Bears into field goal range to set up the game winning field goal? 

In fact, I think he's right around the top rated QB in the final 2 minutes of each halves.  Of course he's the worse rated starter in the other 56 minutes. 

Point is, we aren't going to win games if were putting the ball in the arms of Orton needing score 30 points.  If that happens we have failed as a team. 

Thats like asking the Sox to score 10 runs a game last year because we didn't have the type of offense that can do that.  Your asked to win your style of games.  We won't win a shootout, but thats not our style.

Agreed. I know we're not the 01 Rams or last years Colts. I'm just worried about when Orton actually has to go out there and make some things happen. I especially worry about this in the playoffs. Like I said, i'm praying Orton proves me wrong. The White Sox stuffed a s*** load of crow down my throat. I can definitely go for some more.

Edited by Jordan4life_2005