DA BEARS

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tmar28 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
1. peterson is a pretty bad player, hence he should not be racking up rushing yards.

2. the fumble was indeed the weakest point of my argument. the point was that the team was driving and in field goal range and the bears happen to force a turnover.

3. morgan went down 5 minutes into the game. thats 55 minutes without morgan. bulls*** that that did not have an effect.

4. haha theres no way you can honestly deny that the 108 yarder was luck. there are so many blocks that must occur, without an illegal hold mind you, that it does not happen by skill.

were you using your brain when you were responding, or were you just gonna back up there bears no matter what.

luck must be happening when a team cannot move the ball, which the bears cannot do. they have not had a reciever go over 100 yards in a game, nor has orton passed for more than 150 yards in a game more than once. factor in that they have rushed for over 100 yards 5 times, and thats a pretty bad offense. the points must therefore come from defense and special teams. and as we all know, special teams points are mostly luck and you know it.

1. Peterson is not a bad player, you would know that if you had ever watched him

3. The Bears were up 7-0 3 minutes in, the Bears gave up only 3 points all game. Unless you were counting on Morgan to score for them he would have had no effect on the game.

Is a 46 yard INT TD with 3 minutes left luck?

Being best in the league in points and yards allowed is pretty lucky to.

Remember when you said the Cowboys D is better than the Bears?

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
Agreed.  I know we're not the 01 Rams or last years Colts.  I'm just worried about when Orton actually has to go out there and make some things happen.  I especially worry about this in the playoffs.  Like I said.  i'm praying Orton proves me wrong.  The White Sox stuffed a s*** load of crow down my throat.  I can definitely go for some more.

The Bears aren't a whole lot different than last years Steelers. Just watch the Steelers with Big Ben last year. He wasn't asked to do much anything, the Steelers handed the heck out of the ball and played strong defense. Ben made some plays but not too many (he didn't make mistakes and was smart enough to continue to win). When Ben was asked to put the team on his back he couldn't (no rookie can).

Ben has improved this year but just wait a year or two longer and than he's the type of guy that can really go out and win games for you. This year he's been hurt but he's getting closer to that point already.

This years Bears have a superior defense to last years Steelers (they had a damn good one too) but the Steelers had a lot more offensive weapons last year than the Bears do this year (RB's is similar, but the WR's the Steelers had with Plaxico, Hines, Randle El was a big advantage).

Sure it may bite us in the playoffs, but Orton is developing and improving each week and is doing an amazing job for a rookie. He has a strong arm and improving footwork (once it gets better and he sees more defenses and improves his route reading and familiarity, plus when the Bears WR's develop a bit more, you'll see him improve and turn into a good NFL QB). I don't see why people think he sucks.

The Bears are developing a QB and winning with him and he's doing whats asked of him. Next year you'll probably see the Bears call a little more open game. You'll never see a wide-open game though, not with this defense. It would be totally foolish to do that. The defense is our strenght so your offensive play calls need to be conservative enough to make sure you give your defense rest and win the field position battle.

When you do that you allow your defense to tee off on the opponents. Obviously the best thing would be long scoring drives but look at it this way, the Bears have put together some real long offensive scoring drives this year. They will put together more and the offense will continue to improve.

The Bears offense looked solid enough today against the 3rd ranked defense in the league. Last week was about the best the offense had looked all season against one of the best defenses in the league (Carolina). The point is this is a team thats getting better each week and Orton is a part of this team.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
No, you don't.  Orton has made the plays he's asked to.  Now if Orton starts stinking, than fine by me.  I don't expect that to happen.

Well how short is your leash? Does he have to stink two games in a row, three? Any more than that and we will have a new QB going into the playoffs.

Edited by 3E8

Great win..Although the 3 and outs near the end of the game really put our D to the test...I'm not saying you gotta score..although that would be something :bang

But you gotta get some first downs to keep our D off the field as much as possible.

Then when they do come in they're well rested and can really be great...

the offensive possession the Bears had right before the Bucs ran the scoring drive for the TD..the 3 and out

I said uh Oh.

You can almost tell they were gonna drive the ball..Gotta give the D a little break.

But another great game by the D..on the Road. :cheers

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
Well how short is your leash?  Does he have to stink two games in a row, three?  Any more than that and we will have a new QB going into the playoffs.

There is no exact definition. If he was horrid for 2 or 3 straight weeks he'd be gone and that wouldn't give much time for Grossman, but thats life. I'm not benching him because someone else looks good in practice.

Not when he's gotten better each and every week and has been a part of this offense. He's not costing this team wins, he's helping them win more than some of you think because he's doing his job.

Trent Dilfer didn't need to throw for 300 yards with the Ravens, he needed to limit turnovers and try to convert the key 3rd downs when needed. He did that and went to the superbowl and won it. The Ravens d was the reason it won, but it wouldn't have won if Dilfer didn't protect the football and help move the chains just enough.

I'm also not even going to speak of the insane lack of depth the Bears have at WR right now. I'm looking forward to Berrian, Berlin and Currie to get some more playing time (especially Berrian) because it would open up a little more things.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
How one sided is the Adewale Ogunleye for Marty Booker trade looking now?  :lol:

An elite pass rushing end for a second rate wr.  Thank god for the salary cap.

Booker is better than a 2nd rate WR, imo. Problem is he hasn't had any QB in Miami the past couple years.

Still a very good deal for the Bears. They needed that premiere pash rusher and when healthy Ogunleye is just that. Plus Alex Brown is a mad man of late.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
How one sided is the Adewale Ogunleye for Marty Booker trade looking now?  :lol:

An elite pass rushing end for a second rate wr.  Thank god for the salary cap.

LOL, 4 real. Booker not even a 2nd rate WR. Great deal for the Bears.

Is Grossman ready to go? I heard that the only reason he was the #3 quarterback was because they wanted to cut Kittner to make a roster spot open for Berlin. All three pregame radio shows (Score, ESPN1000, and the station the game was on, 780?) all were in agreement that it was a minor gamble because Rex was at best 65-70% ready to play in a game if needed. I'll bet it's pretty similar next week, only Rex will be up to about 75-80% and will actually have some practice time with the team. He'll definitely be #2 for next game and I think Lovie has come out and said that Orton is their guy barring injury. I think it's only fair. He's shown a lot of toughness, both physically and mentally and he's just a persistent little bugger. In today's game, I didn't see a lot of help from his WRs. When he broke out of the pocket, it seemed like none of them broke their routes to help him out. I don't think Grossman is much of an upgrade at this point, considering he hasn't seen live NFL action for over a year now.

I just want to add, that on top of a Bears victory, I was in Packer land (NE Wisconsin and the UP of MI) on a hunting trip and they are disgusted at their team's suckiness and are jealous of the Bears' success. They remind me of Cubs fans. I overheard a bitter cheesehead (owner of restaurant) saying "Man, their head coaches name is Lovie...yeah, Lovie." Ha.....haha.

The Bears story is incredible. They have the worst starting QB in football (by far) and the worst offensive coordinator in football (by far) and they are STILL 8-3 because of this defense.

It's so unreal I can't get really excited about the Bears because I think everything is going to catch up with them, but GREAT win and 8-3 sound so sweet.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 07:57 PM)
Hmm

The Bears threw the ball all 4th quarter today, and it failed because Kyle Orton is no good. The Bears defense as a result was DEAD the last several minutes of this game, and would have given up 2 TD's and a loss had Tampa Bay run the ball on 3rd and 2. That's not the defense's fault, they were just on the field all game during a game played in Florida, so of course you get tired.

Kyle Orton sucks. Ron Turner sucks. But the Bears are 8-3 and I love it, so please don't say i'm not a fan. I'm just afraid this mirage is going to end when we play a team that isn't stupid and realizes they should just run the ball pretty much every play and not let our defense beat them.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
The Bears story is incredible.  They have the worst starting QB in football (by far) and the worst offensive coordinator in football (by far) and they are STILL 8-3 because of this defense.

It's so unreal I can't get really excited about the Bears because I think everything is going to catch up with them, but GREAT win and 8-3 sound so sweet.

Worst starting QB? Brooks Bollinger, JP Losman, Gus Ferotte, Ken Dorsey, Joey Harrington. There are plenty of awful QBs in the NFL, the fact that Orton is a rookie that has not made many mistakes recently does not make him the worst starting QB in the NFL. He isnt great but he has done what the Bears have asked him to do this year

The Bears are a year or two away from being legit Super Bowl contenders because they do not have a veteran QB and they have major problems at the second receiver.

Edited by illinilaw08

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
Worst starting QB?  Brooks Bollinger, JP Losman, Gus Ferotte, Ken Dorsey, Joey Harrington.  There are plenty of awful QBs in the NFL, the fact that Orton is a rookie that has not made many mistakes recently does not make him the worst starting QB in the NFL.  He isnt great but he has done what the Bears have asked him to do this year

Agreed on all counts. Orton has done what the Bears asked and for a rookie, hasn't been all that bad. But it doesn't change the fact that Kyle Orton is the worst quarterback in the NFL, according to both stats and the eye test.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
Agreed on all counts.  Orton has done what the Bears asked and for a rookie, hasn't been all that bad.  But it doesn't change the fact that Kyle Orton is the worst quarterback in the NFL, according to both stats and the eye test.

I agree Orton is not going to win games by himself, I just disagree with the fact that he is the worst QB in the NFL. The fact of the matter is that there are three areas on this Bears team that need massive improvement: QB (needing a veteran... give Orton or Grossman a few years experience and they could get there), a second receiver (unfortunate that Bradley got hurt, need more consistency from Gage), and TE (self-explanatory). It will be interesting to see what might happen when Grossman or Orton get some weapons other than Jones and Moose, and a bit of experience under his belt. It is just unfortunate for the Bears that their defense is so far ahead of the offense now.

Edited by illinilaw08

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
I just want to add, that on top of a Bears victory, I was in Packer land (NE Wisconsin and the UP of MI) on a hunting trip and they are disgusted at their team's suckiness and are jealous of the Bears' success. They remind me of Cubs fans. I overheard a bitter cheesehead (owner of restaurant) saying "Man, their head coaches name is Lovie...yeah, Lovie." Ha.....haha.

Ummm...they aren't the Cubs. They've won some Super Bowls and were one of the better teams of the past 10-12 years.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 02:10 AM)
Agreed on all counts.  Orton has done what the Bears asked and for a rookie, hasn't been all that bad.  But it doesn't change the fact that Kyle Orton is the worst quarterback in the NFL, according to both stats and the eye test.

I agree with you even though some bear fans are blind and think he is good Orton is the worse starting QB in the NFL right now... worse than losman and harrington. But idonno how you consider our OC the worse in the league... he is using a rookie QB and is still finding a way to give us one of the best rushing attacks in the league......If we had an actual capable QB our offense might be pretty good.

Bears Super Bowl?

Get over yourselves. We'll see how the Bears match up two weeks from now against someone not in the NFC (not named Seattle or New York, of course).

I still say fluke. Badmouth me all you want, but their luck will run out. The Bears have done much better than I thought, I'll admit that, but I still think a lot of it is a function of playing the NFC.

Ahh, Kyle Orton, 17th in passer rating in a league with 16 teams.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
They have the worst starting QB in football (by far) and the worst offensive coordinator in football (by far)

Dont really agree with any of this. First off, Turner is working with what was his third string quarterback(not to mention, a rookie) at the beginning of August. So right off the bat, Turner has to teach Orton on the fly how to A) understand his own offense, and B ) understand opposing defenses. The learning curve is dead set against these two succeeding in any capacity, but there you look at it and the Bears are 8-3.

I think given the current situation, Turner has performed absolutely marvelously. You look at yesterdays offense, and you think to yourself "They threw the ball too many damn times in the 4th quarter, Orton isnt that good, etc. al". But what were the Bucs geared up for all week? What are the staples of bears football? Defense and the Running Game. Turner was doing the opposite of what the Bucs thought he was going to do. If we still had shoop it would be "run, run, slant". Turners vertical game is dependant on the play-action. Yesterday the play-action wasnt working because the Bucs defense is still pretty damn good. Nothing really opened up until the 4th quarter when Thomas Jones had a couple of nice runs, coupled with a nice screen pass that went for 41 yards.

I cant argue that Orton isnt the worst statistical quarterback in the league. I am sure his starting numbers arent anything to smile at. But the Bears dont need the Colts offense right now to succeed. Turner knows that, and he is trying to stay conservative enough that Orton cannot give the game away, and still maintain ball control. This has to be a tough line to toe across.

I think Turner is going to look even better next year when he can coach a QB through the everything leading through the season. I certainly havent seen anything to land him the title of "Worst offensive coordinator(by far)".

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 11:46 PM)
I agree with you even though some bear fans are blind and think he is good Orton is the worse starting QB in the NFL right now... worse than losman and harrington.  But idonno how you consider our OC the worse in the league... he is using a rookie QB and is still finding a way to give us one of the best rushing attacks in the league......If we had an actual capable QB our offense might be pretty good.

Well I'm biased against Turner, but he definitely had a rough day at least yesterday. Also, our running game has to do with having very good tailbacks and a solid, veteran offensive line IMO. And as for the Bears having a good offense if their QB was worth anything.......shh don't say that!! Orton is awesome, he wins!!! :headshake