Sadder than Sad Relationships

Texsox

Which is the saddest?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the saddest?

• Unrequited love?
    • Cheating partner?
    • Apathy ending a relationship?
    • Misunderstanding ending a relationship?
    • Relocation ending a relationship?
    • Running out of beer?

I went with apathy. Although I guess it depends who you're talkign too. Relocation is probably the saddest for both. But I think apathy is the worst for the one getting dumped. Because then there's no way to thinking they still care about you. . .

EDIT: Although I think that "running out of beer" is going to be the run away winner here. . .

Edited by Soxy

Cheating definitely, because while they could just break up with you and just be honest they need to be greedy and be with more than one person and rub in the pain. Apathy a very close 2nd...it sucks to know they don't care or at least put on a hell of show to act like it.

Live and learn and weed out the crappy ones :D

Hmm. Just us five sensitive souls with the guts to post on this topic? Wait, now that I look, though, I see Tex is trying to fly under the radar with nothing but a darn smiley. Make that four sensitive souls.

I’m not sure what you meant, exactly, so I responded about the worst way to end a relationship. I punched “unrequited love” but that really wasn’t what I meant. The absolute worst is when you get dumped suddenly and you never discover why. You know, the fast, clean break and you never talk to the person after that. I still remember that bastard’s name! And there were nice ones after him whose names I’ve totally forgotten. I can laugh now. But at the time……………

Elie Wiesel:

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.

The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.

The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.

And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.

Apathy creeps up, soon you have a friend where once there was a lover. Soon you have a stranger and without an strong emotions to drive the relationship, it dies like a tropical storm over cold water. That to me is the saddest. To end not in a final fireworks display, a catharsis of sorts, it ends with a whimper.

You sheltered lucky souls have all had it too easy if you were able to so easily pigeonhole one of these choices as the worst.

Until you have been on the losing end of a long-term relationship gone bad, in which apathy leads to unrequite and also infidelity, then you are all rank amateurs in the world of bad relationships.

So put me down for the apathy/unrequite/infidelity trifecta. And for kicks, throw in the shame of having subjugated self for the supposed betterment of the whole for so many years that when it finally does come crashing down you've forgotten who you used to be and what you once thought was important.

Still bitter after 14 years? Who, me? :P

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
You sheltered lucky souls have all had it too easy if you were able to so easily pigeonhole one of these choices as the worst.

Until you have been on the losing end of a long-term relationship gone bad, in which apathy leads to unrequite and also infidelity, then you are all rank amateurs in the world of bad relationships.

So put me down for the apathy/unrequite/infidelity trifecta.  And for kicks, throw in the shame of having subjugated self for the supposed betterment of the whole for so many years that when it finally does come crashing down you've forgotten who you used to be and what you once thought was important.

Still bitter after 14 years?  Who, me? :P

:notworthy One of the very few SL&P posts of yours in which I am in total agreement. As far as I'm concerned, you nailed it. Great Post!

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 05:03 AM)
:notworthy One of the very few SL&P posts of yours in which I am in total agreement.  As far as I'm concerned, you nailed it.  Great Post!

Wow, I have to agree, YAS, this is one of the few SL&P posts of *yours* in which I am in total agreement. Jim did nail it. :D

I am hearing Paul Simon singing . . . still bitter after all these years . . .. In reality I'll bet Jim has let go, the family seems like a huge upgrade. :cheers

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 06:44 AM)
Wow, I have to agree, YAS, this is one of the few SL&P posts of *yours* in which I am in total agreement. Jim did nail it.  :D

I am hearing Paul Simon singing . . . still bitter after all these years . . .. In reality I'll bet Jim has let go, the family seems like a huge upgrade.  :cheers

I really enjoyed your post in the 'grilled cheese sandwich' thread. That's all I'm giving you though. :lol:

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 07:18 AM)
I really enjoyed your post in the 'grilled cheese sandwich' thread.  That's all I'm giving you though.  :lol:

As long as it isn't a political post you are agreeing with. I don't want Kerry to stop sending me emails. :D That would be the saddest breakup

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 07:21 AM)
As long as it isn't a political post you are agreeing with. I don't want Kerry to stop sending me emails.  :D That would be the saddest breakup

I know your not all that keen on the Kerry emails. You're hoping he introduces you to Hanoi Jane.

Seeing as how I was The Heartbreaker in every single previous relationship I ever had, I feel like I'm ineligible to participate in this Misery Circus.

:P

....I voted "cheating partner".....that little $%#@&......although in another relationship I WAS the little $%#@&.....so I guess life evens it all out in the end......

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 07:24 AM)
I know your not all that keen on the Kerry emails.  You're hoping he introduces you to Hanoi Jane.

I am much sadder that George stopped sending out emails. I always looked forward to reading his. I was never a Fonda fan. I thought her anti-war activities were distasteful, and way closer to treason that I'm comfortable with.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
Beer dosn't............

lie to you

cheat on you

talk back to you

have jealous asshole friends always coming in between you

and it always makes you feel better.

Beer is the ONLY choice here.

I suddenly feel much healthier about my view on relationships. . .

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 07:44 AM)
In reality I'll bet Jim has let go, the family seems like a huge upgrade.  :cheers

That I have, and of course if I had somehow worked things out with the alien fiend dressed in human skin 14 years ago I wouldn't be where i am with my wife and kida now. All of whom appear to be keepers at the moment. :D

But I think it's good to keep some small bit of the bitterness over the failed ones too, even if only to empathize with others and give a point of reference.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

flasoxxjim summed it up pretty much perfectly for me, although i will have to say that cheating sucks horribly.

i was recently divorced and the divorce part of it was OK. it was for the best. i wasn't happy about it per se, but i do think that if we just got divorced and went on our way we still would have been able to be friends. this is important considering we have a daughter.

but she cheated. i confronted her about it when were still married and she denied, denied, denied. when we separated she acknowledged she was "friends" with this guy, but again denied and denied anything else. as soon as we were divorced, she acknowledged they were dating.

that's f***ing heartless, imo.

the funny thing is, about a year ago she was convinced i was cheating (i wasn't, not even close) and i saw how torn up she got about it. then she turns around and does it. meh.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 08:35 AM)
I suddenly feel much healthier about my view on relationships. . .

:notworthy great post.

by the way, why isn't death on here? I've heard stories of newlyweds losing their partner on their honeymoon, etc.

that's sad.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
:notworthy  great post.

by the way, why isn't death on here? I've heard stories of newlyweds losing their partner on their honeymoon, etc.

that's sad.

Way to hold out hope for some sort of reprieve, spoken like a soon-to-be newlywed! :D

Hmm. This seems to have evolved into a Marriage Thread. Odd, that natural progression. I sure wish we could do some things to strengthen that sacred bond between a man and a woman. How about a Constitutional Amendment Banning Divorce?

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
Hmm.  This seems to have evolved into a Marriage Thread.  Odd, that natural progression.  I sure wish we could do some things to strengthen that sacred bond between a man and a woman.  How about a Constitutional Amendment Banning Divorce?

Move to Ireland . . . :lol:

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 04:36 PM)
Hmm.  This seems to have evolved into a Marriage Thread.  Odd, that natural progression.  I sure wish we could do some things to strengthen that sacred bond between a man and a woman.  How about a Constitutional Amendment Banning Divorce?

not a bad idea. at least the laws will reflect a little closer the 10 commandents that are displayed in the court houses :)