The bottom of the roster

TLAK

Last year the White Sox opened the regular with 11 pitchers and 14 position players. This year the 11 pitchers are probably Buehrle, Contreras, Garcia, Garland, Hermanson, Marte, Politte, Cotts, Jenks and Vizcaino plus either Hernandez or McCarthy as the 5th starter. If Hernandez is healthy I would expect Bmac to start in AAA simply because he has options and would be just 24 hours away.

If Konerko doesn’t re-sign, although I expect him to, I think KW will spend the earmarked money on a starter who will slide right into Paulie’s role or as the DH with Jim Thome taking over 1B. So the only regular position in play is Center Field where Brian Anderson, Jerry Owens and Chris Young are expected to contend. I think the two who lose out to go to the minors because they need to play every day.

This leaves Harris, Ozuna, Perez, Widger, Borchard and Gload -plus who ever KW brings in or Ozzie sees on his satellite dish this winter- to duke it out over the final 5 spots. I view Widger and Ozuna as locks. Harris has to stick if only because you must have more than one backup infielder, he can also play the outfield and can run.

Among Perez, Borchard and Gload I would pick Borchard, a switch hitter who can survive in all three OF positions. Borchard is also out of options and has such a high ceiling I doubt he could be gotten through waivers –kind of a use him or lose him situation. Perez is the odd man out because keeping him will probably lose you Borchard, and he really doesn’t do anything that Borch and Harris can’t do. The other cut is Ross Gload, having Thome on the team negates his value as a back up 1B and, even if his arm is healthy he can’t compete with JoBo in the outfield.

The bottom of the roster was a great asset to the 2005 Chicago White Sox. Despite the grumbling over the ‘Sunday’ lineup it was these subs who let Ozzie avoid playing his starters into the ground. However it shakes out, the guys who stick are going to play a lot, so this is well worth watching.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
I'd say there is a little bit of a chance that Viz gets non-tendered but I do doubt that.

Yeah, that's an option. I don't have any handle on what he would be due at arbitration, but the Sox would likely sign him to a 1-year contract, then trade him for a borderline prospect, than lose him for nothing by being non-tendered.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
Yeah, that's an option. I don't have any handle on what he would be due at arbitration, but the Sox would likely sign him to a 1-year contract, then trade him for a borderline prospect, than lose him for nothing by being non-tendered.

Agreed. Just throwing that out there cause that could be an option but I don't expect it.

The candidates are Marte, Hermanson and Vizcaino. Two short men and a middle. I doubt Hernandez can do these jobs. In terms of a season, I don't think El Duque is suitable for any role other than starter. If BMac is going to take his place then Orlando has to be moved. The ramificaton of that is who becomes your 6th starter in case of injury? Sean Tracey?

QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)
The candidates are Marte, Hermanson and Vizcaino.  Two short men and a middle.  I doubt Hernandez can do these jobs.  In terms of a season, I don't think El Duque is suitable for any role other than starter.  If BMac is going to take his place then Orlando has to be moved.  The ramificaton of that is who becomes your 6th starter in case of injury?  Sean Tracey?

El Duque's not going to be the fifth starter, unless someone gets hurt. Pretty much, his options are as a long reliever, or he'll be traded -- one of the two.

You figure he'd like pitching on more of a daily basis, and have a chance to be in a game, than pitch every five days. But ptact says his shoulder can't handle it, which is understandable. Plus, I could see El Duque not wanting to be 'demoted' to the bullpen -- but I wouldn't look at it like that, because if he can pitch in the mid-90s in the bullpen (meaning, hit 92-93 rather than 88-89), I think he'll be a big addition to the bullpen.

Then again, I'd also be in favor of trading Hermanson -- I doubt his trade value will ever be higher -- and put Bajenaru in the bullpen, but I doubt Baj ever gets a shot with the Sox...

Duke will make $4.5M next year, is injury prone and 45 years old. I'm not really sure how many teams are going to want him, probably none. We didn' thave a long reliever last year so Duke would be filling a new position in the bullpen. He could be a pretty decent long man and give the Sox something they didn't have last year, even if he is overpaid.

Duke will make $4.5M next year, is injury prone and 45 years old. I'm not really sure how many teams are going to want him, probably none. We didn' thave a long reliever last year so Duke would be filling a new position in the bullpen. He could be a pretty decent long man and give the Sox something they didn't have last year, even if he is overpaid.

I agree with you. I think we are stuck with El Duque. $4.5 million is a lot of money for him but he earned a lot of it in clutch time during the playoffs. At least we will have a solid long reliever and spot starter in case there's an injury to our rotation.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)

Depending on the team, a playoff contender might take him just for his experience in the post-season. That being said, its highly doubted some team would take him on just for the playoffs.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
Any comments on my thought that Timo and Ross Gload are gone, while Willie and JoBo stay?  I thought the screen would burst into flames when you guys read that.

I like it.

I hate the idea of Timo Perez staying on this team, just because Ozzie will continue to give him playing time he doesn't deserve if he's on the roster. He's more expensive than JoBo since we already paid the Human Borch's signing bonus, and at least if Borchard hits .218, He'll hit a few of them out of the ballpark. He simply can't be worse than Timo, and if somehow he starts putting up numbers like he did in the 2nd half last year at AAA, he could maybe rebuild some of that trade value we all wish he had.

And with Thome on this team...if PK is signed, we have 2 guys who can play 1b. Thome should only play there sparingly yes, but he can give PK a rest some days, which is something we didn't have at all last year until we traded for Blum (remember the day Timo started at 1b?) Therefore, if PK is signed, there is no good reason for Gload to be on our 25 man roster - that would be 3 guys who's job is to play 1b or DH, which IMO is too many, especially when we have a 3b with a back problem.

Edit...hmph...7000 posts. Yay.

Edited by Balta1701

Timo and Gload gone? Hells yea, sounds like a plan to me. Gload does nothing above average, and for his position, he's a terrible run producer. Timo's shortcomings have been well documented, and we have other guys (Willie or Ozona) that can fill the role of versatile speedster off the bench.

I think were stuck with El Duque, which might not be a bad thing if he's willing to except being a spot starter and/or long man. I hope he realized that we're counting on him to show up big time at least a few times next year, (hopefully in October again) and that he's making 4.5 million, so he won't complain too much.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 05:59 PM)
Timo and Gload gone?  Hells yea, sounds like a plan to me.  Gload does nothing above average, and for his position, he's a terrible run producer.  Timo's shortcomings have been well documented, and we have other guys (Willie or Ozona) that can fill the role of versatile speedster off the bench.

I fully agree on Timo...but have we really seen enough of Gload as a starter in the big leagues to say for certain that he does "Nothing" above average? I mean, he at least was rookie of the month 1 time, and he did hit over .300 in his only long stint in the big leagues, and he supposedly is capable of playing very good defense.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 12:40 AM)
I fully agree on Timo...but have we really seen enough of Gload as a starter in the big leagues to say for certain that he does "Nothing" above average?  I mean, he at least was rookie of the month 1 time, and he did hit over .300 in his only long stint in the big leagues, and he supposedly is capable of playing very good defense.

I don't see where Gload fits on this team. Hell, he didn't fit last year when we didn't have Thome.

Edit to add: This is assuming we retain Konerko.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 01:45 AM)
I don't see where Gload fits on this team.  Hell, he didn't fit last year when we didn't have Thome.

Edit to add:  This is assuming we retain Konerko.

Your edit is the real key part. Sans Paulie...we may not have a better option.