Officials wary of border uniforms made in Mexico

Texsox

WASHINGTON -- The labels inside U.S. Border Patrol uniforms have been making many federal agents feel uneasy.

It's not the fit or feel of the olive-green shirts and pants, but what their labels read: “Made in Mexico.''

Agents and lawmakers are concerned about the consequences if the uniforms for agents charged with combating illegal immigration fall into the hands of criminals or terrorists.

U.S. Rep. John Carter, R-Round Rock, worries about how easy it might be for people to cross the border if they stole a uniform.

Customs officials say they haven't detected any security breaches or misuse of the uniforms. Strict security measures are in place, including on-site inspections at the Mexican plant.

For more than a year, the shirts and pants worn by agents and inspectors with U.S. Customs and Border Protection have been made in Mexico.

The uniforms are supplied by VF Solutions of Nashville, Tennessee, which subcontracts its work to plants in the U.S., Mexico, Canada and the Dominican Republic.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 07:17 AM)
That's typical.  You'd think we could have the uniforms made in the US.

There aren't too many companies left that could manage the contract. It's all part of being competitive. People would point to a $150 uniform and point out how wasteful it is when they could be made for $95 in Mexico.

Keep in mind that until a couple years ago, you could walk into a Military Surplus store and buy a uniform for cheap along with many of the accouterments.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 07:54 AM)
So why worry about border patrol uniforms when we are selling military uniforms in stores?  :headshake

Its not as easy to impersonate a soldier or BP guy as you might think. First you can't screw up any details of your "uniform" because someone will always spot it. Secondly if you get that much right you need to know what you're talking about. You fail to answer casual questions from whoever about whatever people get suspicious. Lastly.........after you get all that right........you need ID and the new ones they have are extremely hard to counterfeit.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 07:40 AM)
There aren't too many companies left that could manage the contract. It's all part of being competitive. People would point to a $150 uniform and point out how wasteful it is when they could be made for $95 in Mexico.

Keep in mind that until a couple years ago, you could walk into a Military Surplus store and buy a uniform for cheap along with many of the accouterments.

So, we keep giving handouts to the poor when our Government could put them to work instead of shipping the jobs to another country. Yep. That makes sense to me. :headshake

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)
So, we keep giving handouts to the poor when our Government could put them to work instead of shipping the jobs to another country.  Yep.  That makes sense to me.  :headshake

Government run factories. Nice idea comrade.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 08:52 PM)
I'd settle for giving them a shovel and having a canal dug from the Mississippi to the Pacific Ocean.

And screw over the company with an owner that risked everything to start a canal digging business. The same guy who would be paying for the project via his taxes?

This is the problem whenever the government starts running businesses unrelated to a function of the government and is competing with private business. It sounds great on the surface, but, as a taxpayer, do you want these people on *your* payroll? All of a sudden they have government jobs with government benefits, you were going to provide insurance?

A friend of mine was forced to lay off 8 workers when his company lost a nice cable assembly contract to a prison system. I am certain voters in the state that put the prisoners to work, were delighted they were learning a skill and paying their own way, but the families effected by the lay off were probably less than enthused about the program.

But YAS, I do agree, it just feels good to have them work. And it has plenty of upsides, greater self esteem, job skill development, getting some productivity from our tax dollars. I just don't know how to accomplish that without harming private business that is already providing that service. And come on how about a smiley for the comrade reference?? :huh :lol: