Thome Press Conference

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(heirdog @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 07:36 PM)
If he can guarantee that 5th year at $13 mill per, he could really help get PK back but alas, it will fall to KW and Jerry.

Prediction: Thome will be batting clean-up and protecting Dye

Dye won't be batting 3rd. My prediction is that Nomar will be batting 3rd for the Sox next season.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
It seems like the chances of the Sox resigning PK are fading by the day.  I've heard from different sources that the Sox are interested in signing Nomar if PK goes elsewhere.  Nomar would be a DH/back-up 3B.

Don't forget his agent is also Frank's agent with whom the Sox have an excellent relationship. I had picked Nomar to sign with the Sox last year, as a favor to him to get him back on his feet again. I could still see this happening if all else fails.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 07:44 PM)
Don't forget his agent is also Frank's agent with whom the Sox have an excellent relationship.  I had picked Nomar to sign with the Sox last year, as a favor to him to get him back on his feet again.  I could still see this happening if all else fails.

Another board also has a guy who usually has inside information that says Nomar is the back-up plan. I personally think it would be a great fit for Nomar, as he could play 3b if Crede has back problems. If you can put Nomar/Thome in the 3-4, and have enough money left to re-up Garland and AJP, that would be a great offseason.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
Ha, you know that was just some shot in the dark.  The Nomar stuff is actually information that is out there.  The Pena stuff was not.

I had a chance to take a shot at you, had to be done. :P The Nomar thing actually makes perfect sense to me if Paul fell through.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 07:46 PM)
I had a chance to take a shot at you, had to be done. :P  The Nomar thing actually makes perfect sense to me if Paul fell through.

Not a problem. The funny thing is that I made the Pena prediction well before he actually had a monster end to his season.

Another board also has a guy who usually has inside information that says Nomar is the back-up plan.  I personally think it would be a great fit for Nomar, as he could play 3b if Crede has back problems.  If you can put Nomar/Thome in the 3-4, and have enough money left to re-up Garland and AJP, that would be a great offseason.

I agree with this scenario and I believe the info is out there and Williams is considering it.

If Thome is considered a calculated risk, Garciaparra has to be considered one as well.

You'd be looking at healh-risk, former sluggers in both the three and four spots? Hmmmmmm...

Let's just make sure Plan B is leagues away from Plan A. Paulie needs to be the priority, no question.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
If Thome is considered a calculated risk, Garciaparra has to be considered one as well.

You'd be looking at healh-risk, former sluggers in both the three and four spots?  Hmmmmmm...

Let's just make sure Plan B is leagues away from Plan A.  Paulie needs to be the priority, no question.

Agreed. Kenny isn't afraid to take risks though so don't count that scenario out. I honestly don't think Thome is that big of a risk, Nomar on the other hand would obviously be a huge risk.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)

You'd be looking at healh-risk, former sluggers in both the three and four spots?  Hmmmmmm...

Let's just make sure Plan B is leagues away from Plan A.  Paulie needs to be the priority, no question.

welcome to the chicago cubs part two. Hard to have 2 SERIOUS injury risks in the same lineup.

Agreed.  Kenny isn't afraid to take risks though so don't count that scenario out.  I honestly don't think Thome is that big of a risk, Nomar on the other hand would obviously be a huge risk.

Yes, and I believe if the Sox did something with Garciaparra, the contract would reflect that risk level, i.e. pay for performance.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
welcome to the chicago cubs part two.  Hard to have 2 SERIOUS injury risks in the same lineup.

You got it, Rock...not crazy about the idea. Nomar is going to be a calculated risk for some club next year and that is fine. But, I don't think that club should be the Chicago White Sox. The Sox have just a bit more on the line to lose this year coming off a World Championship and I don't think this is the time to start gambling on former sluggers.

Again, if you are able to get Garciaparra for a song it might be a bit more tolerable. But, I just don't like the idea. Not a chance he comes close to putting up Konerko's 2005 numbers...luckily, I think Kenny Williams realizes this. I have all the confidence in the world in Williams, he is a first-rate GM.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
You got it, Rock...not crazy about the idea.  Nomar is going to be a calculated risk for some club next year and that is fine.  But, I don't think that club should be the Chicago White Sox.  The Sox have just a bit more on the line to lose this year coming off a World Championship and I don't think this is the time to start gambling on former sluggers.

Again, if you are able to get Garciaparra for a song it might be a bit more tolerable.  But, I just don't like the idea.  Not a chance he comes close to putting up Konerko's 2005 numbers...luckily, I think Kenny Williams realizes this.  I have all the confidence in the world in Williams, he is a first-rate GM.

Executive of the Year to be exact... ;)