Canadian government "Set to fall"

southsider2k5

I'm a little bit depressed about this. I don't see what has really changed in the past 19 months or so to warrant another election. But I guess in Canada where there are never coalition governments when the parties can't get along anymore, dissolution has gotta happen. For a while it was the Conservatives and Seperatists decrying how the liberals no longer had 'the moral authority to govern', and the liberals and NDP making compromise deals but the minute the Liberals refused to compromise with the NDP, the NDP began saying the "Gomery inquiry has found the liberal party guilty". Plus, most people seem to be predicting that this will likely weaken the government anyways as the liberals will probably win again but by a smaller margin and if the conservatives win by a small margin they'll still have no allies for governing. I really wanted to see Paul Martin with a chance to govern a majority but it doesn't look like he'll get a chance to. He did a great job keeping the party afloat even when the opposition before the last election actually sang Na Na Na Hey hey hey goodbye. Paul Martin owned Stephen Harper once and I hope he can do it again. Then we need a fresh face to be leader and the favorite for that is Frank McKenna who some of you may know, as he is our current ambassador to the US and has appeared on American tv numerous times.

good Bloomberg article about it

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=1...9BHA&refer=home

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
You say that like its a bad thing. :bang

From being out here in California where we keep having idiotically called special elections every few months it seems...yeah it is a bad thing. If there's such a thing as election fatigue, this state is seeing it right now.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
From being out here in California where we keep having idiotically called special elections every few months it seems...yeah it is a bad thing.  If there's such a thing as election fatigue, this state is seeing it right now.

I think once the initial battles and pissing contests were over with, it would be a much more cooperative system for the most part. The current set up we have gives no incentives for working together and advancing government. Right now the minority parts role is to pick apart the exsisting majority and stall government to prohibit the majority from getting any "victories" that might further their stranglehold on the government.