A's sign Esteban Loaiza

bkmoney

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, this signing blows me away. As I've said in Trade Winds, Loaiza seems to represent the polar-opposite direction the A's seem to be heading. I think it's safe to say his better years are behind him, he's making a substanial amount of money via this free agency signing, and he's up there in age.

I can't quite wrap my head around this one...maybe things will start to surface and this will make a little more sense.

I am just wondering if any of these deals will impact Paulie's impending deal. Ryan's deal was outrageous, now Loaiza gets $21 Million for 3 years, he will be 34 and only had one great year (with the Sox).

Also, how will this impact Zito's siuation. Most say he will be dealt now that they have his replacement in the rotation. Hopefully he will go to the NL.

BTW, sorry to double post the topic, didn't see it in the other forum. Admin can you merge?

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
3 years, 21 million dollars.  this deal is insane.  very "un A's-like"

I'm talking about the breakdown of salary each year. Maybe it is back-loaded and he will be traded in the future.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
I'm talking about the breakdown of salary each year.  Maybe it is back-loaded and he will be traded in the future.

That would make sense if it was something like Oakland or Washington signing a guy who's been pitching at the Cell or at Coors field...but Loaiza was pitching in Washington last year. How logical is it to expect that his performance in another ballpark is going to improve over pitching in that ballpark in DC?

If it were to be backloaded, that would mean that for a trade to make sense, Loaiza would have to improve over the numbers he had last year - it seems very few of us think he's worth $7 million a season, and next year there will be more pitchers available on the FA market, so just trying to trade him doesn't necessarily make sense.

The good thing about Loaiza is that he’ll give you innings. You can pretty much count on him in giving you 200+ innings. He’s not a bad #4 or #5 starter for the A’s. But the amount of money that he’s going to receive is bad. For the A’s that is

Thats what I kinda figured. Zito was only due something like $8.25 Million for 2006. Now E-LO gets about $7 Mill per year. That is just under what the Sox are paying for Freddy and Mark (each @ $8 mill). I hope this is not the offseason of over paid players, but it sure looks like it.

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(toasty @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
This isnt a trade, how's come its over here on trade winds and my post on soxtalk main forum got nixed?

Also in Around the Horn, should be merged there:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=43665

I posted in here mainly about the rumors about Zito moving on the E-LO deal. Where is Zito headed because there are definitely rumors that he will be gone now that the A's have a replacement for him.

I am just wondering if any of these deals will impact Paulie's impending deal.  Ryan's deal was outrageous, now Loaiza gets $21 Million for 3 years, he will be 34 and only had one great year (with the Sox).

Also, how will this impact Zito's siuation.  Most say he will be dealt now that they have his replacement in the rotation.  Hopefully he will go to the NL.

BTW, sorry to double post the topic, didn't see it in the other forum.  Admin can you merge?

Cinny for Dunn?