Rock and Roll HOF

Mplssoxfan

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is so stupid it makes me sick What a load of crap. I liked Blondie a lot and owned all their albums but do they deserve this before the Ventures, J. Geils Band, The Cars, Turtles, Zombies? One could go on and on.

Miles Davis as great as he was has very very little to do with Rock and Roll.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

Miles Davis had a huge influence on all musical genres, rock and roll being one of them, and that's why he's being inducted. It's a stretch, yeah, but lots of people and groups are in the Hall and they aren't traditional rock and roll artists as most people would describe them.

You have Buffalo Springfield in there, they were very short lived but were an enormous influence for the entire next generation of musicians. So it's an imperfect selection process.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 03:03 AM)
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is so stupid it makes me sick What a load of crap. I liked Blondie a lot and owned all their albums but do they deserve this before the Ventures, J. Geils Band, The Cars, Turtles, Zombies? One could go on and on.

Miles Davis as great as he was has very very little to do with Rock and Roll.

do you think the zombies had enough material to get in?

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 08:47 PM)
Miles Davis had a huge influence on all musical genres, rock and roll being one of them, and that's why he's being inducted.  It's a stretch, yeah, but lots of people and groups are in the Hall and they aren't traditional rock and roll artists as most people would describe them.

You have Buffalo Springfield in there, they were very short lived but were an enormous influence for the entire next generation of musicians.  So it's an imperfect selection process.

So you're saying Miles Davis had a huge influence on country music?

Seriously, whatever influence he may have had on rock and roll was slight and not hall of fame worthy. It's ridiculous when true rock legends are being ignored and Miles Davis is in. Is Leon Russell in? Dr. John? Carol King? The Mothers of Invention?

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 09:39 PM)
do you think the zombies had enough material to get in?

As a huge Zombies fan, yeah I do, but I'm admittedly predjudiced. They certainly had much more strong material than Percy Sledge and he's in based on one remarkable performance.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:53 AM)
As a huge Zombies fan, yeah I do, but I'm admittedly predjudiced. They certainly had  much more strong material than Percy Sledge and he's in based on one remarkable performance.

i'm not familiar with the R&R hall of fame selections, i mean, odessey and oracle is one of my favorite albums of all time, i just wasn't sure what consistency there was in the selections. personally, i think the whole concept is stupid.

One of my favorite songs is I want Her she wants me...

beautiful

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
i'm not familiar with the R&R hall of fame selections, i mean, odessey and oracle is one of my favorite albums of all time, i just wasn't sure what consistency there was in the selections. personally, i think the whole concept is stupid.

One of my favorite songs is I want Her she wants me...

beautiful

Yeah, that's a great song, as is This Will Be Our Year. What a great album, not a bum cut.

Best of the Zombies:

She's Not There

Tell Her No

The Kind of Girl

Leave Me Be

Don't Cry For Me

Whenever You're Ready

Indication

I Love You (pretty big cover hit for a group called People)

You Make Me Feel So Good (covered by the Buckinghams)

Time Of The Season

Funny thing about the Zombies and the success of Oddessy & Oracle. That album came out in either late '68 or in '69 and the Zombies had broken up in '67.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 05:43 AM)
Yeah, that's a great song, as is This Will Be Our Year. What a great album, not a bum cut.

Best of the Zombies:

She's Not There

Tell Her No

The Kind of Girl

Leave Me Be

Don't Cry For Me

Whenever You're Ready

Indication

I Love You (pretty big cover hit for a group called People)

You Make Me Feel So Good (covered by the Buckinghams)

Time Of The Season

Funny thing about the Zombies and the success of Oddessy & Oracle. That album came out in either late '68 or in '69 and the Zombies had broken up in '67.

yeah i've read about that...their album cover for oddessy and oracle was classic.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 11:47 PM)
So you're saying Miles Davis had a huge influence on country music?

Seriously, whatever influence he may have had on rock and roll was slight and not hall of fame worthy. It's ridiculous when true rock legends are being ignored and Miles Davis is in. Is Leon Russell in? Dr. John? Carol King? The Mothers of Invention?

Zappa was inducted in 1995. Sure, an argument can be made that the MOI should be in the HOF in their own right, but Frank was the genius behind MOI and his induction recognizes all facets of his life's work, IMO.

It is an unbelievable travesty that Carole King is not in if that is true.

I pay little attention to who is inducted anymore, and agree wholeheartedly about the incrreasingly diluted pool of potential inductees.

Miles influenced 20th century music in more ways than can be chronicled, though, so I'm not going to argue his induction.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 10:02 AM)
I have no problem with that.  :huh

Rush was a HUGE band, they are still going as the three same members. They have had more influence on people than Blondie has. It's just now in retrospect that they are NOT carrying on as well, due to the "Prog Rock" negativity that the world has gained. But Rush was huge. They deserve it more than many bands that have been placed in there. Same goes for Judas Priest.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
Rush was a HUGE band, they are still going as the three same members. They have had more influence on people than Blondie has. It's just now in retrospect that they are NOT carrying on as well, due to the "Prog Rock" negativity that the world has gained. But Rush was huge. They deserve it more than many bands that have been placed in there. Same goes for Judas Priest.

I agree that a lot, if not most bands have no business in the HOF, we'll disagree on Rush. What do you mean by the Prog Rock negativity?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)

I'll give you Rush, but notJudas Priest as Hall-worthy. Whatever "Hall-worthy" is worth, anyway.

Rush are the undisputed inheritors of the power trio mantle previously worn by Cream, the Experience, and ZZ Top. Nirvana could maybe have wrested the title away if they survived.

Yeah, they should be in the Hall.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
Seriously, you're wrong.  And I'm not a Miles Davis fan at all.

Seriously, I think I'm right. There's no disputing Miles Davis belongs in a Hall of Fame but this is the ROCK and ROLL hall of fame. He doesn't belong there. Rod Argent of the Zombies and Argent has said he was a big Miles fan (as I'm sure were many other Rock artists) and that he was influenced by his music but come on, the line has to be drawn somewhere. Is John Coltrane going to be in the Rock hof too? Beethoven? Bach? I just think Miles Davis as a ROCK hof'er is too much a stretch.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
Seriously, I think I'm right. There's no disputing Miles Davis belongs in a Hall of Fame but this is the ROCK and ROLL hall of fame. He doesn't belong there. Rod Argent of the Zombies and Argent has said he was a big Miles fan (as I'm sure were many other Rock artists) and that he was influenced by his music but come on, the line has to be drawn somewhere. Is John Coltrane going to be in the Rock hof too? Beethoven? Bach? I just think Miles Davis as a ROCK hof'er is too much a stretch.

Not to be a jerk, but to me this sounds like a Hall of Fame argument from any HOF. Should they do away with the Ford Frick award? You don't really need an announcer and he/she certainly doesn't have an effect on the game. It just is a part of the overall experience.

Miles Davis is part of the history of Rock and Roll. There may branches off of blues and jazz and country, but they all have had some influence on R&R.

Plus, one could argue that Miles Davis was Rock and Roll simply because of attitude.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
Personally I think Cotrane should be in there, but no matter.  I'm more interested in watching the Cream reunion concert on Channel 11 Wed. nite.

Ginger Baker was one of the ugliest dudes around back in 1967. I frightened to see what he looks like now.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
I agree that a lot, if not most bands have no business in the HOF, we'll disagree on Rush.  What do you mean by the Prog Rock negativity?

Prog Rock is possibly the most hated style of music, just behind New Age. No matter how brilliant bands of that genre were, they are still usually laughed at. Prog bands are usually a little melodramatic.