Rock and Roll HOF

Mplssoxfan

the HOF has to get people through the door, and that's what a band like Blondie does. I do think they belong, they sold a lot of records and truly were a crossover type band. Starting in the punk scene, they were able to score disco hits and even have an early hit with a rap influenced song.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ginger Baker was one of the ugliest dudes around back in 1967.  I frightened to see what he looks like now.

Thinner, more worn around the edges, and age 66. Doesn't look too much different from other 66 yr. old guys out there I guess.

Cream actually played twice in Chicago, on the south side to be exact. April and October 1968 at the Chicago Coliseum, 15th and Wabash.

QUOTE(JimH @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
Thinner, more worn around the edges, and age 66.  Doesn't look too much different from other 66 yr. old guys out there I guess.

Cream actually played twice in Chicago, on the south side to be exact.  April and October 1968 at the Chicago Coliseum, 15th and Wabash.

That's the good thing about being "ugly as sin" in your youth, sometimes other people just catch up to you in the aging scheme.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
Prog Rock is possibly the most hated style of music, just behind New Age. No matter how brilliant bands of that genre were, they are still usually laughed at. Prog bands are usually a little melodramatic.

you are right. But i am on the side that laughs at it...

especially coheed and cambria...

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 10:03 PM)
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is so stupid it makes me sick What a load of crap. I liked Blondie a lot and owned all their albums but do they deserve this before the Ventures, J. Geils Band, The Cars, Turtles, Zombies? One could go on and on.

Miles Davis as great as he was has very very little to do with Rock and Roll.

Two words: b****es Brew.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
Anybody think any rappers could get in?  I think Public Enemy should be in when they can be nominated.

Public Enemy had better get in there. So should stuff like Run DMC and Grandmaster Flash. I hate Rap and Hip Hop, but there is no denying how important those bands and people are to an entire movement.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
I was waiting for someone to mention that. He's still a jazz artist and has no place in the rock and roll hof, just my opinion.

honestly, i agree with you...

while i believe miles davis deserves every bit of accolade he gets (thou does anyone else feel coltraine was better? i mean listening to coltraine/davis collaborations i can't help but feel that coltraine somewhat blows him outta the water) i'm just under the impression that we wouldn't induct jim thorpe into the basketball hall of fame just because he had an impact on all athletes. On the other hand, they should get some good artists in there to off set some of the crap they've put in.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 07:59 PM)
'Prog' became 'alternative', but 'alternative' had it right.....in the beginning.

By the way, if Coheed is what's underground nowadays... :puke

i think coheed is getting rather big, from what i've gathered... i'm sorry man, i just hate rush, dream theatre, early genesis, and s*** like coheed. None is as bad as coheed with their, oh my god, a running story among all three albums! but, i still dislike it.

I don't even like late pink floyd much. I like animals, but i don't think anything is as good as the stuff they did with Syd Barret...

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
honestly, i agree with you...

while i believe miles davis deserves every bit of accolade he gets (thou does anyone else feel coltraine was better? i mean listening to coltraine/davis collaborations i can't help but feel that coltraine somewhat blows him outta the water) i'm just under the impression that we wouldn't induct jim thorpe into the basketball hall of fame just because he had an impact on all athletes. On the other hand, they should get some good artists in there to off set some of the crap they've put in.

Pecisely. I couldn't agree more and about Coltrane too. Just for the record I enjoy Pharao Sanders even more.

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
i think coheed is getting rather big, from what i've gathered... i'm sorry man, i just hate rush, dream theatre, early genesis, and s*** like coheed. None is as bad as coheed with their, oh my god, a running story among all three albums! but, i still dislike it.

I don't even like late pink floyd much. I like animals, but i don't think anything is as good as the stuff they did with Syd Barret...

I'm with you 100% on all of that.

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)

Don't even lump early Genesis (the REAL Genesis) in with everything else up there. It couldn't be helped that they were so all over the map musically that there had to be a new designation (prog rock or art rock or whatever) for what they were doing.

Selling England by the Pound and Trespass are high water marks for the style and for album rock as well. There is almost nothing beyond the Lamb Lies Down that is even worth listening to as far as Genesis goes.

I agree there are losts of cases where prog rock groups pressed things to the point of absurdity. Most of the E.L.P. catalog comes to mind as does the more ponderous musical masturbations on Yes albums like Relayer and Topographic Oceans. And I'm not nearly the devotee of the style as Kid is (not by a longshot). But to me, the amorphous prog rock label has basically meant anything that doesn't feel it needs to adhere to typical pop formulae for song structure and takes a stab at something new.

And it is maleable too, which is I think an inherent part of the style (non-style?). King Crimson had pretty much jumped the shark creatively, as talented as Fripp and Co. were. But then the streamlined Belew/Levin/Bruford iteration comes along and it wasfresh and frenzied and relevant again.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
  And I'm not nearly the devotee of the style as Kid is (not by a longshot)....

Well I'm not THAT into Prog. Yes, I enjoy numerous bands in the style, but I don't try to defend it, as I fully understand why people would NOT like a band like Eloy.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
You mean you didn't like Ripples?

Ach, see that is why I had to say almost none of the post-Gabriel stuff does it for me.

Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering are both pretty solid outings (with some spottty patches), and they show that the band still had some musicianship and artistry even after Gabriel.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
Well I'm not THAT into Prog. Yes, I enjoy numerous bands in the style, but I don't try to defend it, as I fully understand why people would NOT like a band like Eloy.

I tend to simply ascribe to the theory that German rock bands basically suck.

And yes, that includes the Scorpions, even though I can tolerate some solo UJR stuff.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 08:52 PM)
Don't even lump early Genesis (the REAL Genesis) in with everything else up there.  It couldn't be helped that they were so all over the map musically that there had to be a new designation (prog rock or art rock or whatever) for what they were doing.

Selling England by the Pound and Trespass are high water marks for the style and for album rock as well.  There is almost nothing beyond the Lamb Lies Down that is even worth listening to as far as Genesis goes.

I agree there are losts of cases where prog rock groups pressed things to the point of absurdity.  Most of the E.L.P. catalog comes to mind as does the more ponderous musical masturbations on Yes albums like Relayer and Topographic Oceans.  And I'm not nearly the devotee of the style as Kid is (not by a longshot).  But to me, the amorphous prog rock label has basically meant anything that doesn't feel it needs to adhere to typical pop formulae for song structure and takes a stab at something new.

And it is maleable too, which is I think an inherent part of the style (non-style?).  King Crimson had pretty much jumped the shark creatively, as talented as Fripp and Co. were.  But then the streamlined Belew/Levin/Bruford iteration comes along and it wasfresh and frenzied and relevant again.

i would consider the amorphous prog rock label to mean concept albums. Rock operas. GArbage like that. i respect the musicianship of many of those you mentioned, especially adrian Belew, and if i had the choice between gabriel genesis or collins genesis...my god would anyone choose collins genesis? (besides christian bale in American psycho)

and the absurdity part is what defines the criticism of prog. Personally, i hate 15 minute epic songs, one of the many reasons why i hate the mars volta of today...length does not a song make, just because there are twists and turns and different voices (barf) ... anyways...

(and i can listen to 25 minute songs by non rock bands, (GY!BE, jazz, tortoise and such) but i feel that is just not a part of rock music.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
Public Enemy had better get in there. So should stuff like Run DMC and Grandmaster Flash. I hate Rap and Hip Hop, but there is no denying how important those bands and people are to an entire movement.

Also LL Cool J, OutKast(They aren't just a rap group), and maybe even 2Pac.

Wow, good discussion. Thanks, everyone.

A few points:

1. I'm pretty sure that Rush just became eligible this year or last. I certainly could be wrong about that, though. I think they're in soon, maybe the next couple of years.

2. Run-DMC, GrandMaster Flash and Public Enemy will be inducted; in the case of PE, probably in their first year of eligbility.

3. Even though I still don't see it, I guess Miles is a good choice. Bob Marley is in, and I would guess Miles is nearly as influential as Bob.

4. Blondie? C'mon, now. They were a construct of Andy Warhol, they didn't last very long, and one of their biggest hits was Debby Harry rapping (and I use that term unbelievably loosely) nonsense. "All they do is eat guitars"? Please.